Has Fantasmic run its course?

EpcotMark

Original Poster
With the recent announcement of Reflections of Earth ending, and Wishes having been replaced, I began wondering what is going to be happening with the Studios stadium show. I believe its been running even longer than ROE has been. I still like Fantasmic, but what do you think? Is it time for a new show?

Ninja Mom

It could use some upgrades but it is still a spectacular show. I'd hate to think of how current management would dumb it down and cheapen it with any kind of a remake.

Keep in mind we are now in the era of build it cheaper, charge more, offer less. Fantasmic is of the era where the Imagineers could create something fantastic on a grand scale. With current management running the show we get decisions like only putting 1 animatronic in the Navi River journey and removing the characters in Rivers of Light. This essentially creatively reduces Rivers of Light to a evening boat show which, when you consider all that Disney used to create, is an embarrassment. Can you imagine Pirates of the Caribbean with ONE pirate? That's what we got with the Navi River Journey.

Meanwhile over in Tokyo they get this:
https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...awhile-before-the-technology-comes-to-orlando

Anything that Disney touches now at WDW under it's current 'Profits First' management will be a shell of an offering, poorly thought out and done on the "cheap". WDW is the second class citizen in the Disney theme park empire. Management is running it into the ground in the current quest for profits.

So yes, Fantasmic could use a remake, but I dread the thought of how they will mess it up (Journey into imagination I'm looking at you!)

~NM

Last edited:

Mista C

It could use some upgrades but it is still a spectacular show. I'd hate to think of how current management would dumb it down and cheapen it with any kind of a remake.

Keep in mind we are now in the era of build it cheaper, charge more, offer less. Fantasmic is of the era where the Imagineers could create something fantastic on a grand scale. With current management running the show we get decisions like only putting 1 animatronic in the Navi River journey and removing the characters in Rivers of Light. This essentially creatively reduces Rivers of Light to a evening boat show which, when you consider all that Disney used to create, is an embarrassment. Can you imagine Pirates of the Caribbean with ONE pirate? That's what we got with the Navi River Journey.

Meanwhile over in Hong Kong they get this:
https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...awhile-before-the-technology-comes-to-orlando

Anything that Disney touches now at WDW under it's current 'Profits First' management will be a shell of an offering, poorly thought out and done on the "cheap". WDW is the second class citizen in the Disney theme park empire. Management is running it into the ground in the current quest for profits.

So yes, Fantasmic could use a remake, but I dread the thought of how they will mess it up (Journey into imagination I'm looking at you!)

~NM

Holy smokes Ninja Mom! This is EXACTLY 100% how I feel. You took the words right out of my mouth!

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I wouldn't mind it. Fantasmic at Disneyland is "fun" but by no means do I love it. Since they closed Lights Motors Action, perhaps they could consider a different type of water show that incorporates the very best of all Disney shows? Either that or they can put in a spectacular attraction and change BatB.

TP2000

In the last ten years the Disneyland version has received two full-show rethinks and massive tech updates and additions. In the last twenty years the DHS version has received none of that.

Fantasmic! sparkles and impresses at Disneyland, while at DHS it whimpers and embarrasses. The only thing the DHS version needs is a year long closure to get all the new stuff and upgrades Disneyland’s version has received since 2009.

mergatroid

~NM

Galaxy's Edge included in this?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It ran its course years ago for me. I have zero desire to see the show again until it is revamped or at least significantly updated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom