HAPPY BIRTHDAY WALT DISNEY

WED99

Today I found out I am getting put into the Advanced Maths class next year. Last year I failed Maths. I thought it was pointless, till I discovered something called WED Imagineering. I researched into it and I knew I had found my dream job. Once I had "If you can dream it, you can do it" posted up onto my wall, I knew I was ready to turn my life around and reach that goal. I wanted to be the next Walt, and still do.

To celebrate the legendary man's birthday, I want to share my favourite story about him with all of you. I found it in the book "Walt Disney: An American Original".

When Snow White finally finished production, just before it premiered, the talk surrounding it was huge! Some couldn't wait, others were calling it "Disney's Folly" meaning their end. To ensure the film was ready, it was screened to a small audience. At the end the audience left their comments about the film. Walt read the comments and most of them were positive, except one. Someone had written anonymously "Stick to Shorts". Walt was hurt horrendously by this. It tortured him until the release and major success of Snow White. From that day on, anytime some would talk negatively about one of Walt's ideas he would point at them and yell "I bet your the one who wrote stick to shorts!"

I hope you enjoyed the story, it is a great reminder he was not only this visionary wizard we all hear about. He was a normal man with a great sense of humour! Happy Birthday Walter!

220px-Walt_disney_portrait.jpg

Walt_young_feature-tgle1u.jpg

wa_2201938b.jpg

Walt_Disney_Snow_white_1937_trailer_screenshot_12.jpg

SBCwalt.jpg

AMWDINT268Alg.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

Walt_Disney_Dreams.jpg

Magenta Panther

Happy belated birthday, Uncle Walt. I never miss watching your life story at the "One Man's Dream" attraction whenever I visit Walt Disney World. You are my chief hero and inspiration, and you are sorely missed.

pumpkin7

When Snow White finally finished production, just before it premiered, the talk surrounding it was huge! Some couldn't wait, others were calling it "Disney's Folly" meaning their end. To ensure the film was ready, it was screened to a small audience. At the end the audience left their comments about the film. Walt read the comments and most of them were positive, except one. Someone had written anonymously "Stick to Shorts". Walt was hurt horrendously by this. It tortured him until the release and major success of Snow White. From that day on, anytime some would talk negatively about one of Walt's ideas he would point at them and yell "I bet your the one who wrote stick to shorts!"

Although Walt never knew this, apparently that 'Stick to Shorts' was posted by Roy Disney. I'm sure I read it in one of my Walt biographies.

Happy belated Birthday Uncle Walt! I did post about it on facebook but not one person commented. Sad times, sad times.

WED99

Although Walt never knew this, apparently that 'Stick to Shorts' was posted by Roy Disney. I'm sure I read it in one of my Walt biographies.

Happy belated Birthday Uncle Walt! I did post about it on facebook but not one person commented. Sad times, sad times.
Really? It would be hilarious if it was him, but the book said it destroyed Walt for days. I'd imagine Roy would of said something.

And about the Facebook post, some people don't understand true genius.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I can not imagine living in a world without Disney. Happy Birthday Walt. We would all be on a Six Flags discussion board right now if it were not for you.

SulleyanBoo

Original Poster
Today I found out I am getting put into the Advanced Maths class next year. Last year I failed Maths. I thought it was pointless, till I discovered something called WED Imagineering. I researched into it and I knew I had found my dream job. Once I had "If you can dream it, you can do it" posted up onto my wall, I knew I was ready to turn my life around and reach that goal. I wanted to be the next Walt, and still do.

To celebrate the legendary man's birthday, I want to share my favourite story about him with all of you. I found it in the book "Walt Disney: An American Original".

I hope you enjoyed the story, it is a great reminder he was not only this visionary wizard we all hear about. He was a normal man with a great sense of humour! Happy Birthday Walter!

220px-Walt_disney_portrait.jpg

Walt_young_feature-tgle1u.jpg

wa_2201938b.jpg

Walt_Disney_Snow_white_1937_trailer_screenshot_12.jpg

SBCwalt.jpg

AMWDINT268Alg.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

Walt_Disney_Dreams.jpg
awesome! Thanks SO much for sharing!:D

pumpkin7

Really? It would be hilarious if it was him, but the book said it destroyed Walt for days. I'd imagine Roy would of said something.

And about the Facebook post, some people don't understand true genius.

Well I've just found the segment I thought had said Roy put it. It's from Bob Thomas' book, Walt Disney - An American Original. Seems I was wrong. It just says:

'.... Only one negative note appeared. Among the written responses to a showing of partly finished film was an anonymous "Stick to Shorts." Walt was upset for days. Years afterward whenever an employee responded negatively to a Disney idea, he pointed a finger and exclaimed: "I'll bet you're the guy who wrote "Stick to Shorts'!"

Perhaps I read it wrong or didn't read it at all. If I ever come across it again, I'll be sure to let you know!

WED99

Well I've just found the segment I thought had said Roy put it. It's from Bob Thomas' book, Walt Disney - An American Original. Seems I was wrong. It just says:

'.... Only one negative note appeared. Among the written responses to a showing of partly finished film was an anonymous "Stick to Shorts." Walt was upset for days. Years afterward whenever an employee responded negatively to a Disney idea, he pointed a finger and exclaimed: "I'll bet you're the guy who wrote "Stick to Shorts'!"

Perhaps I read it wrong or didn't read it at all. If I ever come across it again, I'll be sure to let you know!
Yes that's the book I got it from, excellent book! Please do let me know if you hear anything because the book never said it wasn't Roy ;)

pumpkin7

Yes that's the book I got it from, excellent book! Please do let me know if you hear anything because the book never said it wasn't Roy ;)

I've found it!
It's in a book called 'How To Be Like Walt: Capturing the Magic Every Day of your Life' by Pat Williams. Granted, this guy has done a lot of 'How To Be Like' books including Jesus, Coach Wooden and Women of Influence so I don't know how much of a Disney nut he is, but it's got a pretty good foreward by Art Linkletter who says 'Of all the books written about Walt Disney, this may be the most important.'

Anyway, it's says:

Page 115 said:
At one story conference, the animators, story artists, and other staffers filled out comment cards, detailing their ideas and suggestions about the story. The majority of comments were positive and enthusiastic - but one card read "Walt, stick to shorts!"
Walt was stunned. Someone in his studio was opposed to Snow White! Fuming, Walt invited the anonymous critic to meet him in his office, but no one stepped forward. The identity of the unknown critic became a matter of legend. Whenever Walt got irritated with one of his artists, he'd point an accusing finger and say, "You're the one who told me to stick to shorts!"
Though Walt never learned who wrote that card, a handful of artists knew the identity of Walt's tormentor - and they delighted in keeping the secret.
It was Walt's own brother, Roy.

So, I don't know how reliable the source is but at least I know I wasn't completely making it up!

WED99

hahahahhaha! So glad you found that, Roy's a funny guy :D I can't believe American Original skipped that part :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom