Haunted Mansion Refurb to be dissapointing

MuRkErY

Original Poster
Screamscape, yes I know, I know, but it's a rumor. :p

Screamscape.com:
Lance Hart writes:

"Unfortunately for the Haunted Mansion, it looks like the cost cutters may have won out again while John Lasseter is busy focusing on Disneyland’s new attractions.
Local spies tell us that while the Haunted Mansion will be closed for virtually the entire summer season, most of the upgrades and rehabs approved in the budget will make this a mostly “technical” upgrade to the attractions audio and lighting systems due to the poor state of the existing systems. Most of the scenic and themed improvements have been cut from the budget including some kind of huge new addition planned for the graveyard. The plans to rebuild a completely new entrance queue and exit area has also been canned in favor of a more budget conscious expansion to just the exit. The good news is that I’m told the ballroom scene will look great when the ride reopens because the plan to refurbish and replace much of the scene did manage to survive the budget cuts. Now if only someone could get Lasseter out of the Sub Lagoon in California long enough to take a look at what’s really going on in Florida, maybe there is still time to add a few more enhancement dollars to the Mansion. "

I hope this will turn out to be untrue :(

Uncle Billy

This makes me sad. I just got back from Disneyland Paris and I've also been to Disneyland. This after a lifetime of only Walt Disney World. I just couldn't get over how much TLC goes into those other parks. I hadn't realized this at all before.

Pete C

Hmm, that doesn't bode well for Space Mountain then, either. Maybe they will just install a really big speaker at the top of the dome and have it play the new audio track really loudly for all the rockets to hear. :lol: Poor Magic Kingdom...it does too well for its own good.

jmvd20

What I think is dissapointing is the fact that WDW hasn't even started the HM refurb yet people are already complaining about the end product.

Management has been criticized for not doing it, then criticized for what months they are going to do it in, then criticized for how they are going to do it. Now they are being criticized for a half hearted and dissapointing refurb prior to it even getting underway - absolutely incredible.

PurpleDragon

What I think is dissapointing is the fact that WDW hasn't even started the HM refurb yet people are already complaining about the end product.

Management has been criticized for not doing it, then criticized for what months they are going to do it in, then criticized for how they are going to do it. Now they are being criticized for a half hearted and dissapointing refurb prior to it even getting underway - absolutely incredible.

Well to close an attraction for the entire summer to only make a few subtle changes and overlook the rest of the desperate changes needed in this attraction is rather foolish. I think people are getting their hopes up that this refurb will turn the WDW HM into the gem that the DL HM is, but I don't think that is going to happen.

However I will not pass judgement on the changes made till I see them myself. I'm sure we will hear dozens more rumors and gossip about the attraction between now and the reopening in Sept. :D

imagineer boy

I know its screamscape, but sweet baby jesus I hope this isn't true. They'll decide to can the Leota and new bride just for a crappy gift shop at the exit?!

Here's to hoping that screamscape is as inaccurate as usual...

jmvd20

jmvd - some people know a lot more than what`s publically announced ;)

Very true, and I am not disputing the rumors. Just questioning how some people can say that the refurb is going to be awful prior to it even starting. Let's wait and see what happens before we jump on WDW management for messing this thing up.

I have no inside sources at WDW so I generally do not argue about rumors being fact or fiction, I leave that up to the ones here that are in the know. Well actually I do know a maintenance man who works at the same mall as a Disney Store - is that a good source?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Very true, and I am not disputing the rumors. Just questioning how some people can say that the refurb is going to be awful prior to it even starting. Let's wait and see what happens before we jump on WDW management for messing this thing up.
You mean people jumping on the bandwagon? I get your point. I really hope the current news is wrong, I really do. And I`m not reffering to Screamscape.
Well actually I do know a maintenance man who works at the same mall as a Disney Store - is that a good source?
Quite good - next to a bus driver of course.

(disclaimer: I realise not all bus drivers know that Beastly Kingdom is to be built to accommodate the extra guests the monorail will bring. I don`t want to imply all bus drivers have such a - unique - knowledge of future projects)

chipanddalefan5

I made a previous thread in early mid January and put in what i had found out about the haunted mansion ref.. I too used screamscape, and before this thread showed it's recent article, screamscape showed an article on how all these new changes were coming in and that they were so certain that all of this was already passed and prepared for; like the crystal ball head was going to be changed to fit the look of the one in the movie, the popping ghouls behind the tomstones were going to be removed and replaced, ballrooom was to be changed,new entrance and exit, and they were going to put more story into the ride........:veryconfupersonally I think that screamscape has no definate information, so let's not get our hopes up.:)

Vernonpush

Personally, I think that they might just go in there and fix the things that need immediate attention (sound, doombuggies) and while they have it closed, see what they can do for future enhancements next time. Take the time while it's closed and see what the need to do with the infrastructure to add other effects. And next fiscal year, add the "plusses" (during Jan.-Mar., when the majority on these boards said it should have been closed for refurb.) .

typhoonguy

(disclaimer: I realise not all bus drivers know that Beastly Kingdom is to be built to accommodate the extra guests the monorail will bring. I don`t want to imply all bus drivers have such a - unique - knowledge of future projects)
That's the most awesome think I've read in a long time... you should add that in your signature... :D:ROFLOL:

csm

Screamscape, yes I know, I know, but it's a rumor. :p
I hope this will turn out to be untrue :(

The problem is, more than a posting about news, it is yet another "Lance Hart Opinion Essay." It reads a whole lot more like his personal speculation to me. While Lance Hart is very good at stealing news tid-bits from other websites and assembling them into one list, he has no true understanding of this industry or vision for things to come. Tell you the truth, the second I get to the words "I think" in any of his updates, I stop reading it and skip to the next one.

Good source for actual news when it happens? Absolutely. Opinion worth hearing? Absolutely not. And don't even get me started on this new blog thing he does - and *lists* it as news updates *not* blog entries!

WDWFigment

What I wonder about WDW's Haunted Mansion is if it has some curse of spelling and grammar. The Screamscape article was an unintelligible mess (in perusing their past articles, I don't know how someone can have a well-trafficked website and be such a poor writer), and both the topic titles here concerning the refurbishment contain misspellings!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom