Has "ubering around" gotten too expensive?

I'm staying off site and was tentatively planning to rely pretty heavily on Uber/Lyft. I was planning a daily round trip budget of about $30 to get me from the Disney Springs area to the various parks and back. I figure that ends up being a lot cheaper than getting a rental car, paying gas, and then paying Disney parking, and that's assuming I get a hotel with free parking.

Anyway... I've heard rumors that Uber has gotten way more expensive and hard to get in the Disney area since Covid.

What experience have you all had with it recently? Has it improved lately? I won't be going until fall, so I'm hoping everything smooths out soon anyway, but any guidance would be appreciated!

Figgy1

Premium Member
I'm staying off site and was tentatively planning to rely pretty heavily on Uber/Lyft. I was planning a daily round trip budget of about $30 to get me from the Disney Springs area to the various parks and back. I figure that ends up being a lot cheaper than getting a rental car, paying gas, and then paying Disney parking, and that's assuming I get a hotel with free parking.

Anyway... I've heard rumors that Uber has gotten way more expensive and hard to get in the Disney area since Covid.

What experience have you all had with it recently? Has it improved lately? I won't be going until fall, so I'm hoping everything smooths out soon anyway, but any guidance would be appreciated!
Just about everything will be different by fall. Car rentals are still through the roof and that may change but I wouldn't count on it. Plan on a bit more than 30 and the upside is you'll be able to have an adult beverage or 2;) As of today Uber/Lyft to the park and see if your hotel has a shuttle back to your resort at the end of the day is the way I'd go

Upvote 0

Mrs.JJP

I was just in WDW the last week of April, also staying off site, and I definitely noticed rideshares were more expensive than the last time I was there 2 years ago. I just went through my bank account (yikes lol) and I spent $179.24 on 14 trips over 7 days (Uber and Lyft), not counting our rides to and from the airport, which were $34.24 and $39.97 respectively. I typically tipped $2 for each ride so that's included in that price as well. Renting a car would have cost us several times that (I checked) so while it's more spendy than it used to be, it's still cheaper than the alternative! Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

tentaguasu

Original Poster
I was just in WDW the last week of April, also staying off site, and I definitely noticed rideshares were more expensive than the last time I was there 2 years ago. I just went through my bank account (yikes lol) and I spent $179.24 on 14 trips over 7 days (Uber and Lyft), not counting our rides to and from the airport, which were $34.24 and $39.97 respectively. I typically tipped $2 for each ride so that's included in that price as well. Renting a car would have cost us several times that (I checked) so while it's more spendy than it used to be, it's still cheaper than the alternative! Hope that helps!

Thanks, that's incredibly helpful! That works out to less than $15 per trip, which doesn't sound too bad at all. Were those mostly hotel to park trips? How far were your from the parks?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Mrs.JJP

Thanks, that's incredibly helpful! That works out to less than $15 per trip, which doesn't sound too bad at all. Were those mostly hotel to park trips? How far were your from the parks?

Thanks again!
Yes, mostly from hotel to parks/Disney Springs (and back). We were about 7.5 miles from the TTC, 6 miles from Epcot, about 5 miles from Disney Springs.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

DS and I utilized Uber a few times while on our May trip. It was very convenient to set it up and have a knowledge of when their arrival would be. When rushing for an ADR and the bus that just pulled up was full and youre looking at a wait for the next one, or to a park, it saves you in frustration. Yes the expense was more than what we are used to at home but when on vacation you know youre going to be paying slightly more than what youre used to. Our average cost over the distances were $25 - $30 plus tip.

Upvote 0

Amidala

As someone who lives in the Orlando area (very close to the parks) and Ubers around Disney often, it was at its worst in 2020 and has been getting progressively better over the past few months. Back in fall and winter it was so hard to get Ubers I would have to schedule them 24 hours in advance to avoid waiting 30-45 minutes for a ride. Lately costs seem to have fallen a bit (still much higher than they were pre-COVID, but not by as wide of a margin) and the wait times are back under 10 minutes, at least in my experience.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom