Harry Potter & The Letter Of Intent

kucarachi

Original Poster
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/10/16/6221.aspx

I'm sure its been talked about 745 different times, but is it finally starting to come true? JK Rowling seems to be getting less protective of her hero's now that the end is near. Seems MGM would be the only place to fit any more rides wouldnt it? Magic Kingdom would have to axe some stuff, animal kingdom doesnt make any sense, and Epcot has the space but would england be large enough to sport a new ride or show. And the LOTR stuff just doesnt seem too disney like since they like to cut up elves and have scary demon like creatures biting peoples fingers off.
I think more of a walk through attraction such as hogwarts itself, with a stage show and magic classes for the little witch and wizards. possibly a back to the future type ride where your in the enchanted car with harry and ron.
Or my personal favorite A haunted mansion type ride through the hogwarts castle where the guest are on a tour that gets derailed when hagrid (your tour guide) has to catch a monster thats gotten loose in the castle, along with the help of harry and his friends.
I know its been talked about hundreds of times, but with the final book being less than a year away, maybe its time now to put harry where he would fit in more than anywhere else, the magic kingdom!

Mecha Figment

i would just like to point out this is from Jim Hill. and a letter of intent is not a legal binding contract. she can change her mind any time.

Ralphlaw

I like your ideas. It will be interesting to see what Disney does with this. Personally, I think they could make it work thematically at any of the parks, even Animal Kingdom, what with the Beastly Kingdom rumors that are constantly floating around. A Hogwarts banquet hall, where you could actually sit down and eat, could be a gold mine at AK or Studios. Also. some kind of night time show could be put together, and is most needed at AK to keep the crowds there into the evening. I'm sure Disney could do something that wouldn't scare the animals.

Of course, Studios is most in need of an upgrade at this point, but that may all change by the time a Harry Potter attraction is opened.

It's all fun to think about.

Montu

I'm sure its been talked about 745 different times, but is it finally starting to come true? JK Rowling seems to be getting less protective of her hero's now that the end is near. Seems MGM would be the only place to fit any more rides wouldnt it?

I can *guarentee* you that Disney did not get the right to a Potter ride.

Note that this is not to say one will not be built, only that one most assuredly will not be built in a Disney Theme Park.

Leighbert

Does this Jim Hill person pull his facts out of thin air? There is absolutely no support for the assertion that the next book is going to be published on 7/7/2007. Rowling's website indicates that she isn't even close to finishing the book. That date has been thrown around on Harry Potter websites--really just wishful thinking on the part of Harry Potter fans.

I would take everything set out in this report with a whole container of salt.

Gucci65

Check the JK Rowling website, there you will find that she DENIES signing any letter of intent with Disney.

goofntink

All I have to say is consider the source. Jim Hill seems to pull these rumors out his A$$. Like the rest of us,take his site and what he says with a grain of salt.

Lee

Adventurer
Check the JK Rowling website, there you will find that she DENIES signing any letter of intent with Disney.

Really? Could you link to that...that would be very interesting.

I KNOW that Disney Legal has been pursuing a deal with her for quite a while.
I KNOW that sources of mine told me that word had trickled down that it had been done.

Could possibly be that some misinformation is being spread. :mad:

EDIT: Just found her denial. Curious. I sent it to my people...they ain't happy. Somebody be lyin' in the mouse house, I fear.

flFigment

thank you I looked all over her site and found nothing. Why would she say that a letter has been signed it is better for her to keep it quiet to see what Disney can come up with.
Of the two major theme parks I think she would take Disney in a heartbeat over Universal. While Universal aims at a specific demographic and specific people that fact that Disney aims at all people and is worldwide would be a ahuge asset to her. I have not heard of Universal trying to go global where Disney is global and getting bigger it would be the perfect marriage of imagination and innovation with the right budget in mind.

As far as all the post to where it should go lets drop LMA and then put HP in there. This gets rid of an atraction that needs to be gone and adds the ability to add on to a park that needs the next updating. Imagine going down New york avenue into the train station to hogwarts. This lets the park spread and then gives the Disney studios an oppurtunity to bring in a new area to the park

AEfx

Does this Jim Hill person pull his facts out of thin air?

You catch on quick. ;)

It's just like when he tried to create the story that Hurley on "Lost" was somehow based on Harry Knowles of AICN.com, simply because they are both morbidly overweight fellows with kinky hair. He claimed to have a "for sure" inside source that was telling him this.

Months later, AICN posted a little blurb about it, that it was patently untrue (Harry even called J.J. Abrahms), and who is this weird man making stuff up, LOL.

It's not to say he's never right - throw enough crap on a wall, some of it will stick - but he tends to try to latch on to whatever trend he sees happening, and just usually ends up looking like a fool.

Personally, I'd just laugh and smile if the man wasn't such a liar. How many "preorders" has he offered for things that never materialized, or asked for donoations from people for "newsletters" or whatever that never were sent out, just so he could buy a laptop. Worse are the historical articles that he's actually half decent at writing (but then again, it's hard to believe anything he says) that he starts and NEVER finishes. He's got articles from a half decade ago that he keeps saying "Oh, gosh, I'll get around to it someday!"

So yeah, good for you that you figured out the truth about Hilly boy - most of us around here did long ago. ;)

AEfx

Both Mugglenet and Leaky Cauldron say that "representatives" of Rowling told them there is no truth to the letter of intent rumor.

Who to believe? Jim Hill or anonymous "representative" contacting unofficial fan sites? Sad to say Jim Hill loses.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I had seen the 'denial' on The Leaky Cauldron as well today. I wasn't going to post it though because I really didn't feel like fighting everyone on the credibility of the beloved Jim Hill. :rolleyes:

My only hope is that IF there is a Harry Potter ride made ANYWHERE that it not be a stupid rollercoaster. A dark ride would suit it better in my opinion.

hokielutz

Both Mugglenet and Leaky Cauldron say that "representatives" of Rowling told them there is no truth to the letter of intent rumor.

Who to believe? Jim Hill or anonymous "representative" contacting unofficial fan sites? Sad to say Jim Hill loses.

I agree that Jim Hill hasn't had a good track record on reporting these kinds of revalations with Disney parks.

But here is the thing.... why would J.K. Rowling confirm this rumor - even if it was true? If she did confirm it, then the whole surprise of a new partnership with a giant like Rowling would be ruined. Why confirm a business deal like this before Imagineering even has a chance to put toget a draft proposal for an HP attraction? She would be hounded with questions about her deal with Disney for months on end.

An LOI, if she really did sign one, would give her flexibility to review what Disney proposes, but not be tied down to them if she doesn't like what she is seeing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom