Have you ever gone to Disney World long distance without going on a plane or car?

cba

Original Poster
I know that probably the most popular way to get to Disney long distance is by plane and driving, but have you ever went to Disney a third way? Last visit I went on Auto Train last visit and I am using it again this summer.

jw24

I actually took an Amtrak train to Disney on my last trip. I went from Newark to Kississimee and then a taxi from there to my hotel. One thing is certain is that I'll never take a long-distance train without a sleeper. So uncomfortable in coach. Not enough space, too crowded and I couldn't sleep, at all. Leg room was nice but I need to lie flat to sleep, there's just no other way! On the other hand, people were more polite, no hassle checking in baggage and having to deal with security theater at the airports, and the service was nicer compared to most airlines.

FettFan

I WOULD....but Amtrak's rail lines suck.

To get to Orlando from New Orleans involves a layover in Washington DC.
25 hours from New Orleans to DC, then 30 hours from DC to Orlando.
Would cost $674 for round-trip train fare.

On top of that I'd have to rent a car in Orlando, which would be an extra $200 for the week, AT BEST.

So....a total minimum $874.00, for travel alone.

Compare that to me driving directly from Baton Rouge to Orlando....710 miles and 13 hours of travel time (11 on the road, plus breaks for food, bathroom, stretching, etc.)
With my Mustang running steady at 23mpg, it would take about 70 gallons for the whole week, running me about $250.00

It's a no brainer. Why would I spend over $600 more to be stuck for nearly 40 extra hours in a trip that would see me traveling somewhere I didn't even want to be to begin with?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Would be a bit time consuming to take a boat (the only option left for us UKers)
Have gone via boat and coach to DLP before It was a pleasant way to deal with the french (them on the outside of the coach us on the inside)

jmenjes

I've been taking Amtrak for the last 8 years. Usually around $75 for the round trip, which is about 4.5-5 hours each way.

Course it does help that I'm about 35 blocks away from the Amtrak station here in Hollywood...hop on a bus and I'm at the station in about 12 minutes.

SyracuseDisneyFan

We took Amtrak from Syracuse to NY and then NY to Orlando in 2008. We rented a car from there. Then we took Amtrak from Orlando to NY and then NY to Syracuse. Not sure we'd do the train again. I had a very bad sunburn from Cocoa Beach and sitting on my bottom on the way back was no fun.

real mad hatter

I tried sailing on a schooner in July,many many years ago,but ran into a tropical storm just east of Nassau.I ended up washed up on a small island off Haiti..It was there I met a Voodoo Prince who told me that he had friends on the other side.So we sat down to a lovely lunch of fresh pineapple and mango,washed down with spiced rum. Whit!!!:eek: You don't believe me...:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom