Has EPCOT's World Showcase been lucky?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
What I mean is that, for the most part, the 11 countries currently represented have been at relative peace with each other in the past 40 years. The recent unrest in Brazil made me realize it's challenging if there ever was a conflict between two separate countries, say if Russia and Ukraine had their own pavilions and at the time, CM's from each of their respective countries, what that would look like and how Disney would handle it, outside of just dropping the international CM program for World Showcase altogether if it came to that.

We nearly got a Russia, Iran, Israel and other pavilions and that would have IMO made major differences in how we see the World Showcase.

Thoughts?

JIMINYCR

I don’t see conflicts taking place at EP. Dis isn’t a setting that would be a place for carrying over conflict that is happening outside of the USA. Here in Maine there is a camp where kids come from battle grounds to spend summers sharing meals, activities and programs together that show peace and compassion for a perceived enemy can be attained. It works very well and Carrie’s over when they return home. Dis could be an ideal setting to accomplish the same.
A couple of pavilions would not be allowed to showcase a negative atmosphere for guests to worry about.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

What we have a bunch of horrible corrupt world leadershiding behind their troops and their people, doesn't mean we all hate each other. Just like I dont hate Russia Or Ukraine. I hate our government to doesnt mean I hate my fellow Americans.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don’t think the CMs would have been an issue but I do wonder if they dodged a bullet from a protest point of view, had Israel, Iran, or Russia become a pavilion I think they likely would have been a place for people to make political statements.

I could be 100% wrong though, somehow the China pavilion has avoided any controversy despite their human rights issues, conflict with Taiwan, and the islands controversy.

Maybe people are just too busy enjoying Epcot to care.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not really. The pavilions were a stylised, idealistic version of their countries - not their governments or leaders. Japan was built despite Pearl Harbour. China stayed open despite Tiananmen Square. They even built the UK despite the tea party.
…breaking news…they’re gonna have to close the American pavilion Because our “tea party” 🙄

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What I mean is that, for the most part, the 11 countries currently represented have been at relative peace with each other in the past 40 years. The recent unrest in Brazil made me realize it's challenging if there ever was a conflict between two separate countries, say if Russia and Ukraine had their own pavilions and at the time, CM's from each of their respective countries, what that would look like and how Disney would handle it, outside of just dropping the international CM program for World Showcase altogether if it came to that.

We nearly got a Russia, Iran, Israel and other pavilions and that would have IMO made major differences in how we see the World Showcase.

Thoughts?
Lucky? Maybe…

But the reality is that when Epcot was conceived, there was no reason for any of those countries to ever fire a shot at each other. They are all completely economically co-dependent and the bucks tend to “speak the language of diplomacy”

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What we have a bunch of horrible corrupt world leadershiding behind their troops and their people, doesn't mean we all hate each other. Just like I dont hate Russia Or Ukraine. I hate our government to doesnt mean I hate my fellow Americans.
Ugh…I’ll gladly accept the moderation…but this can’t just skate…

This is the longest, most unique, most adaptive political experiment in the history of the planet. And most successful. Just the facts.

400,000 soldiers and support personal died over 5 years not that long ago and it was all in countries not their own except for about two hours one morning in Hawaii…
And they asked for nothing in return except for everyone else to get back home.

I think your standards are just a tad too high.

Marc Davis Fan

I think much of the idea of World Showcase is that we’re celebrating the cultures of these different nations, rather than their present governments.

A possible exception is The American Adventure, since it’s in part about the US being an experiment of national-level democracy plus individual rights, etc.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Ugh…I’ll gladly accept the moderation…but this can’t just skate…

This is the longest, most unique, most adaptive political experiment in the history of the planet. And most successful. Just the facts.

400,000 soldiers and support personal died over 5 years not that long ago and it was all in countries not their own except for about two hours one morning in Hawaii…
And they asked for nothing in return except for everyone else to get back home.

I think your standards are just a tad too high.
I want to see Putin and Zelenski have it out in person with no weapons but their own 2 hands and feet

ppete1975

Thoughts?
I think the bigger issue might be the countries wanting to be removed. I could see Russia or Iran saying they dont want anything to do with america and would end their agreement. That brings up a question, if a country lets say China said we want our area rethemed to another country or removed, would Disney have to. Lets say tomorrow China says we think americans disrespect our culture and the temple of heaven and we no longer want it at your park. China is just an example, I doubt this would happen especially with them having a park in Shanghai.

JohnD

Thoughts?
It's not like WDW ideas haven't been affected by conflict before. In 1971, a Persian themed resort sounded very exotic. Eight years later (1979) was the Iran Hostage Crisis and the taking over of Iran's government by the Ayatollah. Not very likely you would have a resort based on Persia after that. 9 years later (1988), the Grand Floridian opened in the same location instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom