Help me diagnose this pain.

DisneyRunner

Original Poster
The pain is in the bottom, front of my knee. Right where the shin muscle meets the knee cap. If I rub the area it hurts. And when I flex my foot it too hurts. It's not ITB or shin splints. I'm familiar with those. I looked into runners knee and I don't think it's that either. Thanks.

cmatt

sounds like a ligament/muscle pain - i would however... see a doc! Also strap up and rest :p

I have my right knee strapped up to the hilt when i run - i have floating pieces of cartilage in my knee...

mousefan1972

The pain is in the bottom, front of my knee. Right where the shin muscle meets the knee cap. If I rub the area it hurts. And when I flex my foot it too hurts. It's not ITB or shin splints. I'm familiar with those. I looked into runners knee and I don't think it's that either. Thanks.

Need more info... does it hurt going up or down stairs? Worse in the morning or night? Hurts when you flex your foot towards your head or like when you're pushing a gas pedal? Is there swelling? How much/how often do you run?

Based on what you wrote, it sounds like infrapatellar bursitits.

That is my professional opinion. :D (I'm an orthopedic physical therapist w/ 14 years of experience)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Need more info... does it hurt going up or down stairs? Worse in the morning or night? Hurts when you flex your foot towards your head or like when you're pushing a gas pedal? Is there swelling? How much/how often do you run?

Based on what you wrote, it sounds like infrapatellar bursitits.

That is my professional opinion. :D (I'mIs it an orthopedic physical therapist w/ 14 years of experience)
possible to have this pain some days and not the other. Like it is flared up at times and others not. I have some pain there and if you rotate to the inside of the knee I have it at times on runs, but other not and everything is great. I have started to document on my spread sheet of running times if I took advil in the last 2-3 hours prior to that run to see if the 2 are related. So far no.

Weird. It might be that im mid 30's and have been active my whole life and things are just starting to hurt a bit.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
possible to have this pain some days and not the other. Like it is flared up at times and others not. I have some pain there and if you rotate to the inside of the knee I have it at times on runs, but other not and everything is great. I have started to document on my spread sheet of running times if I took advil in the last 2-3 hours prior to that run to see if the 2 are related. So far no.

Weird. It might be that im mid 30's and have been active my whole life and things are just starting to hurt a bit.
It sucks to get older don't it? Things just don't heal like they did when you were 18.

mousefan1972

Sometimes the surface you are running on can affect whether there is pain or not. Road running can increase pain as there is a slight curve on most streets, causing one leg to be slighly higher than the other. Also it is pretty easy to develop a muscle imbalance as the front and outside of your quad tends to get a lot stronger compared to the inside of your quad. This imbalance can pull your patellar tendon out of its groove, causing a painful condition called chondromalacia patella.

Richard... speak for yourself! :D

joel_maxwell

It sucks to get older don't it? Things just don't heal like they did when you were 18.
I know. My mental state is still 18 and thinks it should. :lol:

Sometimes the surface you are running on can affect whether there is pain or not. Road running can increase pain as there is a slight curve on most streets, causing one leg to be slighly higher than the other. Also it is pretty easy to develop a muscle imbalance as the front and outside of your quad tends to get a lot stronger compared to the inside of your quad. This imbalance can pull your patellar tendon out of its groove, causing a painful condition called chondromalacia patella.

Richard... speak for yourself! :D
Yikes, that sounds yummy.

I try and run on sidewalks as much as possible. If I run on the left side of the street, for safety, I can really tell my right shin just goes nuts. I usually run on the sidewalk. Some areas dont have them so Ill alternate in that area from the right side to the left etc to balance it out.

DisneyRunner

Original Poster
I try to vary my running surfaces. Recreational paved trail, track, street and treadmill. When I run on paved trails and the street I try to run towards center to avoid the drainage curve. I also wonder if it could be my shoes. I alternate pairs. However, one is a stability shoe and the other is a neutral cushion shoe. I usually stretch twice a day to ward off injury.

joel_maxwell

I try to vary my running surfaces. Recreational paved trail, track, street and treadmill. When I run on paved trails and the street I try to run towards center to avoid the drainage curve. I also wonder if it could be my shoes. I alternate pairs. However, one is a stability shoe and the other is a neutral cushion shoe. I usually stretch twice a day to ward off injury.
I did the switch shoe thing depending on the type of run for a while and came to the conclusion that it was only hindering me. My foot and arch would get use to one shoe then I would switch later that week and my feet would feel the soreness. Everyone is different, but I would say this isnt helping.

I dont have an option about surface. It is the tough cement and sidewalks all the way.

Stretching during the day is smart. I do that a little. I mean when you stretch for 20 minutes before a run and hold poses 10-20 seconds too long, you can fatigue your body. I have done that before too. A good thorough stretch/pull on the pose for 5-10 seconds is all I give. Most stretches double work certain areas anyway.

mousefan1972

Make sure you aren't overdoing it on the treadmill. Those things can be knee-killers. It definitely sounds like some type of inflammatory process, either bursitis or tendonitis. Ice your knee a few times a day for 15 minutes and try to rest it.

joel_maxwell

Make sure you aren't overdoing it on the treadmill. Those things can be knee-killers. It definitely sounds like some type of inflammatory process, either bursitis or tendonitis. Ice your knee a few times a day for 15 minutes and try to rest it.
I ran 5 miles last January on a treadmill and vowed never to get on one again. We had constant ran for 5 days and it was 3 weeks before my first half. I wasnt going to miss another day of training due to the rain.

I was more sore running 5 miles on a treadmill then 13.1 on cement. NO LIE!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom