Haunted Mansion Changing Portrait Update

yensidtlaw1969

Rode it today. The paintings are incredibly bright now compared to before. Like, the paintings are one of if not the brightest things on the ride.
I've read else-places online that the lighting was upgraded recently to this effect (and to the Attic) and that WDI has not yet set the levels properly.

Having just returned from WDW, I'd agree that they're very, very bright at the moment (as is the Attic, which seemed to corroborate the thought that lights had been changed). The external lighting for the portraits seems out of sync in this scene at the moment, which is even visible in this video - the room is meant to brighten a little when the "before" is meant to be seen and dim a bit when the "after" starts flashing. Right now it's doing the opposite.

It seems like some fine-tuning should be all it needs to be stunning as ever - the effect does still appear to be accomplished the same way, it's just suddenly very bright. The paintings do also seem to have been redressed slightly, with some new black veils draped over the frames and the once-visible hangings now removed. The portraits are certainly not screens any more than they were prior to this freshening.

yensidtlaw1969

Any before and after photos/videos so I can get a good idea of what is different?

Before:

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 8.21.11 PM.png

After:

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 8.22.48 PM.png

Magenta Panther

Do the portraits still...change? God, I hope so. I can't tell from that video at all. I mean, it looks like the lightning is lighting up the whole picture, and not just the changes (the snakes on Medusa, etc. ). My god, surely TDO didn't destroy the effect altogether as its idea of an "update" or "improvement"?

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Do the portraits still...change? God, I hope so. I can't tell from that video at all. I mean, it looks like the lightning is lighting up the whole picture, and not just the changes (the snakes on Medusa, etc. ). My god, surely TDO didn't destroy the effect altogether as its idea of an "update" or "improvement"?
They do still change, but it's a little hard to perceive at the moment if you don't know what you're looking for.

It could still use some tuning.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They aren’t screens. The effect is achieved the same way it was before but now uses LED backlighting instead of the older fixtures.

Ok so it’s the iris of the camera making it worse... so like I said... I hope it’s better in person.. because the light seems to bleed through the whole thing verse just lighting the “ghost” portions. It’s bleeding through everything to excess

I know the iris makes it worse... but seems like they have a long way to go

yensidtlaw1969

For the life of me, how can you not set lighting levels at the same time you plug in the fixtures and focus them....
Assuming this is what happened, and that I didn't simply make a mistake, benefit of the doubt says that they only have so many hours during the 3rd shift to work with such things before they have to clean up and turn the ride back over for guest operation.

Is it possible that the lighting update was done by Maintenance with WDI tasked to come in later and set a level? That could also explain why things aren't 100% despite having just been installed.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Hope it's a work in progress. Looks like a light table. TBF, I like the idea although I'm not sure why they opted to change the show mechanics. Why fix what isn't broken? Based on the video it looks like the light levels are just off all around... Back lighting and ambient. Maybe they can incorporate a practical light source to better illuminate the paintings when in "non-ghost" mode.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom