Has anyone ridden the Mermaid ride lately?

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
I'm asking because I'm horrified about the condition of the Ariel animatronic in the beginning of the ride - the one who sings "Part of Your World". Apparently, it started malfunctioning some time ago and has never been fully repaired. In the video below, you can see how bad the figure was behaving a year ago (the Ariel figure appears in the video first):

When I saw that, I searched for a more recent video of the Mermaid ride. This is from 7 days ago:

In the first video, we see the Ariel figure rock jerkily back and forth with her unmoving mouth wide open. In the second, she's moving a lot better - but her mouth is still messed up. It's stiff, still gaping, and barely moves. It looks awful. Just awful.

This is appalling. I had no idea things had gotten so bad. Good grief, Imagineers! What the hell is wrong with you guys? There is no excuse for this. None whatsoever!

JoeCamel

My theory is that a lot of the institutional knowledge along with many experienced warm bodies were tossed during Covid and will not/did not return. Anybody want to be a ride tech?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
My theory is that a lot of the institutional knowledge along with many experienced warm bodies were tossed during Covid and will not/did not return. Anybody want to be a ride tech?
Agreed... Probably got a lot of people who don't know what they're doing now... Probably put "maintenance" on their resume for McDonalds and they barely know how to fix the ice cream machine.

Comped

Agreed... Probably got a lot of people who don't know what they're doing now... Probably put "maintenance" on their resume for McDonalds and they barely know how to fix the ice cream machine.
Big problem across all 3 chains at the moment, and not just in maintenance...

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
So it's poor maintenance, then? Good grief, do the suits in charge of WDW really believe that guests can't tell that Ariel's mouth isn't working, and how bad that looks?

It's been a while...but didn't Iger once brag on a corporate phone call that he'd cut the maintenance budget for the parks?

Well, if he did, it certainly shows. Iger should be fired for this alone, for his shoddy treatment of the parks and park guests. It's this kind of "oh, it's good enough for the rubes we're shaking down for big bucks. Those idiots will never know the difference" attitude that's also been the reason the Yeti in EE has never been fixed. Maybe, just like they did with the Yeti, "maintenance" will someday point a strobe light on Ariel's mouth or something. This is appalling. Appalling beyond words.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Unfortunately yes. Only us dedicated fans, a very small majority, notice these things.
I think the average guest is a bit more savvy that you give them credit for. People notice things. Maybe not everyone, because so many these days have the attention span of a gnat (and the intellect to go along with it), but I’d guess more than a small minority can tell when things seem off. And it certainly could be that I’m wrong.

Andrew25

I think the average guest is a bit more savvy that you give them credit for. People notice things. Maybe not everyone, because so many these days have the attention span of a gnat (and the intellect to go along with it), but I’d guess more than a small minority can tell when things seem off. And it certainly could be that I’m wrong.
I'm not trying to say that guests are idiots or don't notice a lack of quality/maintenance on some things, but most people won't be able to tell if an effect/figure is working properly as intended, and that unfortunately gives Disney an excuse.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm not trying to say that guests are idiots or don't notice a lack of quality/maintenance on some things, but most people won't be able to tell if an effect/figure is working properly as intended, and that unfortunately gives Disney an excuse.
Fair point. And sadly, that last part is so very true.

Here's looking at you, Rise of the Resistance. 😂 Luckiest damn ride in the history of the parks when it comes to first-time riders not knowing what's supposed to work.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
So it's poor maintenance, then? Good grief, do the suits in charge of WDW really believe that guests can't tell that Ariel's mouth isn't working, and how bad that looks?

It's been a while...but didn't Iger once brag on a corporate phone call that he'd cut the maintenance budget for the parks?

Well, if he did, it certainly shows. Iger should be fired for this alone, for his shoddy treatment of the parks and park guests. It's this kind of "oh, it's good enough for the rubes we're shaking down for big bucks. Those idiots will never know the difference" attitude that's also been the reason the Yeti in EE has never been fixed. Maybe, just like they did with the Yeti, "maintenance" will someday point a strobe light on Ariel's mouth or something. This is appalling. Appalling beyond words.
That is the problem with current management….their thinking is if it’s good enough, why bother to do anything

People are noticing

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom