Help Me Decide!!

NelleBelle

Original Poster
I apologize upfront for the long post...
I typically am in my element planning Disney trips for my family of 4 (my mom usually comes along and is happy to do whatever and stay wherever). I usually am trying to stay within a certain budget as I have 5 we're paying for. But this trip is different!

I'm taking my mom to WDW to celebrate her retirement from 45-years of nursing (she's still currently working in a university medical center ER, is at high-risk herself as a T1-diabetic who also has a pacemaker for a cardiac issue)! She is an avid cruiser and owns a condo in St. Maarten but because of covid, has not been able to cruise or visit her condo. So she decided she'd like to do a girl's-only trip to WDW next spring (we're looking at end of April or mid-May so it's warm enough to swim--we Pacific Northwesterners like the heat)! Looking at renting points for studio/1-br (we're ok sharing a bed as neither of us are doing a fold-out) vs hotel side (if available). With the DVC, the question is, do we want a full kitchen vs. just the kitchenette. Background: we're both vegetarian (she will occasionally eat turkey or chicken) but I do eggs/cheese/dairy when I travel. We're both T1-diabetics.

She wants to be close enough to parks that we don't have to rely on buses for our primary transportation. We've stayed at the Contemporary before and liked it for the most part. I thought the atrium rooms were a little noisy and I didn't necessarily care for the bathroom sinks. But she really likes how retro it feels and how the monorail comes right into the hotel. I thought the pool was completely bland and desperately needed some landscaping! I think we'd like to possibly stay at Bay Lake. Walking to MK is definitely a plus! My only real drawback is that we've stayed here before. But the Wave sounded good and I had one of my best meals at California Grill (due to my dietary and food allergies, the chef came out to meet me and asked me what I liked to eat--I mentioned tofu and said a lot of the sides on the meat dishes sound really good; he made me my own 3-course meal, completely off menu). Not sure if the chefs are still able to do this with covid though? But hoping things are getting a little better next spring.

My next thought was either a regular room at the Yacht Club--the refurbished rooms look beautiful! Or one of the villas at Beach Club. I like that you can walk to Epcot and the Skyliner. The pool looks incredible and given that the water parks opening is unlikely, which we love to do, this is a great substitute! I think the location can't be beat for food options and I'm dying to try Il Mulino at the Swan! My mom also loves anything "beach-themed."

Polynesian was on my list until I heard it was going to shut down and be refurb'd 😕

Any thoughts? If this were your mom retiring, where you stay? Normally I'd pick something out I want as DH doesn't care and we tell the kids that if there's no input they can suck it up, buttercup! But this is different! I want this to be special!! It's hard for me to make any decisions as for what kind of special dinner plans to make with everything so up in the air (e.g. would loved to have done V&A but who knows when that's returning) 🤷‍♀️

Club Cooloholic

I apologize upfront for the long post...
I typically am in my element planning Disney trips for my family of 4 (my mom usually comes along and is happy to do whatever and stay wherever). I usually am trying to stay within a certain budget as I have 5 we're paying for. But this trip is different!

I'm taking my mom to WDW to celebrate her retirement from 45-years of nursing (she's still currently working in a university medical center ER, is at high-risk herself as a T1-diabetic who also has a pacemaker for a cardiac issue)! She is an avid cruiser and owns a condo in St. Maarten but because of covid, has not been able to cruise or visit her condo. So she decided she'd like to do a girl's-only trip to WDW next spring (we're looking at end of April or mid-May so it's warm enough to swim--we Pacific Northwesterners like the heat)! Looking at renting points for studio/1-br (we're ok sharing a bed as neither of us are doing a fold-out) vs hotel side (if available). With the DVC, the question is, do we want a full kitchen vs. just the kitchenette. Background: we're both vegetarian (she will occasionally eat turkey or chicken) but I do eggs/cheese/dairy when I travel. We're both T1-diabetics.

She wants to be close enough to parks that we don't have to rely on buses for our primary transportation. We've stayed at the Contemporary before and liked it for the most part. I thought the atrium rooms were a little noisy and I didn't necessarily care for the bathroom sinks. But she really likes how retro it feels and how the monorail comes right into the hotel. I thought the pool was completely bland and desperately needed some landscaping! I think we'd like to possibly stay at Bay Lake. Walking to MK is definitely a plus! My only real drawback is that we've stayed here before. But the Wave sounded good and I had one of my best meals at California Grill (due to my dietary and food allergies, the chef came out to meet me and asked me what I liked to eat--I mentioned tofu and said a lot of the sides on the meat dishes sound really good; he made me my own 3-course meal, completely off menu). Not sure if the chefs are still able to do this with covid though? But hoping things are getting a little better next spring.

My next thought was either a regular room at the Yacht Club--the refurbished rooms look beautiful! Or one of the villas at Beach Club. I like that you can walk to Epcot and the Skyliner. The pool looks incredible and given that the water parks opening is unlikely, which we love to do, this is a great substitute! I think the location can't be beat for food options and I'm dying to try Il Mulino at the Swan! My mom also loves anything "beach-themed."

Polynesian was on my list until I heard it was going to shut down and be refurb'd 😕

Any thoughts? If this were your mom retiring, where you stay? Normally I'd pick something out I want as DH doesn't care and we tell the kids that if there's no input they can suck it up, buttercup! But this is different! I want this to be special!! It's hard for me to make any decisions as for what kind of special dinner plans to make with everything so up in the air (e.g. would loved to have done V&A but who knows when that's returning) 🤷‍♀️
Boardwalk or BC. Both are great and give you lots of options for Dining.

Club Cooloholic

Any thoughts on a studio vs a 1-BR? We've only stayed in a 2-BR when we've gone with the big family.
Studios and one bedrooms don't really have much difference in terms of how many you can sleep(in fact you can sleep more in studios usually), the main differences are obviously you have 2 rooms as opposed to one, a full kitchen, washer/dryer, and a bigger bathroom set up in the master, so since it's just the two of you what counts is, do you want a full kitchen, do you want to be able to do laundry in the room, and do you need separate rooms for privacy.

nickys

Premium Member
If you want to treat your Mom and decide to go DVC I would go for a 2-bed. Otherwise Mom is going to be sleeping on a pull-out (except at OKW).

Bay Lake Cove is a small pool. I quite like it but if you like water parks then IMO either the YC or BCV is the way to go. You can still experience the vibe of the Boardwalk but you have SAB; staying at the Boardwalk doesn’t give you both options.

Club Cooloholic

If you want to treat your Mom and decide to go DVC I would go for a 2-bed. Otherwise Mom is going to be sleeping on a pull-out (except at OKW).

Bay Lake Cove is a small pool. I quite like it but if you like water parks then IMO either the YC or BCV is the way to go. You can still experience the vibe of the Boardwalk but you have SAB; staying at the Boardwalk doesn’t give you both options.
Or...she can take the pull out and give mom the bed.

Club Cooloholic

OK I just re-read the OP’s post. Seems this is for just her and Mom and she did say they would be OK sharing a bed. I thought it was all 5 of them going.
So in that case, a studio would be fine unless they want a kitchen. Still say BCV or YC though.
Lol I missed the bed part too. I know money is no object but the upgrade to a one bedroom is pretty sizable and expensive. That said, 2 bathrooms is nice even with one other person, and if mom is used to condo living she might want the extras. But agree a studio should be fine for 2.

JIMINYCR

Since the reason for the trip is to celebrate her years of working hard and finally retiring, I'd make this trip all about her wants. Since she enjoys the Contemp, the easy walk to MK, the monorail.. I'd ask her if she would prefer Contemp again. The Wave is an underrated treasure and is well worth visiting. Cali grill is still one of the best spots to enjoy a celebratory meal. I'd take her to Uptown Jewelers at MK and get her something nice to commemorate the event too.

Communicora

Premium Member
Since the reason for the trip is to celebrate her years of working hard and finally retiring, I'd make this trip all about her wants. Since she enjoys the Contemp, the easy walk to MK, the monorail.. I'd ask her if she would prefer Contemp again. The Wave is an underrated treasure and is well worth visiting. Cali grill is still one of the best spots to enjoy a celebratory meal. I'd take her to Uptown Jewelers at MK and get her something nice to commemorate the event too.
That sounds really nice. I hope you have a lovely trip!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

I think the Boardwalk area is your best bet based on the criteria you've listed.

NelleBelle

Original Poster
Any benefits to having the studio kitchenette at BC to a regular room at YC? I've asked her which she'd prefer and I think she'd like the pool area at BC/YC rather than the boring pool at the Contemporary. Part of me is leaning towards the YC just so we can have our own beds (I have to read with my kindle to go to sleep and sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and need to read to get back to sleep).

NelleBelle

Original Poster
I love this idea! Don't know why I didn't think of something like that before!!

NelleBelle

Original Poster
Hi! Does it have to be a Disney Resort?
For this trip it does. We’ve done all types of stays before from on-property to off to renting vacation homes with extended family. Because my mom is choosing to take a retirement trip to WDW, the only other consideration we would do would be Four Seasons but she isn’t interested in that. She wants to either be on the monorail or be at one of the Epcot resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom