HELP! Arrival day!

decbysteph

I keep going over this in my mind, trying to figure out what to do on our arrival day. This is our first trip (me, DH, and DD5) We will be leaving our home at 4 a.m. December 7th, and flying into Orlando at 11. We are staying at the BCV. I HATE flying and usually feel half deaf, dizzy and weird for about a day after, so I don't want to do any rides this first day. Since we are staying at BCV was thinking of either walking over to World Showcase and hanging out there for the afternoon and having dinner. Or going to MGM, seeing the parade and then doing the Mama Melrose Fantasmic thing. Anyone have any opionions or suggestions that would help me choose?? We are staying 5 days. Any help is appreciated!

decbysteph said:
I keep going over this in my mind, trying to figure out what to do on our arrival day. This is our first trip (me, DH, and DD5) We will be leaving our home at 4 a.m. December 7th, and flying into Orlando at 11. We are staying at the BCV. I HATE flying and usually feel half deaf, dizzy and weird for about a day after, so I don't want to do any rides this first day. Since we are staying at BCV was thinking of either walking over to World Showcase and hanging out there for the afternoon and having dinner. Or going to MGM, seeing the parade and then doing the Mama Melrose Fantasmic thing. Anyone have any opionions or suggestions that would help me choose?? We are staying 5 days. Any help is appreciated!

Either of your thoughts sound fantastic! I personally am a little in love with MGM, so if you went there, grabbing a snack and going to see Beauty and the Beast or the Motor/Action Stunt show might be nice. (Then, if you really are deaf from the plane ride, you don't have to hear the explosions:) .) We (my family) decided the Fantasmic dinner package is a little bit of a rip-off. You pay for more than you eat, and the section they reserve for you is WAY over on the right (when you walk in) side of the theater. I sat there once - not worth it. We usually have dinner, then grab ice cream or popcorn and get there about an hour early. By that time, we're seated middle to top where we have a great view of EVERYTHING!

If you go to Epcot, besides Soarin, Mission space, and Test Track, all the rides are pretty mild. (And maybe Maelstrom in Norway if you're picky.) The countries are a lot of walking though, so if you're tired, it might not be the way to go. Although going to eat dinner at one of the countries, then finding a seat for Illuminations would be fun too. Either way you go, you'll have a great time!! :)

Upvote 0

Chape19714

I would do Epcot, but aviod the following, because of fast movement or flight-like sensations: Soarin, Test Track, Mission Space, Reflections of China, Impressions de France, and O Canada! The last 3 because of the 360 degree or tall 180 degree screens, which can make you FEEL like you are moving. I would say the American Adventure is Fine. Have a great dinner somewhere, like my favorites :bistro de Paris, Rose & Crown, Le Celliar (if you can get in.) Then camp out for Illumanations! That'd be the best bet, and because you're at the Beach Club, you are just a short walk away from World Showcase via the International Gateway (between France and the UK). If lines for the boats are long after the show, the walk is very quick. I'd save Fantasmic for a day when you have more energy, besides, Fantasmic has more loud, sudden explosions then Illumanations.

Hope this helps! Have a great Trip!

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

I have found that if I wear regular earplugs for the entire flight, I don't tend to have such a hearing problem afterwards. I generally have lots of problems with my ears with flying, but this one thing seems to work well, maybe because it eliminates all the background noise on the plane and doesn't make my ears clog where they then need to pop.

Upvote 0

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
It's just sort of a personal thing with me, but I don't really like going to the parks on my arrival day.

I like to go to Downtown Disney. That way when I go to the parks for the first time, I can really enjoy walking in in the morning fresh and knowing I've got the whole day to spend.

It also lets me relax getting there and checking in, because I don't feel like I have to rush to get anywhere.

Upvote 0

autumndawn1006

My favorite first night activity is to take a bus to the TTC and then take a monorail to the Polynesian. At the Polynesian you can see the Seven Seas Lagoon Floating Electrical Parade. It's awesome!!

Upvote 0

3fordisney

We usually leave about 4 or 5 am as well, but thats to drive to WDW. We do not go to the parks the day we arrive. After the trip down there, we like to check-in and get settled in and start our days at the park on the following day.

Since you would be getting in about 11 am, your thoughts were great. You may also want to consider seeing Wishes at MK as well. If you don't want to do rides or go to the parks, I would suggest Downtown Disney. We usually go there when we arrive to stretch our legs. We also resort hop and check out the other hotels on the property as well as ride the monorail around. Its something to consider if you want to experience wdw without going to a park and riding the rides.

Upvote 0

DPirate

Our first day we are going to DTD and let the girls get pampered at Bippity Boppity Boutique and the boys at Cool Dude. Then off to Norway for dinner with the Disney princesses.:lol:

Upvote 0

jim1051

Last December we did a short trip to MK just cuz we had 2 little princesses with us. We watched cinderellabration and di a few other little things.

We left there for an early dinner at chef mickey's so the lil ones got up close to characters. Then 2 monorails to epcot for fireworks For some and home to BCV for the rest.

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

Your daughter might really enjoy hitting the pool on that first day, and then dinner at BOMA, where you can see the animals in the dark or at Chef Mickey's, to get to see Mickey on Day 1. If you go to Chef Mickey's you can also take a monorail ride.

Your MGM or Epcot ideas sound good too, depending on how beat you are from the trip. Epcot is beautiful but is a LOT of walking.

And our experience at the Fantasmic dining package was great. We ate at Hollywood and Vine, which was yummy, and really enjoyed not having to get in line so early for Fantasmic. The seats were fine, but the shortcut in and out was worth the package for us.

Upvote 0

Tweedle Adie

Depending on how long you want to be at the aprk and how much walking you want to do

MGM has more shows, and less walking there is the Beauty and the Beast show, and the Little Mermaid show, followed up by Fantasmic.

If you go to Epcot you could try to go to the Princess Dining at Norway though I am not sure if this is breakfast and lunch only.

Upvote 0

3dwarfs

For us, we didn't want to feel rushed or do anything exhausting like attempting to tour a park. We will be arriving around 11 so my children and I will spend time in the pool at the resort, looking around the grounds at Pop Century(where we are staying), then dinner at Le Cellier. If they feel up to it we can watch illuminations also. Anything more I think would be too much for the 1st day.

Upvote 0

M. Racer

garyhoov said:
It's just sort of a personal thing with me, but I don't really like going to the parks on my arrival day.

I like to go to Downtown Disney. That way when I go to the parks for the first time, I can really enjoy walking in in the morning fresh and knowing I've got the whole day to spend.

It also lets me relax getting there and checking in, because I don't feel like I have to rush to get anywhere.

Exactly!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom