Halloween costumes at California Grill

syoungkin39

Original Poster
My girlfriend and I are going to WDW in October and have reservations at California Grill prior to attending MNSSHP. How out of place would we be wearing our costumes at California Grill? Because we're staying at Art of Animation, it would take too long to head back and change prior to the party but, on the other hand, we don't want to overly stick out walking in there for dinner.

Cmdr_Crimson

I found this on another site that mentions the dress code on the reservation section for California grill..But, you can always contact them and ask..

Dress Code
At this signature dining experience, Guests are asked to adhere to the dress code.

Men may wear khakis, slacks, jeans or dress shorts and collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.

Women may wear Capri pants, skirts, dresses, jeans or dress shorts.

Not permitted are tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics

Last edited:

GrumpySue

Me and my husband dined at California Grill with my sister-in-law and her husband and we were all dressed as pirates for the MNSSHP. It is kind of expected there -no big deal. Have fun and don't feel funny at all.

syoungkin39

Original Poster
Cool. My girlfriend hasn't decided what she'll be dressed as but I'm going to be dressed either as Darth Vader (for no other reason than just to freak out little kids while sitting on the bus <g>) or one of the Seven Dwarves. Either way, I was thinking they would waive strict rules on the dress code of Halloween nights due to the inconvenience of having to dress elsewhere. I just wanted to make sure before we were turned away at the door.

On the other hand, I shouldn't be too concerned about other patron's reactions. Last year, for Halloween, I went dressed as Death (complete with pale face and scythe) and my gf and I went to Eat N Park prior to going to a Halloween party. As you could imagine, other diners there were a tad freaked out when they saw Death dining at a table. It was almost like the opening credits for the 90s series "Dead Like Me" <g>

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I would say it is an extremely bad idea to go to a high end restaurant in costume. It does not follow the guidelines and it is not appropriate for a restaurant where other guests are making an effort to create an upscale atmosphere.

I also think you would feel extremely out of place. There are guests there spending $1000+ on the evening, and will be dressed up.

Just my opinion, but if I were working the restaurant I would decline anyone in costume entry, and I hope Disney would.

WWWD

I would call and ask, maybe the restaurant takes on a different "vibe" during MNSSHP. I have never been there during a MNSSHP night. During the rest of the year I have seen some princesses and a couple pirates dining there, of course, they were about 6 years old. :)

Sweet Melissa

I've been to California Grill a couple times on Halloween, and several times on MNSSHP nights, and I've never seen anyone in costume there. I know I would feel really awkward and out of place if I showed up in costume.

debpeduz

Hang on.....
You're comparing California Grill to Eat n Park? These two shouldn't even be in the same thread.

My hope is that you will perhaps be able to switch your reservation for California Grill to another night. This way, you can go to the park in your costume, have fun and not worry because you will be out of place. On a different night, attend the California Grill and enjoy it for its upscale atmosphere, food and service.

GrumpySue

As long as your costume is in good taste, I see no problem. How is your being in costume affecting other diners. People were cheering us and seemed impressed with our costumes, we put a lot of effort into it. I have seen many people in costume there during the MNSSHP and it does not bother me one bit. If you are at all worried, call the restaurant, but I doubt there will be a problem.

lebeau

I am not one to worry much about appearances. But I would feel horribly out of place wearing a Halloween costume at Cali Grill. Definitely not recommended. I would either schedule dinner at a casual dining restaurant or make arrangements to change after dinner.

There is no guarantee Disney would refuse you. But there is also no guarantee they will admit you. Do you really want to gamble with that?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
As long as your costume is in good taste, I see no problem. How is your being in costume affecting other diners. People were cheering us and seemed impressed with our costumes, we put a lot of effort into it. I have seen many people in costume there during the MNSSHP and it does not bother me one bit. If you are at all worried, call the restaurant, but I doubt there will be a problem.
It affects others because most diners have selected the California Grill to be in an elegant upscale atmosphere. The decor, food, and other guests all play a part in this.

WDWFan_Boston

It may not be a problem for you, but I think this thread alone proves that it would be for many others. For us, going to Cali Grill is a rare opportunity. I think that going in costume would be a poor choice. It's obvious that that the OP has empathy for others feelings or he wouldn't have solicited folks advice. If I were in his shoes, I would say, "Even though I'm probably allowed to wear a costume, it's best not to."

How could someone who's name is GRUMPY Sue not see how this could make others grumpy? ;)

Phonedave

My vote.

Don't do it.

It is Disney, and Disney will bend the dress code rules and not tell people that they are dressed inappropriately. That does not mean you should do it. People go to CG expecting a certain atmosphere. Going in costume and ruining that atmosphere is selfish.

-dave

HouCuseChickie

Another vote for no. I think part of the experience of a signature meal is dressing up and being around others who have done the same. Even princess dresses for kids is a no-no to me at a signature meal...well, unless you're at CRT.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I would just put your costumes in a bag then change after dinner.
More and more people are showing up to Signature restaurants in park clothes and you often read that other guest who went out of their way to stick to the dress code feel offended. I have heard stories of people being turned away for not dressing appropriately (which is rare)
So I would imagine showing up in costume would bother other guest as well.

It doesn't matter to me much because your clothes don't make the food taste better or worst but on my recent trip to Yachtsman steakhouse a large group of 10 people (adults & 2 teens ) were dressed in park/lounge clothing (the two teens had on pj bottoms) and I think they instantly felt out of place because they exited the restaurant minutes after sitting down and never returned.
I would have a hard time enjoying a meal if I felt uncomfortable.

slappy magoo

I would say it is an extremely bad idea to go to a high end restaurant in costume. It does not follow the guidelines and it is not appropriate for a restaurant where other guests are making an effort to create an upscale atmosphere.

I also think you would feel extremely out of place. There are guests there spending $1000+ on the evening, and will be dressed up.

Just my opinion, but if I were working the restaurant I would decline anyone in costume entry, and I hope Disney would.
Hey, who are you to judge people on this forum?

OH...riiiiight...uh...never mind, then.

Seriously, for the OP, I'd think a little less about how out of place YOU'D feel and maybe about how the other patrons would feel. For the money people drop to dine there, in part because of the scenery and ambiance, it could be considered rude to show up in a way designed to draw attention to you.

Also, depending on the size and awkwardness of the costume, it might be awkward seating you and navigating around you.

And I'll say this - were I dining in California Grill and you showed up in a costume that scared my kids, I'd be pretty vocal about you either moving out of our sightline or changing into civilian clothes.

Either way, for crying out loud, they HAVE PUBLIC BATHROOMS IN THE HOTEL. Wear something a little nicer, then when you're done eating, duck in and change. That would be the most considerate thing to do.

I know others have aid they've seen people dining in costume before, and I'm sure the staff at CG do their best to accommodate. At least the people dressed as pirates weren't acting like pirates.

And here's some food for thought (expensive, since it's Cali Grill) - Darth Vader is now a Disney property. WDW will routinely ask people to remove costumes if a: they look too much like the real thing and b: they cover the face. A Darth Vader costume so scary that it could scare children on the bus (yet somehow miraculously not scare children in a restaurant) would probably look pretty authentic AND obscure your face. So it seems like dressing like a Swarf would be your better bet, and it'd hav to be so drastically different from an actual officlal costume, it probably won't be more than a hat and a pull-off beard and comical clothes. So pick a thinner costume, put nice pants and a nice shirt over it, look respectable for dinner, take it off and stow it in a bag after dinner, rent a locker to throw it in for the night, and everyone's happy.

JillC LI

Why don't you bring the costumes to dinner in a bag, change after you eat, and put your dining clothes in a locker at the MK during the Halloween party? We arrived at MK at 4pm for MNSSHP, put our costumes in a locker, and at 6:45pm we changed into our costumes (face makeup and all) before the party began, and left our street clothes in the locker. It was quite convenient.

GrumpySue

Sorry to ruffle so many feathers, I was just stating the response we had when we did it. And I know we did call the restaurant before we went and were told it was common during MNSSHP. Again, sorry....

nikkie876

Kind of off topic, but please don't try and purposely scare kids, especially at Mickey's NOT so scary Halloween Party. If people want to be scared they can go to Universal, but this is a place for adults and kids to enjoy the fun of Halloween without all the gore and fear.
My daughter gets scared very easy and if someone would purposely try to scare her that would make our lives miserable for the next couple weeks. Nightmares, fear of being alone in a room, etc. etc. We do as much as we can to avoid those situations. Now she has been to MNSSHP twice and did great both times. (We did avoid Haunted Mansion as well as the Headless Horseman)

slappy magoo

Sorry to ruffle so many feathers, I was just stating the response we had when we did it. And I know we did call the restaurant before we went and were told it was common during MNSSHP. Again, sorry....
It's great that you called, it shows forethought. Some people aren't so good with thought, let alone forethought. Lots of people wouldn't call ahead and wear a far more inappropriate costume, be it scary (Grim Reaper, Jason Voorhees, Darth Vader) or suggestive (sexy nurse, sexy cop, sexy sex worker), and then suggest if you have a problem with what they're doing, it's your problem, not theirs.

If you were seated next to us in your pirate garb, I probably wouldn't be thrilled with it, mainly because my kids would probably be too focused on you to actually eat their dinners, but I'd deal with it, to each his own, I'm sure I do plenty of things inpublic others find inappropriate if not obnoxious.

But if you decided to "act out" your roles because it's Halloween and you think you have to, otherwise people might not know you're supposed to be a pirate and that'd be just awful, I'd probably ask you to tone it down a skosch. And if you did what too many people unfortunately do, which is use Halloween as an excuse to get s***faced because hey, it's not REALLY me that's getting s***faced because I'm pretending to be a pirate today so the rules by which most people live their lives don't apply to me today WHEEEEE? I'd probably be a little more blunt in my STFUppitude.

But it sounds like you're not that kind of person so it's all moot. But I'd feel the same way with anyone else who might be a distraction to the nice meal I'm willing to pay a lot of money to enjoy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom