"Heat Advisory" for most of Florida - including WDW

MissM

Original Poster
Just a head's up everyone - it's BEYOND nasty outside here in Florida today.

Heat Advisory for Orange County, FL

from 12 pm EDT, Sat., Jun. 20, 2009 until 6 pm EDT, Sat., Jun. 20, 2009

Issued by The National Weather Service Melbourne, FL
2:41 am EDT, Sat., Jun. 20, 2009
... HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 6 PM EDT THIS EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MELBOURNE HAS ISSUED A HEAT ADVISORY... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 6 PM EDT THIS EVENING.

A LARGE RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT WILL BUILD EASTWARD ACROSS THE REGION AND CREATE UNSEASONABLY HOT TEMPERATURES. A HUMID AIRMASS AND THE HOT TEMPERATURES IN THE MID 90S WILL RESULT IN HEAT INDICES THAT WILL REACH OR EXCEED 105 DEGREES. THIS EXCESSIVE HEAT WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE WEEKEND WITH SIMILAR HOT TEMPERATURES EXPECTED ON SUNDAY... ESPECIALLY OVER INLAND AREAS AWAY FROM THE COAST.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
A HEAT ADVISORY MEANS THAT A PERIOD OF HOT TEMPERATURES IS EXPECTED. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS... STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM... STAY OUT OF THE SUN... AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS. IF POSSIBLE... CONDUCT ANY OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES EARLY IN THE MORNING OR LATE IN THE EVENING WHEN TEMPERATURES ARE COOLER.

MissM

Original Poster
Welcome to Florida. It gets hot here. Take precautions.:lol::lookaroun
Maybe I am used to it...:lol::lol::p
Yeah but it's worse than usual. Last nigh, 3am the feels-like was 98F. Currently in Tampa, the feels-like is 112F. I've been in Florida 23 years but this is kind of insane heat this early into the season - it's not even technically summer until tomorrow! - is really extreme. Even for us.

elisatonks

its indeed very hot here today, i'm seeking shelter inside the air con! They have also issued one for tomorrow at 4pm today.

... HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EDT THIS EVENING... ... HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TO 6 PM EDT SUNDAY...

A LARGE RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT WILL EXIST ACROSS THE REGION AND CREATE UNSEASONABLY HOT TEMPERATURES THIS WEEKEND. TEMPERATURES ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA HAVE CLIMBED INTO THE MID 90S THIS AFTERNOON AND THIS COMBINED WITH A HUMID AIRMASS IN PLACE HAVE GENERATED HEAT INDICES EXCEEDING 105 DEGREES.

THIS EXCESSIVE HEAT WILL CONTINUE SUNDAY AS EVEN WARMER TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED OVER THE INTERIOR WITH HIGHS IN THE UPPER 90S AND EVEN A FEW LOCATIONS REACHING 100 DEGREES. THIS WILL ONCE AGAIN CREATE SEVERAL HOURS OF HEAT INDEX VALUES FROM 105 TO 110 DEGREES DURING THE DAY SUNDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HEAT ADVISORY MEANS THAT A PERIOD OF HOT TEMPERATURES IS EXPECTED. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS... STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM... STAY OUT OF THE SUN... AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS. IF POSSIBLE... CONDUCT ANY OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES EARLY IN THE MORNING OR LATE IN THE EVENING WHEN TEMPERATURES ARE COOLER.

timeman

It is definitely Hot today down here. I usually come down here the First week of August when it is really hot and I figured I would come earlier and of course it is hotter then when I have come in August for the last two years.

NMBC1993

Yep just another exciting day in FL. It’s really bad when you have to keep your AC at 80 because the bills are so high but what can you do. It'd be great if I could go somewhere in the evening at Disney to get away from the heat, sit around and have a drink with a fun atmosphere:lookaroun:cry: Oh well maybe I'll go out with the guys later and grab a Kitchen Sink:slurp:

TP2000

Is this a good time to mention that here in Southern California the temperature for the Disneyland area today is currently 72 degrees at 3:30PM? The low tonight will be 62 degrees, and the high temperature forecast for tomorrow is 73 degrees? Maybe I should also mention that I am posting this right now from my hillside home a few miles from Disneyland with all the windows and sliding doors open enjoying the cool afternoon sea breeze?

If it's not a good time to mention that, I can come back later. :lol:

NMBC1993

Is this a good time to mention that here in Southern California the temperature for the Disneyland area today is currently 72 degrees at 3:30PM? The low tonight will be 62 degrees, and the high temperature forecast for tomorrow is 73 degrees? Maybe I should also mention that I am posting this right now from my hillside home a few miles from Disneyland with all the windows and sliding doors open enjoying the cool afternoon sea breeze?

If it's not a good time to mention that, I can come back later. :lol:

With all those fancy new nighttime updates of ours to enjoy in your 62 degree weather while we're stuck here sweating to death at 9 o'clock at night....meh I remember walking around Disneyland in June with shorts on and having the locals think I'm crazy...well actually it was because no one could understand why someone from FL would fly to CA to go to Disney:lol:

TP2000

I remember walking around Disneyland in June with shorts on and having the locals think I'm crazy.:lol:

For those keeping score at home... the thermometer here on my deck has slipped just below 70 degrees and with the breeze I have had to put on a sweatshirt.

But with the sweatshirt on, I should be able to keep the sliding glass doors open tonight until I finish watching Disneyland's new summer fireworks show in the distance. :D

lilclerk

But with the sweatshirt on, I should be able to keep the sliding glass doors open tonight until I finish watching Disneyland's new summer fireworks show in the distance. :D

It's not even that hot here yet but I'm officially jealous :animwink:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Not much better here. In Birmingham, todays high was 93 but they said it going to feel like 103... soooo, i dont care what it actually is, lets just say it is 103 if it is going to feel that hot.

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah but it's worse than usual. Last nigh, 3am the feels-like was 98F. Currently in Tampa, the feels-like is 112F. I've been in Florida 23 years but this is kind of insane heat this early into the season - it's not even technically summer until tomorrow! - is really extreme. Even for us.
Yep...Should be a nice summer.:lol:

And to think I want to go to WDW in Aug.:zipit::lol:

bayoutinkbelle

Meh, from one frying pan to another. :D

I left work last night just before midnight and the actual temp was 94. What I love about Louisiana heat is walking from the cool indoors into the wall of humidity outside. It's so oppressive that it feels like you're hitting a real barrier there. You try to look and see what you hit, but your glasses have fogged up and you can't see anything! :D

It's supposed to be at least 102 degrees here for two or three days here next week. Happy first day of summer, everyone!

Nemo14

Here in RI, we're not going to break into the 70's til Wednesday (71), with rain every day still....

Mushrooms anyone?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom