Has anybody ever visited WDW alone?

soxfan040713

I consider myself a pretty big WDW veteran (11 times in 21 years, probably not as impressive as some of you on here lol), all with my parents/family. Now that I'm older (26) and working full time, I've had so many urges to just drop everything and make a trip. Being a guy its understandably hard to convince friends my age to pick Disney as their destination for a vacation, and my family is getting older and can't exactly go at the same pace as they used to. Has anybody traveled to WDW alone? Is it awkward/weird? Just wondering if anyone has traveled solo and how their experiences were, interested to find out!

sissa216

I've spent time there alone in the past- years ago as a CM, and recently exploring a bit on my own during a travel agent training trip.
It can be quite enjoyable, and a lot more people do it than you would think! It can be nice to explore on your own schedule. I love photography, so I took the time to get the shots I wanted, without worrying that I was holding up my family.

Upvote 0

EOD K9

@soxfan040713 I had purchased DVC when I was your age before I broke up with my then GF. We had planned on combining our points each vacation but that went out the window quick. Not to be discouraged, I went several times on my own before I met the woman who would become my wife. IIRC I went five times by myself. I made sure I had things planned out, brought books to read, and so on. On one walk on ride, the CM asked me how many, told him just myself, and he gave me a few free FPs so I wouldn't have to wait my myself on some of the other rides. The nice part of going alone is that you just do whatever you feel like. There is no need to ask someone what they want to do, no arguments over if someone wants to nap or where to eat. Go and enjoy yourself.

Upvote 0

rael ramone

If you have the ability to do 'vacation' like things by yourself (table service dining, museums, etc) and enjoy yourself - then definitely do it.

Your own pace. You can do some stuff over & over and skip other stuff. It's easy to be 'safe' there, especially if you know the place like the back of your hand. You eat what (and when) you want. The only things standing in the way of being there for ropedrop every morning are your own stamina and the transportation to the parks - or you can sleep as long as you want. You can go back to the room when you want.

Upvote 0

ginadee

Havnt been solo YET but have read so many things on solo trips on this forum that Im really looking forward to it. There are some good solo trip reports you can find in that section.

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

For what it is worth, I got divorced in 2001. Since then I have been at least once a year, on my own. It's different but it is fun, at least I find it that way. I go where I want to, see what I want to, eat when I'm hungry and leave when the mood hits me. There are times when I see something that I think is special and wish I had someone there to share it with, but, otherwise I'm perfectly happy.:)

You have to remember that unless you broadcast that you are alone, no one knows and most importantly no one cares. They have enough to see and think about without being concerned about whether or not you are with someone else. Remember that there are many times when a group doesn't want to ride a ride and you do. It is not uncommon for people to ride things alone even if they are with someone.

Personally I don't try and hide it. If I'm in line and someone asks who I'm with, I have no hesitation to just say that I am solo. On top of that I am now almost 66 years old, that complicates the situation a little, but, I have never found it to be something that I couldn't turn into a positive. What seems to be a bigger concern is when they find out that I ride every attraction. It seems that I must be too old for the more intense rides and my participation should be confined to the Carousel. Or at least that is what they expect is happening.:joyfull:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sissa216

You have to remember that unless you broadcast that you are alone, no one knows and most importantly no one cares.

Exactly!! I'm not someone who is comfortable eating or doing other things alone back home. At WDW, it feels completely natural and comfortable. Nobody will even pay the slightest attention. I can't personally do rides like Missions Space or Star Tours- so I find myself spending some alone time when my party is enjoying those.

Upvote 0

sissa216

Thanks for the responses! I guess I would be more self-conscious when it came to dining but seems its not as rare as I thought

This March on the training trip, I took an afternoon to myself to explore Epcot and focus on pictures (something I haven't been able to do much of in recent years). I strolled through the World Showcase, grabbing some F&G treats along the way, and enjoying them by myself. I didn't feel out of place one bit.

Upvote 0

AndyS2992

I've been to Disneyland Paris on my own when my friends wanted to go back in to Paris city and I wanted to stay at Disney so I did.

My experience is that it starts out great as you can ride, watch, eat, buy whatever you want when you want without having to discuss it with other and take the park at your own pace. I thought it was great but near the end it did start to get lonely but I knew my friends would be coming back soon. The trouble I had was feeling self concious when at a restaurant and sitting alone amongst big groups and on rides like It's a Small World and Pirates since they give you a row to yourself which is awesome but you feel a bit out of place. But overall it was a good experience. :)

Upvote 0

Phonedave

In between my first and second marrage I bought (My kids and I would go every summer). I used to travel to Tampa for business quite often. I got an AP and anytime I was sent to Tampa I would take 2 or three days vacation, extend the return time on my flight and, take a 3 or 4 day vacation at WDW by myself.

The room was on DVC points.
The admission was on my AP.
The flight was paid for by work.
I had (and still have) vacation time to burn.

I am married now, and don't travel nearly as much for work anymore, so I no longer go alone. But for for abour 2 years there, I was taking a trip by myself every other month.

-dave

Upvote 0

rob0519

I consider myself a pretty big WDW veteran (11 times in 21 years, probably not as impressive as some of you on here lol), all with my parents/family. Now that I'm older (26) and working full time, I've had so many urges to just drop everything and make a trip. Being a guy its understandably hard to convince friends my age to pick Disney as their destination for a vacation, and my family is getting older and can't exactly go at the same pace as they used to. Has anybody traveled to WDW alone? Is it awkward/weird? Just wondering if anyone has traveled solo and how their experiences were, interested to find out!
Years ago I went down to pick up my daughter at the end of her CO and spent almost two days alone. It was great. I got to do a lot of things we skip as a family because some people have no interest. I wouldn't mind doing it again sometime, but not as a regular thing.

Upvote 0

Kate Alan

I haven't taken any solo trips yet, but have done solo days separate from my travel group. Like other said, it's nice that the only person you need to worry about is yourself in terms of what you want to do. I wouldn't worry about the dining on your own - you can bring a book if you are self-conscious or you can people watch (which can be entertainment unto itself, especially at Disney!) The majority of people there are too involved in their own trips to focus on other people. You can also strike up conversations with people while waiting in line for rides if you are so inclined...have met some fun people that way.

The one thing I would say is that especially in regards to dining - if there is a table service place you want to eat at, don't let traveling solo deter you. I have a lot of friends that sort of self-ban themselves from restaurants and instead go to food courts/counter service places when they are on their own because they are afraid to be sitting alone at a table. I say go for it!

Upvote 0

natatomic

I'm an only child, so I think my comfort in taking solo trips stems largely from that. When I was 21, I took a road trip by myself from North Carolina to visit Kennywood, Geagua Lake (right before it closed), and Cedar Point. Loooooved it. You can do whatever you want at your own pace. And it was so easy as a single rider to get on rides faster (whether it be the single rider line or just seeing a row of 4 with only 3 people and saying, "Oh, I'm alone, could I squeeze ahead to get on with that group?" And instead of waiting in those front row lines that usually have an extra 30-60 minute wait, I'd wait for the second row, and then when I'd see a group of three board the front, I'd just ask to sit with them. It was perfect!

And yes, Disney alone was fun too! I'd never dissuade someone from taking a solo theme park trip, personally. :)

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I did my first solo trip last Fall and will be going solo again next month. And will be solo until my daughter joins me the night before our cruise this fall. And while she has to head back for work, since I will be retired by that time, I'm going to go over to Uni for HP2 after we get back to Orlando. I don't mind going solo. Yes, it can be more fun with someone else, but sometimes I just want to do/see what I want, when I want. I enjoy wandering around the parks & DTD, going through the stores, people watching and just taking things at my pace.

Upvote 0

Spikerdink

I have done many trips by myself. Other than the dining aspect (I don't like to eat by myself) I had a great time. I came up with different things to do every trip. One trip I decided after I dropped my stuff at my resort I would go to each park and ride one ride and then go to the next park. So I started in HS, and rode Star Tours, saw BatB, then walked to Epcot. Got a snack, rode Soarin' and then took the monorail to MK. Walked the whole park, did a ride or two and then went to AKL, walked around there and then to AK. Did the safari, some other things and then back to my hotel....was a great way to start my trip. And doing it that way, I did not have to worry about someone who wanted to stop for anything, or wanted to go on a certain ride/show....I just went with the flow, did a highlight and then went and called it a night....

Other times when I am alone I go down to the pool later at night and almost every time struck up conversations with other guests. Learned a lot about them and enjoyed the experience.....

But just hate eating alone.....I have one story about that, which I'll save for another day.....

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom