Happy Birthday CoP!

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
Happy Birthday Carousel of Progress! You're 42 years old today! On April 22, 1964...CoP, IASW (at disneyland), ford magic skyway, and great moments with mr. lincoln welcomed the first guests on opening day of the new york world's fair! :wave:

BryanandPatrizi

Also one of my favorites. I was so sad when they initially closed it, but have "been in luck" every year since with their generous "seasonal opening" schedule since.

I always thought that it would be pretty cool to have 2 carousels eventually. They skip such a large segment of time in the current one to keep the ending up to date (I've heard it was refurbed some time ago to accomplish this).

col

one of the first rides i go on in MK.

for me its just got that whole american vibe.

i was a little ed when watching it coz to me it felt and looked as if an era was missing.

i really do think it could do with a refurb!! but its still one of my faves though!!:)

RonAnnArbor

Actually, it hasn't been seasonal for the last year and a half it has been open every day...still, Happy Birthday to a true Disney Classic! (Even if they do have to stop it all the time because some of today's 7 year olds can't sit still for 15 minutes anymore)...I recall seeing it at the NYWF in 64 as a 5 year old and being mesmerized by it...I don't recall making my parents take me on it again (even though they recall the wait to be like two hours), but they sure do recall that story at every party where Disney comes up...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
BryanandPatrizi said:
...I always thought that it would be pretty cool to have 2 carousels eventually. They skip such a large segment of time in the current one to keep the ending up to date (I've heard it was refurbed some time ago to accomplish this).

I like that - I'm picturing:
Boomboxes
75 lb. microwave ovens
Cell phones the size of carry-on luggage
PCs that take up the whole room

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
It wasn't that uncommon for the CoP to have wait times exceeding an hour and a half. By the 1965 season, GE used unused land next to its pavilion for a massive queue line covered in a canopy so guests could get out of the hot son.:cool:

RonAnnArbor

I wonder if my parents remember what kind of weather we had...by the way, I lived in NYC for 35 years...I don't recall there EVER being hot sun...

HoW

RonAnnArbor said:
Actually, it hasn't been seasonal for the last year and a half it has been open every day...still, Happy Birthday to a true Disney Classic! (Even if they do have to stop it all the time because some of today's 7 year olds can't sit still for 15 minutes anymore)...I recall seeing it at the NYWF in 64 as a 5 year old and being mesmerized by it...I don't recall making my parents take me on it again (even though they recall the wait to be like two hours), but they sure do recall that story at every party where Disney comes up...

I only wish I could have been there for that, sadly I was only a glimmer in my father's eye at that time. Ah well, to one of the true classic, Happy Birthday! May you have many, many more!

Blackie Pueblo

I can't believe I missed the birthday! Oops! Happy Belated B-day to a classic! My wife and I love this animatronic show. Not only is it a nice relaxing show, but it's so enjoyable watching how we've progressed. We always laugh when he talks about how many hours it takes to do the wash or cook a turkey... and they are so happy about it.

I always thought the ending bit should be way forward. Maybe take the idea from the old horizons ride and Have their home be in space. Maybe have Grandpa and the girl sitting on the wall (no gravity see) and in the back ground you could see the Earth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.newlineagefilms.com

LaughingGravy

My absolute favorite. I've even indoctrinated our oldest. On her first trip to Disney in October of '05, the first time she went on it, she was singing the song during the first chorus with me in the front row, center. DW couldn't stop laughing.

Shep's voice dosn't sync up as well as Rex Allen's , but I'm a huge Jean Shepherd fan, so it's quite alright.

JEDIsney

Happy Birthday, Carousel of Progress! I love this ride, and always have ever since I was little. I never get sick of it, and look foward to seeing it on every trip. Plus, I love getting "There's A Great Big, Beautiful Tomorrow" and "Now Is The Time" stuck in my head.

I hope you have a great big, beautiful tomorrow!

BryanandPatrizi

I like that - I'm picturing:
Boomboxes
75 lb. microwave ovens
Cell phones the size of carry-on luggage
PCs that take up the whole room

That would be very cool! I think that all of those things are really great icons of their times. Maybe also include Atari and early cable tv.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom