Healthcare- United Healthcare

draybook

Original Poster
Does anyone here have United Healthcare as their provider? Our company is switching from Blue Cross/Blue Shield next year and the reviews I'm seeing are not good. Also, the doctor's office that we take both of our littles to will be out of network but the other locations won't be. Very odd, considering that the one we take them to is literally half a mile away while the other locations are 10-20 miles away.

On a side note; it's hilarious for HR to tell us it's a move meant to help the employees, as if we don't realize it's a cost cutting measure. Especially in the face of the opioid lawsuits.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Does anyone here have United Healthcare as their provider? Our company is switching from Blue Cross/Blue Shield next year and the reviews I'm seeing are not good. Also, the doctor's office that we take both of our littles to will be out of network but the other locations won't be. Very odd, considering that the one we take them to is literally half a mile away while the other locations are 10-20 miles away.

On a side note; it's hilarious for HR to tell us it's a move meant to help the employees, as if we don't realize it's a cost cutting measure. Especially in the face of the opioid lawsuits.

It's been my experience that when a company changes the medical insurance company for their employees, it's not the best situation for the employees. (Been through that a few times down through the years.) And it doesn't matter too much about which "new" insurer is chosen (either United Healthcare or other), because the companies and the insurers negotiate specifics -- networks, copays, "cost sharing add-ons", etc. Bottom line: it's usually a cheaper (not necessarily better) healthcare program that your employer is switching over to.

Also, it depends upon whether your employer chooses a more restrictive HMO, versus a PPO -- with less restrictions such as no referrals, and patient access to many more doctors and hospitals. (Hence, your neightbor down the road who may have United Healthcare, but works for a different employer than you do, may not have the same "package" or premiums to pay that you may have. One of you may have a better deal than the other.)

Sorry to hear that your company is not keeping Blue Cross. All I can suggest is to read the fine print of the new insurance company they bring in for next year.

trr1

I have noticed also that the cost and the deductible/copay go up for the employee. tho get close to the same coverage my weekly premium would have went up 60 dollars and the one I was force to pick was 35 dollars more and the benefits decreased .the one I was paying for with good coverage that they discontinued

draybook

Original Poster
It's been my experience that when a company changes the medical insurance company for their employees, it's not the best situation for the employees. (Been through that a few times down through the years.) And it doesn't matter too much about which "new" insurer is chosen (either United Healthcare or other), because the companies and the insurers negotiate specifics -- networks, copays, "cost sharing add-ons", etc. Bottom line: it's usually a cheaper (not necessarily better) healthcare program that your employer is switching over to.

Also, it depends upon whether your employer chooses a more restrictive HMO, versus a PPO -- with less restrictions such as no referrals, and patient access to many more doctors and hospitals. (Hence, your neightbor down the road who may have United Healthcare, but works for a different employer than you do, may not have the same "package" or premiums to pay that you may have. One of you may have a better deal than the other.)

Sorry to hear that your company is not keeping Blue Cross. All I can suggest is to read the fine print of the new insurance company they bring in for next year.

Yeah, I told the guys in our huddle today that this was all about the company saving money. Our supervisors even told us that there wouldn't be a rep on site to explain anything or have a Q&A as has been the custom in previous years. Quite honestly, our company has been going downhill for the last 3-4 years when it comes to employee appreciation and communication. I guess that's why people are leaving in droves. We even lost the CFO and the medical segment CEO recently.

Tanna Eros

Yeah, I told the guys in our huddle today that this was all about the company saving money. Our supervisors even told us that there wouldn't be a rep on site to explain anything or have a Q&A as has been the custom in previous years. Quite honestly, our company has been going downhill for the last 3-4 years when it comes to employee appreciation and communication. I guess that's why people are leaving in droves. We even lost the CFO and the medical segment CEO recently.
Oh. That doesn't sound good. With just a little appreciation, a worker can do better, or at least, not feel like the job's a misery.
I always feel it's for the company's benefit if there's a sudden switch in insurance like that. As I recall, United was a little persnickety about location and selection of doctors.
We got switched from United to Anthem, and personally it was a step up for us, but everyone's medical needs are different- it could have been a step down for other employees.
MinnieM123's response explained some things for me, thank you.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
We have United. It's fine. It's expensive though, and it doesn't feel like we're covered as much as my friends at other companies. I had to pay $2,700 for my last CAT with contrast out of pocket, even after I had meet my deductible for the year. I actually skipped my last two stroke checkups because i cannot afford to pay that again. Routine checkups are covered, but when you need a little bit more you're paying for it.

Lilofan

I'm sure Disney is hiring...

draybook

Original Poster
Oh. That doesn't sound good. With just a little appreciation, a worker can do better, or at least, not feel like the job's a misery.
I always feel it's for the company's benefit if there's a sudden switch in insurance like that. As I recall, United was a little persnickety about location and selection of doctors.
We got switched from United to Anthem, and personally it was a step up for us, but everyone's medical needs are different- it could have been a step down for other employees.
MinnieM123's response explained some things for me, thank you.

We're actually switching from Anthem. Folks are not happy at all...

mmnw

Everyone will have different coverage or a different response to your question based on their company’s own specific plans. Some companies will kick in more and therefore more is covered. That often means the plan is more likeable to the employees and their family. An insurance provider might be great for one company or family and not great for another company or family based on the plan that company chose. In addition, like another poster said, it also depends if PPO or HMO is offered.

Simba’s Mom

I have United Healthcare and am very pleased. However, I had a very bad experience with a Blue Cross/Blue Shield salesman once and although I've heard some very good things, I won't use them. Too bad-maybe he was a brand new salesman and has since been let go for his tactics.

draybook

Original Poster
It all depends on the contract your company negotiated with UnitedHealthcare. That being said I have a friend that works in the medial field and he shudders at the mention of UHC.

Yeah, I figured that it breaks down to what the employer signs for. That's not good for us at all. They've become quite cheap and employees have become numbers instead of valued individuals. Ah well, hoping that a possible venture into the fuel industry pans out.

jaklgreen

We have them and they are expensive. We pay almost $600/month for our family and get 1 well check a year paid for. Then the rest we have to pay 100% until we reach our $2000 individual deductable. I believe it is $4000 for the family. So almost $10,000 out of pocket till they pay for things. And this is for employees that make under $100,000 a year.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

As a former consumer of United Health medical insurance let me be the first to say...I'm sorry for your loss. Your best option is to find another job that uses a better provider.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom