Has anyone tried to do the DDP while keeping kosher?

figmentisgreat

I'm converting to Judaism and will be starting to keep kosher effective March-ish sometime.
Has anyone done the DDP while trying to keep kosher?
Are they pretty good about substituting stuff?
I know a lot of times they have butter sauce on the steak and mashed potatoes...would they be accomodating?
Also, what should I do about desert?
I will be waiting half an hour between meat and dairy...could I theoretically eat the meat first, and then let half an hour pass while I'm on the table?
Or is there some alternative?

Phonedave

I'm converting to Judaism and will be starting to keep kosher effective March-ish sometime.
Has anyone done the DDP while trying to keep kosher?
Are they pretty good about substituting stuff?
I know a lot of times they have butter sauce on the steak and mashed potatoes...would they be accomodating?
Also, what should I do about desert?
I will be waiting half an hour between meat and dairy...could I theoretically eat the meat first, and then let half an hour pass while I'm on the table?
Or is there some alternative?

Thats tricky. While I am not Jewish, and if for some strange reason ever wanted to be, I would not be kosher (bacon, pork chops, ham, shrimp, oysters, sushi, mmmmmm :) ) I do live in an area with a large Jewish population, and many many kosher restaruants.

From what I have seen, I don't know how you can be sure anything in WDW is kosher. As far as I know, they do not have seperate meat and dairy processing areas. Once a pan is used to cook meat its "baked into" the pan (from a religious sense, not a physical or chemical sense) and no amount of scrubbing is going to remove it. Then once dairy hits it, well its all downhill from there.

There are a number of kosher places around here (in fact there is a kosher Dunkin Donuts across the street from work) and they do a LOT of cooking off site in a controlled wharehouse. The dunkin donuts trucks all its donuts in. Nothing is prepared in the store. I believe kosher airline meals are the same, they are in a sealed carton.

If WDW does offer a kosher alternative, chances are its going to be a pre-pack of some sort. Made off site, and sealed in a box, and then heated in that box in a microwave.

-dave

Upvote 0

Senderella

I'm not kosher, but I know someone who's gone down to WDW on the DDP who is kosher. All the meals (at least the buffets that I'm sure of) are prepackaged meals. You've got a few selections to choose from and you have to "place your orders" a day or 2 in advance. If you call Disney Dining, they'll be able to explain it a lot more in depth. There's also an article on Allears about Keeping Kosher. http://allears.net/din/guestkosher.htm

Good luck!!

Upvote 0

FatBoy976

This reply might come off as judgmental, but it sounds like you're not planning on keeping strict kosher, more of a kosher style. If you're willing to eat Disney's steak without butter sauce on it, they will accommodate you. You just have to know that the steak will be cooked in a pan that also contained shell fish and pork, and that the cow was probably not processes under strict supervision. If you want only kosher meat, you're going to have to go with prepackaged stuff, like the other responders have said. Disney simply does not have the space, nor would it be profitable, for them to have a kosher kitchen at every restaurant.

My guess is if you want to sit around for that half hour at a restaurant, they won't mind. You can also order non-dairy based desserts or eat a vegetarian meal.

Welcome to the tribe!

Upvote 0

mdisney

sorry for starting up this old topic, but i feel that it needs to be done. I feel that Disney would make a lot more money if they had grab and go sandwiches that were kosher. That way they do not need to eat the TV dinners that are frozen and been in a freezer for a while and might get frost bite on them.

Upvote 0

dmagickingdom

sorry for starting up this old topic, but i feel that it needs to be done. I feel that Disney would make a lot more money if they had grab and go sandwiches that were kosher. That way they do not need to eat the TV dinners that are frozen and been in a freezer for a while and might get frost bite on them.

I see what u r saying but I will say from experience (working in F & B @ Disney for some time previously), not many guests ask for Kosher products. There might be 2-3 requests per week AT BEST in the several places I worked for Kosher. And to answer the other one's question, the kosher that Disney supplies is packaged food. With the small amount of requests for kosher, I don't think Disney would want to "reserve" cooking supplies in every restaurant in the rare occasion someone asks for kosher.

Upvote 0

CMTinkerbell99

There are kosher meals at the quick service locations

There are limited choices for Kosher meals at the quick service locations. You just need to check with guest services!

Upvote 0

amejr999

Since it's been bumped already, and to answer the original question: the DDP covers kosher meals (described on Allears) the same way it covers regular meals. So at meals, you get one main dish, one desert, and one beverage. But kosher meals aren't that expensive (around $19 for a table-service main course and $6 for a desert, and around $9 for a fast-food meal), so the DDP likely isn't really worthwhile.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom