Has anyone ever died on Tom Sawyer Island...seriously?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If somebody says that there are cameras in the cave, then perhaps they know that they really are there.
Or...they want you to think that - just to keep people honest and moral.

If somebody says that there are no cameras in the cave, then perhaps they know that they really aren't there.
Or....they want you to think that - just so that you will get caught by the cameras and made an example of.

Who to believe???

It's just a CONUNDRUM

Well i can see it happening in that "secret tunnel" in the fort, it's so narrow that someone overweight will get stuck XD
and someone died on mt. everest when i was there i think
i love how they cover it up for that day, then you go on the internet and every death is on like one site.

I was going through and was like...I hope no one is stuck in front of us!:lol:

LoriMistress

It seem like every year at DLR some high school/college kid always dies at TSI. The cause of their death is by drinking. They get drunk and decide it would "so cool" if they swim to the other side. They don't realize how far and deep the water is, they lose their breath, and drown.

Here's a link to some of the deaths in the Disney parks.
http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/deaths.asp

parksjae

Original Poster
The reason I asked the question and started the thread is because I headed over to TSI a few weeks ago for the first time ever, and a few things surprised me. 1, the tunnels/caves...I felt like someone would be hiding around the corner, and if there are no cameras...kind of a scary thought. With the recent pedophiles being caught at the Disney Water parks, who knows what kind of person could be hiding in that dark, maze like area with no cameras. Additionally, one cave reeked of urine, so who knows what else goes on in there. 2, I saw a lady take a pretty hard spill on the barrel bridge, and it got me thinking how often that happens, and how serious someone has been injured. 3, probably the biggest concern, was the boat over to the island. My boat was 110% full, and I was the last person onboard. When they shut the 'gate' (put a piece of rope across the opening), it came up to my knees, and if someone that I was shoulder to shoulder with would have lost their balance, I would have easily been knocked off and went overboard. No question.

disneydata

1, the tunnels/caves...I felt like someone would be hiding around the corner, and if there are no cameras...kind of a scary thought. 2, I saw a lady take a pretty hard spill on the barrel bridge, and it got me thinking how often that happens 3, probably the biggest concern, was the boat over to the island. My boat was 110% full.

I have never seen a parent send a small child in alone. I would never do that myself either. I guess it's just a case of parental supervision. Yes, there is a spot in one of the caves that parents like to take their kids to "go" when they're inside. It's hard to clean and take the smell out of because it's so hard to get to.

Injuries happen just the same amount as everywhere else. Most of it involves people not paying attention to their surroundings.

The raft capacities were lowered a few years ago. The amount of people is carefully looked at for any watercraft and no one (at least in the last 5 years) has fallen off a raft.

On another note, I can assure you with 100% certainty that there are no cameras on the islands. I have been to every part of the island and seen just about every inch (including backstage areas).

unkadug

I have never seen a parent send a small child in alone. I would never do that myself either. I guess it's just a case of parental supervision. Yes, there is a spot in one of the caves that parents like to take their kids to "go" when they're inside. It's hard to clean and take the smell out of because it's so hard to get to.

Injuries happen just the same amount as everywhere else. Most of it involves people not paying attention to their surroundings.

The raft capacities were lowered a few years ago. The amount of people is carefully looked at for any watercraft and no one (at least in the last 5 years) has fallen off a raft.

On another note, I can assure you with 100% certainty that there are no cameras on the islands. I have been to every part of the island and seen just about every inch (including backstage areas).

I find it hard to believe that guests have no problem finding this "spot', but that the cleaning crew can't seem to find it.

Perhaps they need to take a guest with a child along with them. :shrug:

BenS

I find it hard to believe that guests have no problem finding this "spot', but that the cleaning crew can't seem to find it.

Maybe it's that one part of a cave where you're on a bridge over an apparently bottomless pit (just a lighting effect), maybe the, uh, substance in question goes down there?

And I really think Disney should install a camera in there. Any guest who would do that (or have their child do it) should be kicked out and have their admission revoked.

parksjae

Original Poster

I don't disagree that injuries happen everywhere; someone could trip down the SFR stairs, or fall at Poohs playground. However the way certain things are set up over on TSI seems more prone to unexpected injury. It just seems like in today's "lawsuit" era, Disney would monitor these things a little more closely. I was surprised at how 'rocky' those barrels were, and I think the lady I saw fall was too. I think some appropriate signage would be sufficient...that's all I'm saying.

And for the rafts, I can assure you that raft was over capacity. As I was boarding, the guy at the dock said to the driver, "This one is real full so take it slow...it's riding low." If someone would have lost their balance just the slightest, no question I would have been dominoed over the side. Thank god no one just came from drinking around the world!

And I'd be willing to bet children are running through the tunnels and caves more than you'd think. I know you've never seen it, but all it takes is one time for some creepster to hide back there and it'd all blow up in Disney's face.

Phonedave

It is easy to "pour" a "liquid" into a crevasse or crack in the rock.

Not so easy to get it back out.

-dave

PhotoDave219

Two stories involving little kids and public going.

First, me and my friend were walking past Indy Speedway towards Fantasyland in the POURING rain and saw these two women carrying this small kid spread eagle, face down. He was going as they walked.

Second, one night after wishes up by the hub, i heard the sound of water hitting water from a height and looked over and VOILA, little kid right into the moat.

These are your fellow guests, folks.

unkadug

What happened to that guy? He was a frequent poster when I posted here... I'm guessing he is now shunned :shrug: :lol:

When you posted here? :confused: Aren't you still posting here?

Anyway, I think he finally crossed the lined and was barred.

Bigart

There were two deaths near Tom Sawyer Island in Disneyland. In 1973 a young man hid with his younger brother on the island past closing and then both attempted to swim back accross. The older brother unfortunately drowned in the attempt. Then in 1983, a teenager stole a small rubber boat from the island. He was unable to operate the boat safely and drowned. As far as I am aware, there have been no fatalities in Tom Sawyer Island in the Magic Kingdom.

There have been several incidents in both Disneyland and WDW of various natures. Some people have passed from natural causes, others from freak accidents on rides or shows. As we know, Disney is extremely concerned for guest safety, and does everything it can to avoid incidents.

PurpleRose

There is a website, snopes.com that talks about all kinds of urban legends. What the story is, if it's fact or fiction, and tells the real truth. The site has a whole sub-section for Disney. It's real interesting to go and read some of the stuff on there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom