Hello From New Guy and Post Disney Depression

216bruce

Howdy! There's a lot of this going around- post Disney "blues" I mean. I'm 55 and a confirmed Disney-holic. Luckily my wife is a fan and my kids- 27 and 24 are fans too. We found out this week that my grandaughter gets to make her first trip next summer to WDW. She'll be 18 months (I know- too young) and the whole extended family is attending a wedding there so, she/us have little choice. My problem with post-Disney depression starts on the last day of the trip. I get this feeling of dread that "Well, it ends today." Rather Eeyore"ish" actually. Just start planning a new trip and it goes away.

jw24

First off, welcome to WDWMagic! Secondly, I share your pain of PDD (Post Disney Depression), as well. I mean, I'm 22 but as a kid, I never got to go to WDW at the right age (3-10 years old) and considering how unmemorable my visits were when I was 2 and 11, I've tried to make up for it with 3 trips in the past five years. Of course, I still want more but who doesn't? Part of the reason why I joined this forum in April was basically to share my love and appreciation for WDW considering how hard and potentially embarrassing it would be to confess my WDW obsession to the people I know in real life. It just feels so good and comforting to know you're not alone and people do also enjoy the things you also enjoy experience. I know I sound like a broken record when I say this but just being there is the best feeling of all. No more worrying about the real world and real problems. You're in a "bubble" full of fun, excitement and wonders.

DfromATX

First off, welcome to WDWMagic! Secondly, I share your pain of PDD (Post Disney Depression), as well. I mean, I'm 22 but as a kid, I never got to go to WDW at the right age (3-10 years old) and considering how unmemorable my visits were when I was 2 and 11, I've tried to make up for it with 3 trips in the past five years. Of course, I still want more but who doesn't? Part of the reason why I joined this forum in April was basically to share my love and appreciation for WDW considering how hard and potentially embarrassing it would be to confess my WDW obsession to the people I know in real life. It just feels so good and comforting to know you're not alone and people do also enjoy the things you also enjoy experience. I know I sound like a broken record when I say this but just being there is the best feeling of all. No more worrying about the real world and real problems. You're in a "bubble" full of fun, excitement and wonders.

We shouldn't be ashamed! My brother keeps making fun of me and rolling his eyes - I'm sure you all know someone like that. I keep telling him there are others like me!

Bethypoo

To deal with Disney Separation Syndrom, I make videos of our trips, plan my next trip (even if it's not soon), write and read other's trip reports, and hang around forums to both keep up on news and to help others with their vacations (or seek help for mine).

Oh, and Petro's is on me, my friend. Stay Orange!

(yes, that is the view from my seats...we lost that game though...really, it was a disgrace how we let victory slip. It was the last game that Dooley coached, as I recall.)

Ugh!! What's up with my GA friends? GO DAWGS! I miss Vince Dooley.

Welcome! You sound like a totally normal guy to me(except for the Vols fan thing:p). I wish there were more men who love Disney. I find planning the next trip brings much happiness-even if you don't think you can go. You never know. Hanging out here also really helps fight off the wish-I-were-at-Disney blues.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Ugh!! What's up with my GA friends? GO DAWGS! I miss Vince Dooley.

Welcome! You sound like a totally normal guy to me(except for the Vols fan thing:p). I wish there were more men who love Disney. I find planning the next trip brings much happiness-even if you don't think you can go. You never know. Hanging out here also really helps fight off the wish-I-were-at-Disney blues.

Vince Dooley, yes. His son, Derek Dooley, was the coach of TN for the past 3 years, and posted 3 terrible seasons. He was fired without notice late last year after a loss to Vandy.

I remember leaving Neyland after the game, and there were a lot of stunned, and angry UT fans calling for his head. That night at dinner Calhoun's BBQ, you could feel the UT fans simmering and Dooley's name came up a lot.

A few weeks later, he was gone. UT severed his contract.

UGA is my second favorite team. My sister went there, and I used to have season tickets, but UT is where my heart is!

I_heart_Tigger

Post Disney Depression is normal. My Dad was the first Disney nut in my family and my mom, sister and I caught the bug early. My Dad has since passed but the rest of us still go through withdrawl. My Mom and sister are a bit jealous since I've been twice since their last visit and I'm going solo next week. NEXT WEEK AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

It is always a little sad to be there without them but this year I am taking an iphone and they have ipads so we are going to FaceTime from MK. It will be bittersweet for them, I'm sure but it's the least I can do. I'm sure I'll look like an idiot and annoy people for the few minutes I hold out my phone to show them the castle but if it makes my family smile...to heck with anyone else.

Bethypoo

Vince Dooley, yes. His son, Derek Dooley, was the coach of TN for the past 3 years, and posted 3 terrible seasons. He was fired without notice late last year after a loss to Vandy.

I remember leaving Neyland after the game, and there were a lot of stunned, and angry UT fans calling for his head. That night at dinner Calhoun's BBQ, you could feel the UT fans simmering and Dooley's name came up a lot.

A few weeks later, he was gone. UT severed his contract.

UGA is my second favorite team. My sister went there, and I used to have season tickets, but UT is where my heart is!
I never even knew his son coached TN. I guess I don't pay enough attention. Well, at least UGA is your second favorite.

Tiggertoo56

Welcome!!!

Not only men suffer withdrawal symptoms - us ladies do too, and even teens and young adults. I'm actually planning to return next year with friends - started off as 2 couples - but we aren't allowed to visit without the kids (25,26 and 28, plus partners maybe!!!). They don 't want to miss out so there will be 2 families (plus extras) all acting like big kids as much of the time as possible, and will we worry. Heck NO!!!!:D

Mark In KY

Welcome!!!

Not only men suffer withdrawal symptoms - us ladies do too, and even teens and young adults. I'm actually planning to return next year with friends - started off as 2 couples - but we aren't allowed to visit without the kids (25,26 and 28, plus partners maybe!!!). They don 't want to miss out so there will be 2 families (plus extras) all acting like big kids as much of the time as possible, and will we worry. Heck NO!!!!:D
Any of you gonna be "packing heat just in case"?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

DaddyDisneyMan

Thanks for the love everyone!
I'm such a dork, the song Good Life by One Republic makes me miss Disney because that's the song they had the whole time on their commercials last year and we tried to trick our son by going to Cape Canaveral and telling him that was a trial run for our Disney trip and when we were leaving we told him we had lied to him and we were not going home so we played the song and because he was tired from driving all night he was like: we're going to Disney? Good. LOL definitely not one of those commercial moments.

You just gave me chills. That song it THE BEST ever! Every time I hear it, I think DISNEY!!!!!

WDWVolFan

Original Poster
You just gave me chills. That song it THE BEST ever! Every time I hear it, I think DISNEY!!!!!

Always...that song will always make me think of watching TV with my son and when it came on his eyes lighting up because it also reminded him of Disney...either before our trip or right after.

So I've had some really tough days the last 3 days...my PDD has always been there but this week, knowing that exactly one year ago I was at WDW and then seeing on FB that a friend is there with his son, that a fraternity brother was en route, that another fraternity brother is going down with his wife and then while Skyping with my dad, him telling me a cousin is going there in July was just torture.
I've been in this forum non-stop, can't concentrate...just get sad...my wife had made us t-shirts to go to Disney last year and I put my son to wear it yesterday and he misses Disney SO MUCH!
I'm planning on waking up earlier than my wife tomorrow and watch Disney XD with him (he got hooked on it while we were at WDW last year when we were back at the hotel getting ready or relaxing before going back) and looking over our pictures and talk about it.

This morning I woke up feeling a little better, a little more perked up, was productive but then as I went through the day...it hit me again.

Sorry guys...I feel stupid for feeling so sad...

NX2I85

I am a 49yo man. My spouse and kids share my Disney obsession, but the full blown WDW geekdom in the family is mine to own. As I write this I am listening to Wishes and drinking from one of my many Mickey coffee mugs. I was first infected with this Disney geekdom in 2000 when I went for the first time. Our oldest kiddo was but two years old at the time. I do think her excitement was only outstripped by my own. There have been many many trip since, but I love every glorious minute of being at Disney.

DaddyDisneyMan

Always...that song will always make me think of watching TV with my son and when it came on his eyes lighting up because it also reminded him of Disney...either before our trip or right after.

So I've had some really tough days the last 3 days...my PDD has always been there but this week, knowing that exactly one year ago I was at WDW and then seeing on FB that a friend is there with his son, that a fraternity brother was en route, that another fraternity brother is going down with his wife and then while Skyping with my dad, him telling me a cousin is going there in July was just torture.
I've been in this forum non-stop, can't concentrate...just get sad...my wife had made us t-shirts to go to Disney last year and I put my son to wear it yesterday and he misses Disney SO MUCH!
I'm planning on waking up earlier than my wife tomorrow and watch Disney XD with him (he got hooked on it while we were at WDW last year when we were back at the hotel getting ready or relaxing before going back) and looking over our pictures and talk about it.

This morning I woke up feeling a little better, a little more perked up, was productive but then as I went through the day...it hit me again.

Sorry guys...I feel stupid for feeling so sad...

No need to ever be sorry. I was in WDW 4 weeks ago and the pain has just subsided. My Disney depression still comes in waves. I am trying to convince my wife to go back again this upcoming March. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Roo Bear

My husband & the male half of our best friends feel exactly the same!! We have been 4 times & planning our 5th for October 2014 & all of us are as excited as we were the first time - actually probably more so as we know what's coming!! As far as your son goes I wouldn't worry too much - he'll have an awesome time whenever you can get there & my daughter (who will be 26 next year) & her boyfriend are coming with us & just sooooo excited. She has been before but not for 10 years but the boyfriend hasn't! Just enjoy it when you can & live off the amazing memories in between!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom