Haunted mansion

Goofy23

I liked the PM video. The ONE thing I would change is that cool staircase/lightning effect thing as you get into the Doom Buggies, instead of just the wall that's there.

Bairstow

Actually yensid, the few times that imagineers have tried to make the Mansion scarier by ugrading the technology failed. Take Madame Leota for instance: The effect is achieved by projecting 16mm film through a clear mannaquin head, and when the imagineering attempted to "upgrade" the system by switching to a more high-tech method of digital projecting and a composite screen face the result was obviously ineferior to the original traditional film effect. Also, I would warn against assuming that newer animatronics would improve anything either: Anyone who has seen both versions will tell you that the new, "improved" bride figure looks like garbage. It really is a testament to Xavier Atencio and Marc Davis that the ride is as successful and timeless as it is despite being based on parlour tricks that are often centuries-old. I personally wouldn't mind the mansion being a bit scarier as long as it adheres to Davis' and Atencio's original vision. For example, I think the Hat Box Ghost should be brought back, and I have an idea for how to use modern directional stage lighting to make the effect work this time around.

On a side note, I think I speak for everyone when I thank heaven that a Haunted Mansion movie conversion hasn't been performed in the name of almighty "synergy."

MartyMouse

What was truly scary was the Haunted Mansion movie, oh my gosh I didn’t think movies could be that bad (well Wild Wild West was worse - but not by much).

I thought Phantom Manor told a great story that fit with the land the attraction was built in. I was able to derive a constant narrative that is missing in most Disney attractions, and by today’s standers it was no scarier than our Haunted Mansion was back in the 70s.

On to an upgrade of our Haunted Mansion, I wouldn’t have an issue in minor upgrades, but adding entire new modern pieces without updating the entire ride would be like using a computer to add Jabba the Hut into the first Star Wars film, it just wouldn’t … er … what? … they did what? … oh I see, well never mind.

All joking aside it’s a classic like Mr. Toad it doesn’t need to be changed or replaced as long as it works it’s … what?? … are you serious?? … Winnie the Pooh in Fantasyland???

hcwalker16 said:
I definately disagree with making the HM scarier. As it stands, the mansion is a classic attraction. I do agree that there are improvements that need to be made, like a better sound system, better pop-up ghosts, and a better track system. Also, there are some slightly weak scenes, such as the staircase with the spiders. I would not object to see what the Imagineers, along with the proper budget, could do to make the experience even better. Not scarier, funnier if anything. Just as long as they stay with the current formula and don't mess with what already works.

What exactly could be done to the track system to make it better?? I like it the way it is. Wish the attraction was a little longer though. The only thing I would say to add or change is to add fog in the queue by the graveyard, and maybe even something that sprays a stream of water at the line from a hidden spot. The main thing that needs to be fixed is in the stretching rooms I'd say, someone has said this before and I saw it in April, the frames are bent and chipping and also the "painting" is too far from the wall, but I dont think that could be fixed now.
-------EDIT-------
After viewing the Phantom Manor video short, it makes me want to go to France and ride it but I think that going under ground is a little too much for a Disney attraction and it does have a very large ick factor. But I do think the Madame Leota's table should be put into Haunted Mansion, levitating while she is talking is amazing looking, and hearing her speak in french is fun too, much better to see her saying it than the audio from www.doombuggies.com (dont get me wrong the audio from that site was great but better to see then to only hear)

Captain Hank

Sorry I didn't check back sooner. If I remember correctly, the last time I rode HM, the track was getting kinda rough and noisy. Not nearly as bad as SSE, but it still detracted from the experience. I simply meant a replacement of the track itself, not a different ride system. Looking back, I really didn't make that clear.

Laura

Premium Member
I think it's scary enough as it is! I rode it at midnight a few weeks ago and was petrified, while my 3 year old sat next to me unfazed LOL. It seems like the more times I ride it the more scared I get!

GenerationX

HM is a timeless attraction. I saw it in Disneyland as a kid and in WDW (many times) as an adult. It was, is, and forever will be entertaining. Even more amazing to me is that after all of these years and technological advancements, HM still dazzles me.

If they tried to make it scarier, I'm afraid (heh) they'd break some other facet of it.

PeterAlt

symbasys said:
The Haunted Mansion is a classic. The only changes I would like to see are an improved sound system and possibly a rework of the staircase spider scenes. Other than that it shouldn't be touched, especially with all the other changes going on at the Magic Kingdom. The consistently long lines at HM (and Peter Pan and Snow White) are a testament to the fact that not everything has to be "improved" or state-of-the-art to be popular.

With Haunted Mansion Holiday not coming to WDW, I doubt we will see any upgrades for HM soon. But the good news is that we may see the PotC upgrade even sooner... maybe.

PeterAlt

hcwalker16 said:
I definately disagree with making the HM scarier. As it stands, the mansion is a classic attraction. I do agree that there are improvements that need to be made, like a better sound system, better pop-up ghosts, and a better track system. Also, there are some slightly weak scenes, such as the staircase with the spiders. I would not object to see what the Imagineers, along with the proper budget, could do to make the experience even better. Not scarier, funnier if anything. Just as long as they stay with the current formula and don't mess with what already works.

I agree. To me, it's amazing how one of WDW's oldest rides looks so hi-tech and advanced! All the ride needs is a rehab to make sure all the effects are working the way they're supposed to and that the sets and props aren't falling apart and look as good as new. Also, a rehab should modernize any technology that has advanced since 1971.

PeterAlt

HM999thGhost said:
After viewing the Phantom Manor video short, it makes me want to go to France and ride it but I think that going under ground is a little too much for a Disney attraction and it does have a very large ick factor. But I do think the Madame Leota's table should be put into Haunted Mansion, levitating while she is talking is amazing looking, and hearing her speak in french is fun too, much better to see her saying it than the audio from www.doombuggies.com (dont get me wrong the audio from that site was great but better to see then to only hear)

What's the link to the PM video?

raven

I agree that the sound system needs a major overhaul. The audio within the doombuggies is very scratchy and it pops a lot. I realize that the sounds in some of these attractions need to be loud because they need to be heard over the animatronics, but it needs to be adjusted to make the tracks more clear to hear. Right now all you get is a lot of jumbled music and sound effects over one another and it gives you that schizophrenic, voices-in-my-head feeling. :brick:

As much as I hate to see the HM closed when I am at WDW, I think and audio rehab would be 1st on the list if it were in need of ANY rehab.

raven said:
I agree that the sound system needs a major overhaul. The audio within the doombuggies is very scratchy and it pops a lot. I realize that the sounds in some of these attractions need to be loud because they need to be heard over the animatronics, but it needs to be adjusted to make the tracks more clear to hear. Right now all you get is a lot of jumbled music and sound effects over one another and it gives you that schizophrenic, voices-in-my-head feeling. :brick:

As much as I hate to see the HM closed when I am at WDW, I think and audio rehab would be 1st on the list if it were in need of ANY rehab.

I definitely agree. I've been on this ride more than a few times where I have absolutely no sound at all! :cry:

Mandabella

I definitely agree with the need to rehab the sound system.

One thing I always thought would be a neat addition to the HM would be a ride photo. Specifically with one of the hitchhiking ghosts in your doom buggy with you. Then they could really follow you home! :lol:

Of course, I have no idea on how to pull this off or how it would work with groups of 3 in 1 doom buggy.

Dayma

Mandabella said:
One thing I always thought would be a neat addition to the HM would be a ride photo. Specifically with one of the hitchhiking ghosts in your doom buggy with you. Then they could really follow you home! :lol:
QUOTE]

They need this for every ride possible. Would make a lot of money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom