Has "Mission: Space" met expectations??

Would you like to see Spaceship Earth be transformed into a thrill ride??

• No, Spaceship Earth is a classic and shouldn't be tampered with

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • No, but I would like to see some improvements and updates to the ride

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • No, the ride could be changed to be more of a thrill

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Yes, it is time to put Spaceship Earth to rest

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters

MonorailGreen

Original Poster
Just wonder what you all think. Has this attraction brough new life into Epcot and thrills for the future or is this an attraction that will wear out in a few years?? I have rode on Mission: Space once and I loved it =) Did it meet the expectations of Disney Officials though?? Has it eleviated Test Track lines?? Any thoughts on Mission: Space are welcome =)

The ride definitely lived up to my pretty high expectations and completely passed them. Also, I dont think the ride really helped the Test Track line. Actually, when I went, test track lines were longer than they were when m:s wasnt open.

MonorailGreen

Original Poster
Spaceship Earth and Mission: Space

Written By Avenger23:
The poll says Spaceship Earth and the thread is about Mission : Space...
No, your not missing anything the poll just relates because they are both in Epcot...

SpongeScott

I open this thread thinking it's a M:S poll, but instead it's all about Spaceship Earth? Where is the connection? Has M:S met expectations? I don't know, because we're trying to find if SE should be changed. :hammer:

MonorailGreen

Original Poster
Poll

Originally posted by SpongeScott
I open this thread thinking it's a M:S poll, but instead it's all about Spaceship Earth? Where is the connection? Has M:S met expectations? I don't know, because we're trying to find if SE should be changed. :hammer:
I am sorry, I messed up and put this poll in the wrong spot...
Post and type "one or 1" if you think M:S has met expectations
Post and type "two or 2" if you think M:S has not met expectations
My fault, apologies to all who come =)

Testtrack321

Dude, you have really deceptive titles and polls. I've seen them before. Anyway, a good title would have had SSE in it. But yes, I think that M:S has lived up to expectations and then some. Many thought it would just be a thrill ride, but it's much more than that.

Walter

Nope. M:S did not live up to hype. I've been on it twice in one day, and I doubt that I'll be going again. I think that it would have helped if it hadn't replaced my favorite attraction, though. To answer your poll question, no, SE shouldn't be tampered with.

Avenger23

lol Ok, that being cleared up..

I really enjoyed Mission : Space, I was only on Horizions once, and was about 11yrs old, really don't remember it to miss it.

I don't think it could have lived up to the hype that was layed out for it though...very little could. I would visit it several times every trip I take though, nothing feels quite like it. Although I would say that the movie is far less entertaining than the actual feeling you get from the G's.

When I think of a let down, I think Test Track, while the last part is great around the banked curve, the rest really does nothing for me, and that ride was hyped even more than M:S I would say.

As far as Spaceship Earth...I am pretty indifferent to it, would love to see it updated a little, or changed completely. I ALWAYS thought the ride cars were un-comfortable, and the track is kinda rough and loud.

Wouldn't bother me at all if they changed it to a " thrill " type ride. Also wouldn't bother me if they just updated it a little.

Joel

Glasgow

SSE is the sort of ride that hard core enthusiasts love, but most people just say it's okay. It could probably use a few touch ups - I don't like the idea of gutting it, but I think most rides that reference technology in some way need to be refreshed every once in a while to stay aprised of current technical developments. Makes the ride more authentic.

As for rides like Pirates and Haunted Mansion, for example, those are period/themed pieces that shouldn't be updated IMO. If something breaks you can replace it with newer technology (like in the animatronics) but as for the overall story, leave em alone please

The_CEO

I just wanted to make a comment, I'm not trying to be pushy. I'm just setting my humble opinion.

I don't think mixing two diffrent topics together is a good idea. Like you did, Monorail Green, mixing, SE , and MS. I have seen posts cluttered. May I suggest making two diffrent topics next time? Cause most of the time. People make the threads with the same topic poll. You understand? Thanks for listening MG.

Justin

the-reason

I think it has lived up to the hype, and as for SSE, I really dont know what I my opinion is. I like it a lot, but I hate to see a lotta people disrespect it, because its boring or whatever and people sleeping on it, but Maybe it is time for a change, I would like it to stay because it had alittle bit of walts taste, but for epcots good sakes maybe it should change.

Dr Albert Falls

A few thoughts---

* M:S is without a doubt an incredible addition to Epcot. It cannot singlehandedly re-invent the park (Tower of Terror could not either-- it needed Rock-n-Roller Coaster and Fantasmic to make MGM the "must visit" park it is now) But M:S--- with the addition of Soarin' and the future Spaceship Earth rennovation--- will certainly draw back audiences to Epcot that once said "We'll never go back THERE again."

* The few times I've been to Epcot since M:S was opened to the general public, I've arrived at around 7pm. There was practically no wait for M:S---- Test Track standby had 30 minutes or more. (Does anyone have the hourly capacity numbers for each attraction? My guess is that M:S can churn out more people an hour. Also, if TT malfunctions, the whole ride goes down-- at M:S, there are usually back-up centrifuges running).

Although M:S may help delay a "sell out" of TT's FastPasses--- I doubt we'll ever see a shorter TT wait because of M:S. If anything, I think M:S will draw more visitors to that section of the park, and drive UP the TT wait.

*Back to the Spaceship Earth renovation rumor-- for the millionth time-- there has been absolutely NO EVIDENCE it will be a "thrill ride";.

General Grizz

Originally posted by Dr Albert Falls
. . . the future Spaceship Earth rennovation--- will certainly draw back audiences to Epcot that once said "We'll never go back THERE again."

Yeah. . . except losing the original concept will have a whole other group say "We'll never go back THERE again."

There needs to be a balance...and I can't trust Disney with Spaceship Earth after seeing what happened to "Motion," "Horizons," and "Journey into Imagination."

(P.S. There are no plans to make SE a thrill ride.)

Becky

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
and I can't trust Disney with Spaceship Earth after seeing what happened to "Motion," "Horizons," and "Journey into Imagination."

(P.S. There are no plans to make SE a thrill ride.)

Totally agree with the first part and hope you are 200% right with the second part.

SSE was better before they changed it:( Now after you reach the summit there is basically nothing (unless you count "movie screens" etc) on the trip back down.

"Tomorrow's child" also gave SSE character, much like "Just make believe you're a tiny little seed" did for the Land ride.:cool: Edit- I guess the title was really "Listen to the Land"

So I vote take a step back to what SSE was and make the ride cars comfortable and fix the audio.:)

As for MS, anything that brings more people into Epcot is fine with me.:D

Epcot4ME

I have ridden Mission: Space once....I though it was great the few seconds inbetween being dizzy and sick as dog! I am a great fan of space exploration and was looking forward to the ride but I am just too sensitive to the spinning to ride it. It's a great ride...

(boy am I glad they had cold air blowing on my face!)

I love SSE and would hate to see them get away from the theme...that communication between people is the key to mankind's growth. BUT it annoyed me when they took out the part near the end having to do with space travel. As someone else noted, there's nothing much after you turn around and head back to earth. It needs updating and the space travel as a goal put back in.

Epcot4ME

meeko_33785

I admit that Spaceship Earth could us some changes, but IMO, it's definatly not the most needy attraction for a rehab. Wonders of Life, Living Seas, and Universe of Energy are very outdated, while Spaceship Earth still retains, to me anyway, somewhat of a timelessness. I think rehabing these attractions first would be a much better idea.

As far as Mission: SPACE, this attraction met all of my expectations. I really think it's on par with Tower of Terror as one of the most amazing attractions added to WDW in the past decade. Absolutly astonishing and a sign that Disney Imageneering is indeed still alive and doing well.

btb6mm

Mission Space was awsome to me and I rode it 4 time in a row. SE should stay the way it is and thats all I got to say about that.
Misssion Space is a must ride on every trip.:wave:

Epcot is my fav

HEYYYYY....ive been gone from the posts for a while but now im backkkkk......

I rode mission space 14 times over the summer and each time was better then the first........BUT Spaceship Earth is a classic and should be touched........

They are both great

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom