Halloween merch out at World of Disney already.

Gringrinngghost

I don't know whats worse, A. Halloween Merchandise is already out or B. You did not finish your post with Silver Shamrock

I'm ready for Halloween!! I just am still at a loss as what to be for the MNSSHP??
I'm ready for Christmas already. I want come quickly!

Disvillain63

"back to school" time just finished here in South Dakota...I can assume I will find Halloween candy at the grocery stores in the next few days if it's not out already...
Back-to-School is pretty much over in Georgia too...but instead of Halloween Candy displays, I saw Football Season Candy displays...seems Hershey's is really promoting NFL football this year.

Thessair

A couple of the local stores have some Halloween candy out as well as some Halloween themed paper goods (plates, tissues, etc). Costco, on the other hand, has Christmas wrapping paper and ornaments out with nary a Halloween item in sight.

luv

A couple of the local stores have some Halloween candy out as well as some Halloween themed paper goods (plates, tissues, etc). Costco, on the other hand, has Christmas wrapping paper and ornaments out with nary a Halloween item in sight.
Christmas?! Egads!

alphac2005

If it did not sell, it would not be there. This is part of letting the market decide. Every year everyone complains that the stores start holidays too soon, yet the demand forces stores to start earlier and earlier.

You cannot seriously blame stores for fulfilling a public desire, can you?

Not to bore here, but earlier holiday promotions aren't occurring for quite that reason and I have a decade and a half of owning an international retail company, so I hope I have some credibility here. The retail industry is using the major retail holidays (Valentine's Day, Halloween, Christmas) as a crutch to get foot traffic. It isn't because there is such a demand to start earlier, rather they get people thinking while they're in the shop or see advertising that they might as well pick up stuff now because if the products are out this early, then the odds are that they'll run out and earlier than ever and you'll be out of luck when you need something close to the date.

Holidays segue to into consumers feeling the need or desire to spend more money and the earlier that the retail industry can get people into doing so, the better. Retail is trying to stretch these periods back out because what have become institutions here in the States like "Black Friday" have done serious harm to retailers where 80% make the bulk of the full year profit in the Christmas holiday season. Our company started seeing a surge of business for holiday presents in the second week of September, but for the last several years as "Black Friday" has gone nuts, the fundamentals have completely changed and that predates the economic meltdown. (The economic meltdown is the second component of change here.) Retail's hot season runs for six weeks, if you're lucky today, whereas we were at upwards of ten weeks of major surges before the changes.

That's a nutshell of why we see holiday after holiday at retail stores earlier and earlier. Whenever the time comes that we have a more balanced economic recovery across the board, the belief in the industry is that people will start to shop earlier than the now very compressed shopping season. The retailers are just trying to eek out whatever extra business before that period begins trying to get people back into the cycle of shopping earlier rather than later. Fundamental patterns have changed that basically require the industry to try to heavily advertise and promote the holidays earlier to the consumer to shop for the stuff earlier trying to get those holiday shopping seasons extended back out to their natural time, which occurred, but never had to be promoted so early on because it was just something that many shoppers naturally did.

Goofnut1980

When does the crane go up?

Also, did anyone see last years lights? Does anyone agree that the lighting was different colors in places on the castle.... It was not a uniform white color... Some was dim and some brighter, some bright white and some more yellowed... Does anyone agree?

GiveMeTheMusic

It makes perfect sense for Disney to sell holiday merch early or year-round (as they do with Xmas stuff). Disney guests often visit once per year/lifetime/whatever - why not let them buy holiday things they won't be able to come back and get in October or December? It's an easy revenue decision for the company, and guests are happy to have the option.

cslafferty

It always seems like as the back to school things sell out and those shelves empty, they start filling them with Halloween stuff. I've already seen some stuff in the stores up here in Michigan. What I HATE is them showing Christmas movies ALL YEAR LONG!! HBO, Showtime, Cinemax all do it, although I must say this year didn't seem quite as bad as last. They were running Elf and Christmas with the Kranks of and on all summer! There should be a law against showing any Christmas shows/movies before Thanksgiving!!

micknminnie

I wish I was there. We used to go the first week of September. It was great seeing all of the Halloween decorations. I would love to get back there to do the Halloween party again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom