Haunted Mansion question

Dragonrider1227

Original Poster
I know in Disneyland, the gallery is an elevator and in Disneyworld, it isn't. This leads me to a question. I've heard that in Disney World, you arn't really in the Mansion. So if the Gallery isn't an elevator, and the ride doesn't take place in the Mansion, then just where the frack are you in those Doom Buggies? :veryconfu

Pongo

If you look at google earth/maps, HM is a tiny tiny facade with a HUGE warehouse looking thing behind it.

Pretty funny looking actually.

SteveUK

I'm sure one of our resident experts will be along shortly to explain much better than me, but in fact many of the rides in MK dont actually take place where you expect them to. Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain and Pirates all load you onto the ride in a nice themed building, but then once you are on the ride, it actually goes through a dull warehouse building that can't be seen from the park (but I'm sure somebody will point it out on an aerial shot for you), and then you come back out through the nice themed area. Therefore HM is not the huge house type building it appears to be, but is just a facade for theming that leads to a much duller ride area.

I know this is a bit disappointing - sorry.

Dragonrider1227

Original Poster
That doesn't kill the magic for me. It's kinda fun to know this sort of stuff. I do recall seeing a helicopter view of Fantasyland and Main St and seeing that Main St is like, two big warehouses with a 1901 theme shell :lol: Fantasyland was kinda the same but doesn't ruin it for me.

DisneySam

Dragon, as for the Haunted Mansion the Imagineers left the stretching room in the design and final outcome because it had become an essential part of the Haunted Mansion. The only difference is that the in the WDW version the ceiling actually ruses, instead of at DL where the floor lowers.

Here is a picture from The Haunted Mansion From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies, By: Jason Surrell of the ride building as it was being built. This photo shows the whole ride building [don't look if you don't want to see "behind the curtain" :animwink: ]

rainfully

DisneySam said:
Dragon, as for the Haunted Mansion the Imagineers left the stretching room in the design and final outcome because it had become an essential part of the Haunted Mansion. The only difference is that the in the WDW version the ceiling actually ruses, instead of at DL where the floor lowers.

Here is a picture from The Haunted Mansion From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies, By: Jason Surrell of the ride building as it was being built. This photo shows the whole ride building [don't look if you don't want to see "behind the curtain" :animwink: ]

Also, the building right next too it is the It's a Small World show building! And you can see the skyway station being built as well. :)

mitchk

Here is a picture from The Haunted Mansion From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies, By: Jason Surrell of the ride building as it was being built. This photo shows the whole ride building [don't look if you don't want to see "behind the curtain" :animwink: ][/quote]

I have that book!! I bought it last Oct at the All-star Sports gift shop. That's a really interesting book, a lot of behind the scenes info:lookaroun

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Great picture DisneySam. Thanks, I've made myself a note to get that book.

Thanks for the link Connor :wave:

ICP06

I just discovered that windows live local (or whatever it's called) has some much higher resolution pictures of the WDW area than google maps has. The up close zooming works much better. You can make out some of the stuff by the entrance to the utilidors (near the 20k subs lagoon) much clearer!

Also, interestingly enough, at the tip of world showcase at epcot where the image turns blurry, windows live local stays in very good focus-only that it turns to a slightly harder to interpret black and white!

Anyhoo, the little building right in the middle of this is the haunted mansion facade-and the warehouse lookin' building behind it is the show building.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=28.420467~-81.583051&style=h&lvl=19&scene=3138041

ICP06

P.S. I am not affiliated with Microsoft in any way :p

bluefaery

SteveUK said:
Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain and Pirates all load you onto the ride in a nice themed building, but then once you are on the ride, it actually goes through a dull warehouse building that can't be seen from the park (but I'm sure somebody will point it out on an aerial shot for you), and then you come back out through the nice themed area.

I thought in SM you were actually in the moutain? At least that is what a CM (my fiance's old Army boss) told him. However we could be wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom