Haunted Mansion closing for refurbishment in December and Yankee Trader refurb extended

JohnD

I really hope not.

EDIT: And Haunted Mansion Holiday is beyond crass and overdone. California can keep it. Rare that I say that.

DL's Haunted Mansion is not the version found in WDW, and I am beyond thankful about that. It's much too short, in terrible condition, and losing it to HMH for 4 months out of the year is not a nice thing. I really wouldn't want to see all that clutter in WDW's far superior Mansion.

The explanation given to me on my Keys to the Kingdom tour in October is that DL is very much frequented by APs. So things are changed up more there to keep their interest. Hence the Nightmare overlay. WDW, OTOH, is visited a lot more by international travelers, so HM isn't changed out here because it's a first time experience very much more often than in DL.

Sage of Time

The explanation given to me on my Keys to the Kingdom tour in October is that DL is very much frequented by APs. So things are changed up more there to keep their interest. Hence the Nightmare overlay. WDW, OTOH, is visited a lot more by international travelers, so HM isn't changed out here because it's a first time experience very much more often than in DL.
Right. I am very thankful for this fact. Can't stand HMH and what it does to a classic, year after year.

One of the rare instances where WDW quality and ops wins over DL. DL's Mansion- the original- is sadly a big joke.

Mike S

image.jpg

Personally I would welcome the overlay at Magic Kingdom with open arms. It seems like a fun way to celebrate the holidays at the Haunted Mansion and I really like what I've seen in videos of it.

JohnD

View attachment 76277
Personally I would welcome the overlay at Magic Kingdom with open arms. It seems like a fun way to celebrate the holidays at the Haunted Mansion and I really like what I've seen in videos of it.

I dunno. It's one thing to overlay Jungle Cruise with Jingle Cruise. Just scatter Christmas presents around the attraction and switch out the jokes. It's effectively the same ride. Doing the Nightmare overlay of HM changes the attraction entirely. I like it the way it is. I wouldn't mind so much, though, some Christmas decorations and goulish holiday jokes added. It would be the same ride but with a Christmas theme. You would also have to lose Paul Free's voice for someone else doing the ghost host with the new narration. Personally, I don't like the one used during MNSSHP. It doesn't sound very much like him.

Mike S

I dunno. It's one thing to overlay Jungle Cruise with Jingle Cruise. Just scatter Christmas presents around the attraction and switch out the jokes. It's effectively the same ride. Doing the Nightmare overlay of HM changes the attraction entirely. I like it the way it is. I wouldn't mind so much, though, some Christmas decorations and goulish holiday jokes added. It would be the same ride but with a Christmas theme. You would also have to lose Paul Free's voice for someone else doing the ghost host with the new narration. Personally, I don't like the one used during MNSSHP. It doesn't sound very much like him.
I'm aware of what all the changes are when they do it and I'm still in favor of it coming to WDW if they ever decided to finally do it.

JohnD

I'm aware of what all the changes are when they do it and I'm still in favor of it coming to WDW if they ever decided to finally do it.

Then we have to differ. Watched the video (admittedly not the best quality). I prefer the classic attraction as envisoned by Walt and carried out by the Imagineers after he passed away.

Mike S

Then we have to differ. Watched the video (admittedly not the best quality). I prefer the classic attraction as envisoned by Walt and carried out by the Imagineers after he passed away.
It would only be 4 months. It's not like it's a permanent replacement, just a fun holiday overlay.

Kman101

Tokyo got the overlay that was designed for WDW. I personally would want the overlay, but it also gives me major incentive to visit either Tokyo or Anaheim around Halloween/Christmas to enjoy it there. I can sort of buy the explanation about the tourism difference, I do get that, and it does make sense. But at the same time I can't help but call BS and they simply just didn't want to spend the money on it. But again, I CAN buy the explanation due to the tourism difference. I think it's probably true on both accounts and in this case I can't totally blame them for not wanting to switch it out. However, they COULD bring back Country Bears Christmas ... why on earth don't they? ($$$). They just don't find it necessary, and while I really enjoyed Jingle Cruise ... I doubt many people would cry foul if the Country Bears sang some Christmas songs but I could see a LOT of complaining about Haunted Mansion (sadly).

Mike S

Tokyo got the overlay that was designed for WDW. I personally would want the overlay, but it also gives me major incentive to visit either Tokyo or Anaheim around Halloween/Christmas to enjoy it there. I can sort of buy the explanation about the tourism difference, I do get that, and it does make sense. But at the same time I can't help but call BS and they simply just didn't want to spend the money on it. But again, I CAN buy the explanation due to the tourism difference. I think it's probably true on both accounts and in this case I can't totally blame them for not wanting to switch it out. However, they COULD bring back Country Bears Christmas ... why on earth don't they? ($$$). They just don't find it necessary, and while I really enjoyed Jingle Cruise ... I doubt many people would cry foul if the Country Bears sang some Christmas songs but I could see a LOT of complaining about Haunted Mansion (sadly).
Personally I think tourists would still enjoy the Haunted Mansion Holiday. It's very well done and I think they wouldn't really care as much as people think they would.

Kman101

Personally I think tourists would still enjoy the Haunted Mansion Holiday. It's very well done and I think they wouldn't really care as much as people think they would.

I agree with you, I do, but there's still a part of me who can agree with them not doing the overlay, as much as I hate saying that. You know how casuals can overreact to the dumbest thing while on vacation. I feel so sorry for guest services cast members. I really do.

Mike S

I agree with you, I do, but there's still a part of me who can agree with them not doing the overlay, as much as I hate saying that. You know how casuals can overreact to the dumbest thing while on vacation. I feel so sorry for guest services cast members. I really do.
You never know what would set someone off. Even worse than HMH, can you imagine the complaints if they brought over Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy? "My precious little snowflake got scared!!!!!!" :rolleyes:

Kman101

You never know what would set someone off. Even worse than HMH, can you imagine the complaints if they brought over Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy? "My precious little snowflake got scared!!!!!!" :rolleyes:

Ugh, I know. I've wanted Ghost Galaxy too. It's funny how MK has hard ticket Halloween and Christmas parties yet can't bother with any real overlays. I'll give them Jingle Cruise, that's a nice little surprise.

Mike S

Ugh, I know. I've wanted Ghost Galaxy too. It's funny how MK has hard ticket Halloween and Christmas parties yet can't bother with any real overlays. I'll give them Jingle Cruise, that's a nice little surprise.
Especially this year. I loved the Jingle Cruise. The skipper I got was great.

Kman101

Especially this year. I loved the Jingle Cruise. The skipper I got was great.

Same. I had a fantastic skipper. It was really fun and I saw more decorations than I had originally thought were there. While Disneyland's look like someone threw up decorations I think the MK's version is a bit more tasteful. Although I do wish they'd have done something with the elephants.

Mike S

Same. I had a fantastic skipper. It was really fun and I saw more decorations than I had originally thought were there. While Disneyland's look like someone threw up decorations I think the MK's version is a bit more tasteful. Although I do wish they'd have done something with the elephants.
I just watched a video of Disneyland's version and I have to agree. It looked a bit overdone. I did like the Hanukkah joke they have over there though. Piranukkah, the festival of bites. Lol.

doctornick

It would be interesting if they could do some sort of overlay that's only active for the holiday parties. Don't know if that's possible, but it would add value to the hard ticket events if there were "unique" rides available just for them.

Californian Elitist

I really hope not.

EDIT: And Haunted Mansion Holiday is beyond crass and overdone. California can keep it. Rare that I say that.

DL's Haunted Mansion is not the version found in WDW, and I am beyond thankful about that. It's much too short, in terrible condition, and losing it to HMH for 4 months out of the year is not a nice thing. I really wouldn't want to see all that clutter in WDW's far superior Mansion.

You're entitled to your opinion, buy to refer to Haunted Mansion Holiday as "clutter" is absurd.

Vegas Disney Fan

I love the Haunted Mansion Holiday, it keeps the ride fresh for those of us that go frequently, it does cause the ride to close for a few weeks in September and January though, I think this is one of those things you can get away with when so many of you guests are AP holders that would be more of a problem at WDW.

I have an AP and live 4 hours away and make a trip in October just to see Ghost Galaxy and the Halloween decorations. I also make at least one trip during Nov or Dec for the Haunted Mansion Holiday, IASW Christmas overlay, and Christmas decorations.

As someone that goes to DL every month or 2 I love all the holiday decorations and overlays because it makes rides I've been on dozens of times feel like new rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom