Haunted Mansion Changing Portrait Update

WEDWAY100

Would you rather have the entire attraction closed so that nobody can ride it as opposed to a single show element working slightly different then intended while they work on upgrading it?

I’m all for closing attractions to conduct refurbishment when necessary. But sometimes you have to find ways to minimize downtime’s while still providing upgrades and maintenance.
Yes, I would rather have the entire ride closed when they are upgrading effects, etc...especially if those effects need fine tuning before being show ready. If this is in the attic as well as the portraits then it’s bad show. And that used to matter. This minor update could have waited until the next refurb closure.

Of course it requires thoughtful scheduling so that several major attractions aren’t closed at the same time.

peter11435

Yes, I would rather have the entire ride closed when they are upgrading effects, etc...especially if those effects need fine tuning before being show ready. If this is in the attic as well as the portraits then it’s bad show. And that used to matter. This minor update could have waited until the next refurb closure.

Of course it requires thoughtful scheduling so that several major attractions aren’t closed at the same time.

There’s no reason to unnecessarily close an attraction and prevent tens of thousands of guests from experiencing it, possibly ever. Again refurbs are important and need to be done far more frequently than WDW currently schedules. But if maintenance and upgrades can be accomplished with minimal (let’s face it this is near zero) negative impact while keeping the attraction open, that should always be preferred.

Magenta Panther

There’s no reason to unnecessarily close an attraction and prevent tens of thousands of guests from experiencing it, possibly ever. Again refurbs are important and need to be done far more frequently than WDW currently schedules. But if maintenance and upgrades can be accomplished with minimal (let’s face it this is near zero) negative impact while keeping the attraction open, that should always be preferred.

Do you know if this "upgrade" is still being fine-tuned? Hopefully?

Magenta Panther

It looked good in person when we rode it yesterday. Videos almost never do an attraction justice, especially one like Haunted Mansion where most of the effects are achieved through lighting changes..

Well, that's a relief. Do the portraits actually CHANGE, though, like they're supposed to? Or do they just light up?

Sorry I'm freaking out about this, but after Disney replaced auctioned brides with chickens, I don't know that I trust it anymore...;)

Jones14

Well, that's a relief. Do the portraits actually CHANGE, though, like they're supposed to? Or do they just light up?

Sorry I'm freaking out about this, but after Disney replaced auctioned brides with chickens, I don't know that I trust it anymore...;)
Yes, they change! I thought they looked a little brighter overall than usual, but we usually ride during the day (this was around 6:30) and we got stuck in the load area for like five minutes, so I think it was just that my eyes had adjusted by the time we got to them.

justintheharris

If it is not as good as what was there before, yes. It's not that most hate change, most I think will welcome it. But when Disney changes things that didn't need to change, and it's a step backwards, people won't like it. I will have to see if there are any other vids out there, but from this one, it looks bad and just isn't convincing. Maybe it's better in person or they are still adjusting. Either way, from this look it is a step back.
I'm sorry but if ONE effect on the Haunted Mansion is enough to get you angry, I feel like you're just looking for reasons to complain. It's a little bit brighter and easier to see than before. That's really it.

justintheharris

Well, aren't you precious and easily pleased. But the rest of us prefer effects that WORK, thank you. The portraits aren't supposed to look "nice", they're supposed to look frightening. They're changing portraits, not blacklight posters. :banghead:
Well, I've been on the ride multiple times since the new effect started. Before that, I could barely notice the effect. The portraits DO change and the change is a lot more noticeable now and easier to see. So actually, BEFORE the update, the effect barely worked. With this update, it now works quite well :)

erasure fan1

I'm sorry but if ONE effect on the Haunted Mansion is enough to get you angry, I feel like you're just looking for reasons to complain. It's a little bit brighter and easier to see than before. That's really it.
The effect looks terrible in my opinion, a lot worse than before. I'm not angry about it but I'll call it as I see it. Like I said in my post, maybe it's better in person or they're still adjusting. But as of now it looks out of place from the video.

peter11435

The effect looks terrible in my opinion, a lot worse than before. I'm not angry about it but I'll call it as I see it. Like I said in my post, maybe it's better in person or they're still adjusting. But as of now it looks out of place from the video.
Your opinion is based on a video of a lighting effect that is still in the process of being fully implemented.

You can’t really call it like you see it when you haven’t even seen it.

The Empress Lilly

Was there in December and the old effects are totally gone. The pictures were not different under lightning. We were very disappointed.
I too rode in early December and also thought the lighting effect off, mostly too dim. I'm actually happy they are addressing it. :)

And I wouldn't want the ride closed over fixing this, no more than it should've been closed last month.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Would you rather have the entire attraction closed so that nobody can ride it as opposed to a single show element working slightly different then intended while they work on upgrading it?
What Would Walt Want?
Yeah, I see that on these boards. Every time a ride goes down for refurb somebody says "Oh no, we're going to be there in September, how could they???!"

Ya can't always have all the candy in the store, kids...
Um... but we're PAYING for all the candy in the store...

DisneyCane

I too rode in early December and also thought the lighting effect off, mostly too dim. I'm actually happy they are addressing it. :)

And I wouldn't want the ride closed over fixing this, no more than it should've been closed last month.
When I was there in early December I didn't notice the effect working at all. Maybe it was just extremely dim but it looked turned off to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom