Haunted mansion addition?

Californian Elitist

I don't believe comparing quality of a product to time it takes to install or set up is appropriate by the way.

Okay, for some reason, you're not understanding what I'm saying. I am not talking about quality. Again, I. AM. NOT. TALKING. ABOUT. QUALITY. I am specifically referring to all the things that are put into the Haunted Mansion when it's time for its overlay. It's not like they just put a few wreaths here and there with some pumpkins on the side. There are lots of things that go into the attraction, including animatronics, special effects, all sorts of different decorations, plenty of details, a gingerbread house, etc. By that sense, Haunted Mansion Holiday is not "cheap." Let me state this again, when I say "cheap", I don't mean monetary worth, quality or whatever you're thinking about. I'm referring to all that goes into the attraction. Am I making myself clearer? I hope I am.

wdwfan22

as someone who has seen Haunted Mansion Holiday I say this ... please keep it at Disneyland. I hated it and i'm sorry it looks cheap in my opinion and tacky.

Thrill

My opinion is that a Skellington overlay would be a distracting and nonsensical thing to add to a Victorian-era gothic mansion.

And yes, I'm one of those old fuddy-duddies who hates -- HATES -- the equally distracting and nonsensical addition of Jack Sparrow and his storyline to the POTC.

I'm with you here.

I'm all for holiday overlays, but only where they make sense. Country Bear Jamboree, it's a small world, those are attractions where I can easily understand the point of an overlay. With the Haunted Mansion, it's combining one of the best rides ever constructed with a decent movie that has not a single connection to the ride other than having ghosts. A holiday overlay that isn't based on an existing franchise might be acceptable, but I'm kind of a purist when it comes to Haunted Mansion (and Pirates, too).

Yes, it's nice to mix things up, but only if the change is good change. I could throw My Little Pony in the Haunted Mansion for two months to make a different ride, but everyone would throw a fit.

FettFan

I still wish WDW's Mansion would get a Non-Nightmare Before Christmas holiday overlay.

A holiday overlay that isn't based on an existing franchise might be acceptable, but I'm kind of a purist when it comes to Haunted Mansion (and Pirates, too).

The Studios has "Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights"....how about a "Gracey Family Spectacle of Frights"?

Perhaps have the poor fellow standing atop the lit dynamite barrel now dressed as Santa Claus.
secrets_stretch_davis.jpg

The three saps sinking into quicksand could be replaced by Frosty the Snowman, panicking as he melts into a puddle.

26.+Waiting+for+Daffodils.gif

Last edited:

AswaySuller

Okay, for some reason, you're not understanding what I'm saying. I am not talking about quality. Again, I. AM. NOT. TALKING. ABOUT. QUALITY. I am specifically referring to all the things that are put into the Haunted Mansion when it's time for its overlay. It's not like they just put a few wreaths here and there with some pumpkins on the side. There are lots of things that go into the attraction, including animatronics, special effects, all sorts of different decorations, plenty of details, a gingerbread house, etc. By that sense, Haunted Mansion Holiday is not "cheap." Let me state this again, when I say "cheap", I don't mean monetary worth, quality or whatever you're thinking about. I'm referring to all that goes into the attraction. Am I making myself clearer? I hope I am.

Oh I see. Sorry, I didn't realise you were using the word "cheap" to describe volume .

mguimond1990

Original Poster
I should probably clarify something, I'm a bit new to this disney obsession thing so forgive me haha. I only saw photos and brief photos of the haunted mansion gate and waiting area that was jack skellington themed. I wasn't aware that they actually changed the entire ride. Knowing that, then no I would not want that at WDW. But I do still think there needs to be more nightmare before Xmas theming, maybe at the Halloween parties. But that's a different discussion.

fosse76

My opinion is that a Skellington overlay would be a distracting and nonsensical thing to add to a Victorian-era gothic mansion.
Because ghosts and graveyards are ever-present in them as it is. :rolleyes:
I don't like it becuase it's just pretty bland. It could work, but I think it could be integrated better than it actually is.(at DLR, of course)

And yes, I'm one of those old fuddy-duddies who hates -- HATES -- the equally distracting and nonsensical addition of Jack Sparrow and his storyline to the POTC.
I had not experienced the original POC before the overlay, but I don't think it distracts...and it certainly isn't nonsensical. If you put Jack Skellington in POC THEN it would be nonsensical.

FettFan

I had not experienced the original POC before the overlay, but I don't think it distracts...and it certainly isn't nonsensical. If you put Jack Skellington in POC THEN it would be nonsensical.

You missed out...mostly the last scene of the pirates gaining entry into the treasury, tying up the Spanish army guards, then drunkenly shooting at each other in celebration.

This was where Jack Sparrow sits on a throne in today's incarnation, but was also visually much more interesting since there was a lot more going on...especially when if you were ever stuck waiting to unload for a while and could see the whole sequence.

Bairstow

You missed out...mostly the last scene of the pirates gaining entry into the treasury, tying up the Spanish army guards, then drunkenly shooting at each other in celebration.

This was where Jack Sparrow sits on a throne in today's incarnation, but was also visually much more interesting since there was a lot more going on...especially when if you were ever stuck waiting to unload for a while and could see the whole sequence.

What made the old WDW finale nice is how close the pirates were to you, and on both sides. However, it was a bit lacking in that it never felt like a finale. The scenery just stopped and you got off the ride.
The Disneyland version was actually much better, since it subtly reinforced the unspoken "time travel" motif by ending with both living and long-dead pirates seemingly struggling to carry away the same load of treasure.

Now Jack is set far back in his little alcove, far away from the guests.

Weather_Lady

Because villagers in places pillaged by pirates are always happy to conspire to hide one of those pirates and permit him to escape... :rolleyes:

If you'd known what it looked like before, I think you'd share my opinion that the additions are distracting -- at least they are for those who enjoyed the original, iconic scenes that told a cohesive story without the faces of any familiar Hollywood actors cropping up. If all you've ever known of POTC is Johnny Depp, then of course the additions won't affect you.

Bairstow

What made the old WDW finale nice is how close the pirates were to you, and on both sides. However, it was a bit lacking in that it never felt like a finale. The scenery just stopped and you got off the ride.
The Disneyland version was actually much better, since it subtly reinforced the unspoken "time travel" motif by ending with both living and long-dead pirates seemingly struggling to carry away the same load of treasure.

Now Jack is set far back in his little alcove, far away from the guests.

Need to correct myself a little: that previously final Disneyland scene with the two pirates trying to haul away the treasure wasn't added until the mid '90s.

Southampton11968

I saw it a couple of years ago and LOVED IT! It was like riding it for the first time again and except for brand new attractions how many rides can you say that about. I found nothing cheap about it and it brought on a huge smile the whole ride from the incredible look to the outside to the mirrored ghost at the end, once again BRAVO DISNEY!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom