Haunted Mansion / Scary?

Musiker110

It def depends on how sensative your kids are. When I went for Halloween last October, my little cousin would absolutely not go on the ride and she was 8! The first time I went (87) I had just turned 4 and couldn't get enough of it. As far as little kids are concerned, I think PoTC is much scarier than HM.

when i was little it scared me, but i always went on. i knew it was disney and no matter what it was all just in fun. i was never one of those kids who would continue to be upset about things even after the ride was done. if something bothered me on a ride (which actually i dont really remember ever happening), i knew that once i was off, it couldnt bother me anymore. all kids are different.

TestTrack

You're right! They were going for a really scary attraction and completely messed up! What gave it away that they were trying to make it scary is the song! I mean...just listen to it:

When the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake
Spooks come out for a swinging wake
Happy haunts materialize
And begin to vocalize
Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!

Now don't close your eyes and don't try to hide
Or a silly spook may sit by your side
Shrouded in a daft disguise
They pretend to terrorize
Grim grinning ghost come out to socialize!

As the moon climbs high 'ore the dead oak tree
Spooks arise for the midnight spree
Creepy creeps with errie eyes
Start to shriek and harmonize
Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to socialize!

When you hear the knell of a requiem bell
Weird glows gleam where spirits dwell
Restless bones etherize
Rise as spooks of every size

If you would like to join our jamboree,
There's a simple rule that's compulsory.
Mortals pay a token fee.
Rest in peace, the haunting's free.
So hurry back, we would like your company.

See how they mix in a few words just to let you know its not serious? That's what they were going for with the attraction. A simple light hearted take on ghosts.

Expo_Seeker40

My first time on was when I was 9 I think, and even then I was pumped up and exited to see it, especially to see my favorite scene...the ghosts in the ballroom.

I was told as a kid though that the original HM in D-land was deffinately supposed to be a haunted masnion but that WED took a funhouse/circus esque mood and blended it in with the care free mood of the HM to make the attraction we know in both CA and FL. :confused:

I remember the first time we went I was actually quite scared at first while waiting to get on the ride. I was about 11 and almost chickened out, but I decided to ride it in the end I think

It's a nice little ride, though if you think Floridas Haunted Mansion is scary, dont EVER do the paris version. I rode that when I was 16 and it was actually more spooky and scary in parts.

RedBaron

The first time I rode I was 8 years old. I still remember not being scared till the end and the ghost sits in the car with you and they say something like he might follow you home. For some reason that seemed very real to me and thought the ghost was actually going to follow us. Mom and Dad convinced me that we were not going to be followed by a ghost. I also remember wanting to ride it again the next day. :lol: All kids are different. Unless my daughter refuses to ride for some reason I plan on taking her on when we finally visit. You dont know how they will react till you try. HM is not some kind of crazy scary ride. Actually with her personality right now I think she would be more afraid of PotC since she does not like booming sounds and the guns/cannons might frighten her? Hard to say?

MickeyTigg

EvilQueen11 said:
Took our son when he was 5... he's going to need years of therapy to work through the nightmares.

When I took our kids...I knew which rides would bother them. I well concerned parent like yourself couldn't figure this out before the therapy started?

:lookaroun

PeeplMoovr

I read something somewhere - don't recall where - that originally the imagineers debated whether this should be a scary ride or something more lighthearted. The resulting ride was a compromise. The first half of the ride - until you leave the Mansion itself via the attic - was the spookier half, with the graveyard scene and outside the more lighthearted half. Thus, the conflicted imagineers, all of us, got the best of both worlds.
This was printed in either some official Disney release or on some Disney video I watched about the mansion's imagineering.

pilka214

in the earliest stages of the haunted mansion, it was a scary walk through haunted house, but as the original theme changed from mickey mouse world to the magic kingdom so did the attraction. the haunted mansion itself has gone through many different forms.

"One of Walt Disney's ideas for Ken Anderson's original walk-through spook house was to base the experience in New England (as the Haunted Mansion's facade at Walt Disney World is currently themed), and the storyline may have featured Ichabod Crane's fateful encounter with the Headless Horseman, as featured in the Disney film The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad." -doombuggies.com

if you want to read up more on the history of the hm at

http://www.doombuggies.com/history.htm

hope that helps at all

pilka214

oh and just to add my two cents. the haunted mansion really isn't supposed to be scary. is anything at the MK supposed to be scary. yes to small children mabye. but i still love it all the same, it's my favorite ride

Blackie Pueblo

To be honest, I don't find it scary in the slightest. But I fully understand how it COULD BE scary for some people, including children. I mean the ride is pretty dark, and in the attic and the graveyard with the "ghosts" popping up, it could be scary. But I don't feel it is in anyway. I think it's just fun. And I love all the tricks they use! All basic but very effective.

Also I do belive the ride IS split in the middle. When first going through the mansion it is very spooky, but then in the graveyard its all fun. I mean, ghosts drinking tea and playing on a seesaw? What about the singing ghosts? Goofy in a a very fun way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.newlineagefilms.com

DixieBelle97

I always loved the Haunted Mansion. It made me nervous when I was about 10 years old, but now I just think it's a cute ride. Plus...now that I'm a college girl, I find it amusing to tease and flirt with some of the hot guys that work there (if there are any). ::grin::

figgyfan

We had the most awesome cm last week. He was standing across the stretching portraits elevator when the lights went out..and when they came back on he was staring at us,just inches from our faces. Thanks Brian...you made our 4th of July more magical:)

Haunted mansion has been my favorite ride since I was 3, but then I've always marched to the beat of a different drummer, as my mom always points out. I even got one of the silly ghost dogs on a leash at some point. The only ride I was scared of when I was little were the skyway buckets. I was absolutely sure the line was going to snap at any second. :dazzle:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom