Harmonious: Credit Where Credit is Due

seabasket

Original Poster
Let me be clear. I am not a fan of the "Disney Dance Party" premise for the show and I am glad that Harmonious is getting replaced with a new (and hopefully better) show after EPCOT Forever's interim stint. The barges being gone during the day will be a sight for sore eyes.

But, as Harmonious is in its final days, I want to give it some credit where credit is due.

The music itself is actually really solid. For me, when observed in isolation, Opening Chants, and especially Finale embody the optimistic futurism, mystery, and wonder that EPCOT Center presents/presented at its best. Consider these lyrics from Finale.

Someday
Life will be fairer
Need will be rarer
And greed will not pay

Godspeed
This bright millenium
Let it come
Someday
Someday
One day
Soon!

These lyrics, combined with the bright and mysterious vocal runs and rising orchestral swells surprisingly have powerful emotional resonance for me. I believe it is vastly under-appreciated in its time. (Thank you Alan Menken!)

As for the body of the show, there was an attempt made, with the admittedly cool multilingual-ness of the covers and the culturally representative choirs/artists preforming them. I like this music a lot actually, I just dont like that its in current EPCOT.

Enough has been said about the barges being there during the day, I agree with all of you.

As for the show, the center portal is not as optimal as the Illuminations Globe as its mainly only viewable from the front and back of World Showcase (plus the globe was a flower! how poetic is that!), but the portal is utilized in a few stunning ways such as the Mulan sword fighting bit and the water/lazer projections above. The pyro doesnt really start until about a 1/3 of the way through the show, but there are some truly incredible sequences that use the barges, water, pyro, and lighting capabilities in spectacular manner (here, here, here, and here).

Overall, this is a technically fantastic show, with flashes of genius. Theres evidently many very talented people that I believe did a great job with the task they were given, even if the task has flaw. I believe there is an alternate universe where this show, perhaps debuting with/after the update of EPCOT's thesis attractions to their "storytelling" theme (and barges that get out of the frickin way during the day!) that would have this show making much more sense, and thus becoming more appreciated by park goers and parks fans alike. Its an ambitious show that deserved a run longer than 18 months.

But alas, as of right now, EPCOT has two warring thesis statements in one park and Harmonious is perhaps its latest casualty.

R.I.P. Harmonious. You will be (partially) missed (by some).

Last edited:

gitchard

I could learn to live with the barges if the show was better.

I had two main problems with it. One, to truly appreciate the show, you need to be in the correct viewing area. Couldn't be to the side to get the full impact.

Second was the pacing of the music. Instead of being a constant build up in tempo working to the finale, you would have up beat music followed by slow music back to up beat. It should have start with the slow music and just built up continuously.

Poseidon Quest

I've seen it twice and I can't say that it's impressive in any respect. "Pretty" perhaps, but I couldn't find anything interesting or compelling about it. I think that everyone is giving it too much credit. It's just a bunch of songs slapped together with no meaning behind them outside of the context of their films. I would also consider it poor representation, regardless of what languages the songs are sung in. Why is the Lion King in the show? The best you could do to represent African nations and cultures is animals?

Last edited:

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
I'm newly transplanted from CA and, admittedly, am spoiled by the constantly evolving World of Color show at DCA. (and yeah, I may be a bit Disneyland biased as I like their Fantasmic show better too.) I like to call it The Bellagio on steroids, but even that doesn't do it justice. They have built an amazing tapestry upon which to entertain. Very immersive, bombastic, and tremendously loaded with eye-popping eye-candy. So when I watched Harmonious (only once), I was rather underwhelmed. Any nighttime show created for this "venue" needs to be visible from all angles and that must be taken into account during design and development. Seems to me there is plenty to work with here and I hope, someday, they do it justice.

eliza61nyc

I was driving home today and on the radio was a artist singing a remake of the Temptations hit "my girl " and the problem wasn't that the guy had a bad voice, it was just that the original temptations version was so damn good....this new version is so weak compared to that.

I feel the same way with Harmonious. Illuminations was perfection. It was such a great show. Harmonoiys is such a drastic drop from that

And unfortunately there is no getting around how awful the barges were

James Alucobond

I could learn to live with the barges if the show was better.
Opposite for me. The barges would forever be a blight no matter how good the show, which is what sunk the whole endeavor for me in spite of not disliking the show as much as others.

Also, while I like Someday as a song and really enjoy the moments it creates visually during the finale, I actually think the messaging is off as it lacks the original intended context, which OP perhaps missed since the lyrics are quoted incorrectly. One of the core lines is, "God speed this bright millennium on its way," suggesting that we're currently living in a time of great unfairness and that the subsequent millennium (which they pray will come swiftly) will be something more favorable. When sung in Hunchback stage performances, the audience is from this new, more accepting millennium, so it is a wink and nudge to remind viewers of the oppression and inequalities of the past and to continue to live up to the promise of Quasimodo and Esmeralda's dream. In Harmonious, it's not framed that way, so it suggests we'll need another 977 years of progress before we can reach a point of unity and understanding.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

The guests that think HarmoniUS is a masterpiece..
Esqr2BW_d.webp

The average Disney guest..
6tl6do.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom