Have you ever cancelled a trip?

HouCuseChickie

I've thought about it with a couple of our WDW trips. I have really REALLY bad luck with cars. Days before our 2011 trip, the vehicle we were planning on using to drive to WDW was in an accident and likely wouldn't be repaired in time for the trip. Thankfully, we were able to make the luggage work with DH's car. Then there was the 2013 trip...as many people on here know, we were in a very serious car accident on our way to the airport while trying to go to WDW. I thought about canceling, but we were lucky enough to be able to walk away from it...so, after dealing with the few things I could handle at that time...I rebooked our flight for later that day, called Disney to push back our arrival time...and the rest is history. I mean, it may seem crazy, but there was nothing I'd be able to do to fix the car situation during that time- so we figured we might as well go on the trip. Obviously, had any of us required hospitalization- I would have canceled. Any serious injury/illness, death in the family, or serious financial issue would also force me to cancel. I had to cancel our 2012 Disneyland trip for financial reasons. We had a major fire at our side business (we really have cruddy luck sometimes) and DH just wasn't comfortable with spending that kind of $ on a vacay at that point b/c of it. Thankfully, we hadn't booked much at that point and weren't out any $.

Britt

Original Poster
Was planning on booking a bounceback on our trip last Sept for a trip this October to take a "bucket list" trip staying at the Contemporary in a park view room...wife, kiddo and I all agreed that we were burnt out on the world and wife and I decided there was not enough that we felt we got out of the trip for our dollar so we called it off. I am disappointed to this day but even if we booked the trip today I still think that the trip could not live up to our expectations based on memories from past trips.

Just our own personal experience though...results may vary lol.
I absolutely know how you feel, that's exactly where we were. We priced out a trip to WDW and with airfare...I just couldn't do it :/ I felt awful. It's the first time I ever felt like "Is this really worth the $6000+ it's going to cost us?" and answered "no". We're going to DL instead and it's going to be less than 1/2 of that, doing more stuff.

stevehousse

We had our trip planned for May 2014. I was depending on my tax return money to pay for it like I always do. I always get a good amount back for refunds. Well my new job I started May 2013 had the total wrong tax info and if it wasn't for my w-2 from my previous job I would have had to owe hundreds of dollars to the IRS...ggrrrr

Don't get me wrong, I still got a great refund, it just wasn't what I normally get, several thousand dollars less. We also were moving this year in April, and I was going to split my tax refund in half like I normally do, half for vacation, half for whatever! Well we only really got enough money for moving. We had to push bak our trip to Nov instead so I have time to save up a little extra...

We are also waiting on more money to come through from my wife's fathers estate...if we get that money in time, we are gonna rent DVC points and try and stay at Grand Floridian Villas...they look so nice and with renting points, it's only several hundred dollars more than what we r paying right now for the Nov trip! Booking that same package from Disney is seriously twice the price! I really hope we get I stay there. Stayed twice as a kid and it has always been my favorite resort.

Britt

Original Poster
I've thought about it with a couple of our WDW trips. I have really REALLY bad luck with cars. Days before our 2011 trip, the vehicle we were planning on using to drive to WDW was in an accident and likely wouldn't be repaired in time for the trip. Thankfully, we were able to make the luggage work with DH's car. Then there was the 2013 trip...as many people on here know, we were in a very serious car accident on our way to the airport while trying to go to WDW. I thought about canceling, but we were lucky enough to be able to walk away from it...so, after dealing with the few things I could handle at that time...I rebooked our flight for later that day, called Disney to push back our arrival time...and the rest is history. I mean, it may seem crazy, but there was nothing I'd be able to do to fix the car situation during that time- so we figured we might as well go on the trip. Obviously, had any of us required hospitalization- I would have canceled. Any serious injury/illness, death in the family, or serious financial issue would also force me to cancel. I had to cancel our 2012 Disneyland trip for financial reasons. We had a major fire at our side business (we really have cruddy luck sometimes) and DH just wasn't comfortable with spending that kind of $ on a vacay at that point b/c of it. Thankfully, we hadn't booked much at that point and weren't out any $.
hahaha! I remember your trip report, those beautiful kiddos, and the MESS you had with insurance afterwards!! But I would have done the exact same thing you did!

I am so so sorry to hear about the fire though! That is awful :(

drp4video

We had to cancel a trip on 2006. My mom called and said my dad, who had been ill, was not good and it was just a matter of days so I called and cancelled. We had a room only reservation and we got a 100% refund of our deposit. Airlines of course gave us a voucher to use within a year. Well we used those to rebook to go to AZ for my dad's funeral. Disney was great. They saw that this was our 22nd trip in about 6 years so the CM was confident we would be back. And we did go about 4 months later.

Britt

Original Poster
We had to cancel a trip on 2006. My mom called and said my dad, who had been ill, was not good and it was just a matter of days so I called and cancelled. We had a room only reservation and we got a 100% refund of our deposit. Airlines of course gave us a voucher to use within a year. Well we used those to rebook to go to AZ for my dad's funeral. Disney was great. They saw that this was our 22nd trip in about 6 years so the CM was confident we would be back. And we did go about 4 months later.
OMG :( I am so sorry to hear about your father! So glad Disney was able to make the magic happen for you guys <3

copcarguyp71

I absolutely know how you feel, that's exactly where we were. We priced out a trip to WDW and with airfare...I just couldn't do it :/ I felt awful. It's the first time I ever felt like "Is this really worth the $6000+ it's going to cost us?" and answered "no". We're going to DL instead and it's going to be less than 1/2 of that, doing more stuff.

I am glad i didn't come under fire for being a doom and gloomer. I feel that way a lot lately about the world and have pulled back on some posts because I don't want to be "that guy" all the time. We actually decided to spend about a third less and spend an equal amount of time in Aruba...yes, we can fly to aruba and stay in a boutique (luxury) resort on the beach for around one third less than the price of a trip to WDW staying in a moderate resort. I know it is kind of like comparing apples and tuesday as they are totally different vacations but perhaps that is just what we needed in the end, something totally different.

Last edited:

Kgoulash

We had to cancel a few years ago when dh lost his job, we only had a deposit paid at the time so no money lost, happily we got back on our financial feet and went a couple of years later

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
September 2013's trip because of a car accident with my new car. I rebooked for May this year. I was extremely ill from October through January. I had no energy. I was having a hard time walking distances due to being in bed so long. I was put on some temporary medication and my health is getting better (of course after I cancelled). I really was wondering if I made the right decision but as of lately I think I have. I'm no longer on medication and I can feel my thyroid problems coming back. My daughter has had a cronic ear infection and now has an appt for an ENT and may have to have tubes. She's already missed 7 days of school and they only allow 10 days. So I guess I made the right decision. Lol. It kills me as our would be trip is getting closer. Now I'm hoping for September 2015. Keeping my fingers crossed. I hope it works out for you.

Sorry about the accident. Bright side is you'll likely be able to experience Dwarf.

Can I try and give you one less thing to worry about?

The days your DD has missed school. There is an exemption for illnesses for students. All you have to do is produce either the receipt for medical visits correlating or have the doctor write a medical excuse for the days missed. They cannot mess with the student for an illness. States write ED Policy from FED policy and then school districts write their policy from those. From the district policy a parent/student handbook is usually created and many times what the student sees along with the parents is a real stretch. The ten days is not close to the norm. We had a principal state the same 10 day thing in our handbook and I called her on it when I was pulling my kids to go to Disney World one year. (being a school board member she liked to wave the handbook in my face) Generally the law states 10% of the student attendance days not 10 days. Our state I believe is 180 attendance days per school year. 10% being 18 days.
Even the 18 days can be extended for chronic or major illnesses or injuries, surgeries with doctor verification. I was so ticked she was messing with students and families and had a correction put out for the handbook.
Yep, she was ticked off.

Any questions or more details shoot me a message and I'll try and walk you through the administrative nightmare.

Tom D

We just went to Disneyland this past September. We went to Disney World three of the last four years and this was the first time to Disneyland since I was young. It was great! I definitely missed the whole Disney World experience but knew that it would be different. As for the two parks and the rides it was just like being in Florida except the rides were not as spaced out and there are several different rides at DL that I wish were in DW

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Had to cancel our 1 year anniversary DCL cruise in 2013 because my wife got pregnant. Leaving the baby behind this year for a make-up trip. haha

EOD K9

My wife and I had a DCL cruise set for March which we booked back in August. Turns out the wife is pregnant and will be just over 26 weeks at sail time. Therefore, we moved it til next year.

BrittanyRose428

I cancelled a trip back in 2011. I was supposed to go with my boyfriend and another couple, but the other couple never ended up making any payments and finally backed out about 5 months before the trip. I would have gone with just my boyfriend, but my parents didn't like the idea of us going alone, so we ended up cancelling. I'm still kind of upset that I never ended up going with my boyfriend, but at the time I didn't feel it was worth making them upset.

JeffnPa

close!!! this year we are going in May, but a Oct water damage to our master bath caused a $4000 expense. we were able to use our tax return to pay for the trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom