Help a newbie! :)

JChoma

I'm planning our family's first WDW trip April 18 (Monday)- 23rd (Sunday). SO excited- and overwhelmed! My husband and our 2 kids (girl- age 5, boy- age 8) will be touring the parks with BOTH sets of grandparents Monday-Friday, staying offsite in a family friend's rental home in Clermont. Saturday and Sunday the g-parents depart and just kids, hubby and I are staying onsite (Caribbean Beach Resort) Saturday and Sunday. We fly home Monday. This means just our family of 4 can make FP reservations 60 days out for Sat & Sunday. The remainder of our trip, FP is 30 days out since we're offsite. We are touring MK on Monday, Thursday and Sunday, HS on Tuesday, AK on Wednesday, Epcot on Friday, and Saturday is a "chill at hotel pool/ head to Epcot at night" day. I would appreciate any and all advice on how to plan our days! We don't plan to take mid-day breaks and want to start our days early. How much can you reasonably see at Disney at a relaxed pace? Is it completely insane to arrive at MK when it opens and still be there for the fireworks? We don't care about the preschool-type rides (magic carpet, barnstormer) but what are the absolute-do-not-miss rides? Thanks SO much!!!

SAV

Is it completely insane to arrive at MK when it opens and still be there for the fireworks?

Nope, not at all. We do it every trip and did it when our kids were of a similar age. Many people will try to convince you to take a mid-day break, but we never did and the kids did just fine all day and night.

As for what to do, you'll get so many different replies to this. I agree with Figgy to just get the Unofficial guide and read up on the attractions.

Upvote 0

JChoma

Original Poster
Nope, not at all. We do it every trip and did it when our kids were of a similar age. Many people will try to convince you to take a mid-day break, but we never did and the kids did just fine all day and night.
So good to know! And hey, nice profile picture....we live in Chicago. :) Go Blackhawks!

Upvote 0

Princess Kaylee

I'm planning our family's first WDW trip April 18 (Monday)- 23rd (Sunday). SO excited- and overwhelmed! My husband and our 2 kids (girl- age 5, boy- age 8) will be touring the parks with BOTH sets of grandparents Monday-Friday, staying offsite in a family friend's rental home in Clermont. Saturday and Sunday the g-parents depart and just kids, hubby and I are staying onsite (Caribbean Beach Resort) Saturday and Sunday. We fly home Monday. This means just our family of 4 can make FP reservations 60 days out for Sat & Sunday. The remainder of our trip, FP is 30 days out since we're offsite. We are touring MK on Monday, Thursday and Sunday, HS on Tuesday, AK on Wednesday, Epcot on Friday, and Saturday is a "chill at hotel pool/ head to Epcot at night" day. I would appreciate any and all advice on how to plan our days! We don't plan to take mid-day breaks and want to start our days early. How much can you reasonably see at Disney at a relaxed pace? Is it completely insane to arrive at MK when it opens and still be there for the fireworks? We don't care about the preschool-type rides (magic carpet, barnstormer) but what are the absolute-do-not-miss rides? Thanks SO much!!!

Do not miss: MK: Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Railroad, Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Autotopia, People mover, Winnie the Pooh, mickeys philarmagic, Peter pans magical flight, small world, the laugh floor, little mermaid ride.

AK- Kilimajoro Safari, Rafakis Planet Watch, Dinosajr, Nemo show, flights of wonder.

HS- Toy story Midway, voyage to the little mermaid, frozen sing along.

Epcot- Nemo, Test Track.

- It is possible to get there early and stay for the fireworks but try to break up the day with a character meal. My favorites include Cinderellas Royal Table, Crystal Palace,1900 park fare, and Chef Mickeys.

Upvote 0

JChoma

Original Poster
Do not miss: MK: Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Railroad, Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Autotopia, People mover, Winnie the Pooh, mickeys philarmagic, Peter pans magical flight, small world, the laugh floor, little mermaid ride.

AK- Kilimajoro Safari, Rafakis Planet Watch, Dinosajr, Nemo show, flights of wonder.

HS- Toy story Midway, voyage to the little mermaid, frozen sing along.

Epcot- Nemo, Test Track.

- It is possible to get there early and stay for the fireworks but try to break up the day with a character meal. My favorites include Cinderellas Royal Table, Crystal Palace,1900 park fare, and Chef Mickeys.
Great tips!! Thank you! Thunder mt will be closed during our visit :(

Upvote 0

Princess Kaylee

Um, isn't that at Disneyland?

And I can't help but add one to the list above:

AK: Festival of the Lion King. It is IMO the best show on property. The kids will love it and could be in the show if you sit low enough.

It is also in tommrowland in WDW, it's a great ride.

Upvote 0

BrocksDoDisney

Hi!!! :)
I'm also a newbie and I will be going the week after you!
I've also been asking for planning tips and someone suggested www.touringplans.com, I paid the $13 and have made plans for us that I LOVE. (I know there could be hiccups that could throw the plan but I feel good having a plan.) We are doing rope drop to fireworks on all 3 days in parks...I have kids the SAME ages as you. I know they will be tired but they can sleep on the 16 hour drive back home. ;) (If we are lucky!)

I'm also bummed that Big Thunder Mtn is closed while we are there too! :(

I have found the forums very helpful as a newbie!

Upvote 0

Rsj88

We have always done rope drop to closing with and without kids. The only day we don't do this is Animal Kingdom day when we go back early for a break then head to Disney Springs. We usually only go for 4 days so we try to get it all in. The kids sleep in the stroller for naps or we take a break and ride the monorail. It was harder on my parents than the kids. When they come they usually meet us in the park a couple of hours after rope drop.

Upvote 0

JChoma

Original Poster
Hi!!! :)
I'm also a newbie and I will be going the week after you!
I've also been asking for planning tips and someone suggested www.touringplans.com, I paid the $13 and have made plans for us that I LOVE. (I know there could be hiccups that could throw the plan but I feel good having a plan.) We are doing rope drop to fireworks on all 3 days in parks...I have kids the SAME ages as you. I know they will be tired but they can sleep on the 16 hour drive back home. ;) (If we are lucky!)

I'm also bummed that Big Thunder Mtn is closed while we are there too! :(

I have found the forums very helpful as a newbie!
Well, I'll be sure to share any tips I have after our trip with you :) I also signed up for touring plans....it seems great! How many days are you going?

Upvote 0

Princess Kaylee

Actually it isn't. Autotopia is in Disneyland and the Tomorrowland Speedway is in Walt Disney World. While it is a similar ride, it has a different name. Be careful to not confuse a new person who is asking for help by giving them inaccurate information.

Oh okay, sorry... They are almost identical rides.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom