Has Bongo's Lost Its Touch?

ULPO46

Original Poster
We all know that Disney food quality has become a vast joke in the past 10+ years. But has anyone noticed that even the restaurants whom are not owned by Disney Co. loosing quality as well. Sure there are some restaurants that are still ok, but let's face it quality has fallen. In the instance of Bongos Cuban Café, owned by Miami Sound Machine stars Gloria and Emilio Estefan, the quality of it's Disney Springs location has fallen dramatically. Although their Miami Bayside Location closed, there is still another café located in Hollywood, Fl. This location has friendlier staff and although has the same pricing, has a much higher quality of food. I understand that the supply and demand on this location can be rather high, but come on. Quality is extremely important. Although I have tried the new locations around the "re-imagined" Disney Springs, they are nothing out of this world, i'd rather drive through an hour of traffic to go to Carrabas, Longhorn, or one of my favorite local restaurants. I don't know this is from my personal experience, reading countless very recent reviews, and just an oversight of the property.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I too do not agree with your premise, but then again my QS meals are limited to Sleepy Hollow, Flame Tree, and Columbia Harbor House. The majority of our meals are very well prepared, of high quality ingredients, and served by conscientious staff. Basing your blanket statement off of one location of a chain restaurant is quite a straw man, I see you didnt sample the South Beach location for a differential analysis either.

Rob562

I will agree with your assessment of Bongo's. We ate there for the first (and last) time this past June. It was a crowded night in DD and I was able to get a last-minute reservation through Open Table. We were seated outside on the side patio. Our server's attention was severely lacking (I think we saw him three times the entire meal, only ever ordered a single round of drinks because of it).

I don't specifically recall what we had to eat, though I remember the appetizer being decent, the rest of the meal less-so. The entire meal would have been entirely forgettable...if it hadn't made me physically ill a couple hours later. (Thankfully I felt 100% better immediately afterward, since it was the first night of our trip)

We have absolutely no desire to return to Bongo's. We had much better (and cheaper) Cuban food at an off-property place on Palm Parkway the previous November.

-Rob

Hockey89

We all know that Disney food quality has become a vast joke in the past 10+ years. But has anyone noticed that even the restaurants whom are not owned by Disney Co. loosing quality as well. Sure there are some restaurants that are still ok, but let's face it quality has fallen. In the instance of Bongos Cuban Café, owned by Miami Sound Machine stars Gloria and Emilio Estefan, the quality of it's Disney Springs location has fallen dramatically. Although their Miami Bayside Location closed, there is still another café located in Hollywood, Fl. This location has friendlier staff and although has the same pricing, has a much higher quality of food. I understand that the supply and demand on this location can be rather high, but come on. Quality is extremely important. Although I have tried the new locations around the "re-imagined" Disney Springs, they are nothing out of this world, i'd rather drive through an hour of traffic to go to Carrabas, Longhorn, or one of my favorite local restaurants. I don't know this is from my personal experience, reading countless very recent reviews, and just an oversight of the property.
You would drive an hour in traffic for Longhorn or Carrabas? This is one of the oddest post ever on this board.... Carrabas???? Really?

jaklgreen

I think there are a lot of great places to eat at WDW, especially Disney springs. I have not been to bongos so can not comment on their food but my new favorite place is Morimoto's. :hungry:

ULPO46

Original Poster
Expect to see some changes at Bongos in the near future.
No not anytime soon. The Estefans closed down the Bayside location as rent was too high and the only movement came during Miami Heat games or Concerts and special events at the AAA. How ever they are going to create a new restaurant in Miami near the opera house. Whether or not they implement the Emilio's concept in DS is up to them as they are the 100% owner of the brand. How ever nasty reviews keep on coming in to this place even after all the updates to DS. Management won't change anytime soon but if it does I hope it's for the better. If you want real Cuban food for the same price I recommend Celebrations Columbias best Cuban food for a fine dining experience outside of Miami with the original in Ybor City.

ULPO46

Original Poster
You would drive an hour in traffic for Longhorn or Carrabas? This is one of the oddest post ever on this board.... Carrabas???? Really?
Yes I'm not the only one if you want real good food for a reasonable price and you are on a budget yes. For real Latin food, not Mexican, most Latinos will drive an hour away due to the traffic to a Sedanos or Lechonera to eat. The reason why I started this is because it's understandable that no one in WDC reads bad comments but when these establishments keep on getting very poor reviews and no one seems to respond at even a small dining establishment, my eyebrows get raised because I hate bad comments. I love to keep my guest happy and if there stay was crap, I offer them discounted stay and extra items if they need them. That's what I learned from experience. Why this place and so many others across the resort have fallen in quality service baffles me.

ULPO46

Original Poster
I too do not agree with your premise, but then again my QS meals are limited to Sleepy Hollow, Flame Tree, and Columbia Harbor House. The majority of our meals are very well prepared, of high quality ingredients, and served by conscientious staff. Basing your blanket statement off of one location of a chain restaurant is quite a straw man, I see you didnt sample the South Beach location for a differential analysis either.
I did but South Beach closed a while back I did state the one in Hollywood. Everyone's pallets are very different and it's understandable that not everyone will taste the same food but my deal is the quality. I understand that more guest are coming than ever and everything must be pre prepped but honestly it should never be served cold or have guest furious after wards. I am not speaking on this from my personal experiences I do travel off resort if I get hungry or bring in a publix sub for lunch. I totally respect the fast food guys because it's a never ending rush and yes it does get tiring flipping hamburgers I did that to pay for my car while in high school. I just like to google and Yelp some of the famous locales and some of the lesser locales across the resort and the reviews that I've been reading seriously have me questioning why Dosney has to cut corners because after all even if half the restaurants arent owned by the company itself, the quality should be what your are paying for. It's like going to Peter Lugers ordering a 200 dollar steak only to have it taste like cardboard. That's what so many guest see and I respect your views but, I also see behind the scenes how low quality the food prep is.

Hockey89

Yes I'm not the only one if you want real good food for a reasonable price and you are on a budget yes. For real Latin food, not Mexican, most Latinos will drive an hour away due to the traffic to a Sedanos or Lechonera to eat. The reason why I started this is because it's understandable that no one in WDC reads bad comments but when these establishments keep on getting very poor reviews and no one seems to respond at even a small dining establishment, my eyebrows get raised because I hate bad comments. I love to keep my guest happy and if there stay was crap, I offer them discounted stay and extra items if they need them. That's what I learned from experience. Why this place and so many others across the resort have fallen in quality service baffles me.
You do know longhorn sucks really bad right? That it is ds compared to Yachtmans Steak house?

ULPO46

Original Poster
You do know longhorn sucks really bad right? That it is ds compared to Yachtmans Steak house?
I used longhorn as an example not Yachtmans. I'm speaking in the sense that I know of countless families on budgets and your average AP holder which accounts for over 50% of the customer base at WDW resort. The majority will eat outside where the food is better quality and prices a lot more reasonable.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
We all know that Disney food quality has become a vast joke in the past 10+ years.
I think the opposite is true, dining has only gotten better at WDW. At one point fine dining consisted of getting ketshup with your cheese burger. Now there's incredibly variety, of places to eat, whether you choose QS or sit down. Many different price points as well. you can get a very healthy meal in any of the parks that is relatively inexpensive.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
My wife and I skew towards Mexican cuisine, not Caribbean , so Bongos has been off of our radar since it opened. We do however enjoy lots of the other table service venues on property. What we look for is consistent presentation, quality, and taste and havent seen a decline. However there are quite a few locations that are quite overrated and do not meet either the median for the food style they attempt to present.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
No not anytime soon. The Estefans closed down the Bayside location as rent was too high and the only movement came during Miami Heat games or Concerts and special events at the AAA. How ever they are going to create a new restaurant in Miami near the opera house. Whether or not they implement the Emilio's concept in DS is up to them as they are the 100% owner of the brand. How ever nasty reviews keep on coming in to this place even after all the updates to DS. Management won't change anytime soon but if it does I hope it's for the better. If you want real Cuban food for the same price I recommend Celebrations Columbias best Cuban food for a fine dining experience outside of Miami with the original in Ybor City.
Expect changes soon. Disney are well aware of the issues and are taking steps.

Schneewittchen

I love Cuban food. Unfortunately, Bongos isn't the best. It's bland. I loved the decor at Bongos (though it's getting a bit shabby with age) and I've never been disappointed by their drinks, but honestly Cuba Libre (another small chain) out on Universal Drive has far better food and cool decor as well. And I can regularly get better Cuban at an itty bitty mom n pop restaurant here in the DC suburbs than I ever did at Bongos.

I hope the alluded to changes involve a big remodel and a new executive chef.

ULPO46

Original Poster
I love Cuban food. Unfortunately, Bongos isn't the best. It's bland. I loved the decor at Bongos (though it's getting a bit shabby with age) and I've never been disappointed by their drinks, but honestly Cuba Libre (another small chain) out on Universal Drive has far better food and cool decor as well. And I can regularly get better Cuban at an itty bitty mom n pop restaurant here in the DC suburbs than I ever did at Bongos.

I hope the alluded to changes involve a big remodel and a new executive chef.
Not to mention better waiters. Guest experience is number one priority and if a waiter doesn't like his/her job they shouldn't be there. That's the biggest problem for so many people who work through out the resort. What goes on behind the scenes does not matter if the actors up front aren't helping out or offering the best service possible. I have know of the changes but it's taking longer than what it should have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom