Hall of Presidents Appreciation Thread

mrtoad

Expo_Seeker40 said:
Yes Walt Disney World did infact have Flight to the Moon at the lunar theater aka mars theater aka X-Tech theater aka Stich!

Flight to the Moon was a quickie to solve the gap in the very small and hardly developed tomorrowland 1971. It didn't open on October 1st, 1971, BUT did make the opening of Chirstmas Season 1971. It lasted until 1975 when it was replaced by Mission to Mars.

Disneyland California had all three versions in their course of history for tomorrowland. Rocket to the Moon, Flight to the Moon, and Mission to Mars.

Walt Disney World had the final to versions, that being Flight to the Moon, and Mission to Mars. Mission to Mars ran from 1975/or 1976-1994

OK, at least I am not crazy. I thought it was there. Thanks.

mrtoad

hakunamatata said:
I can remember thinking as a child, How does this thing take off and no one outside can see it taking off?.......Mission to Mars was a great ride, expecially when the seat bottoms moved.....

The last time I did Mission to Mars was in 1993 on my honeymoon. The theatre was half empty but that could have been because of the time of year. But sadly my seat did not work. The palce was way outdated and needed TLC. It was good they changed it.

*EDIT* I was not meaning to say I did not like the attraction, just that at the end, it was time for it to be replaced.

JoeyJoe

I am surprised at how infrequent vistors to this attraction that most people on these boards are. I always visit HOP. Even the lobby is beautiful. There is only so many times you can ride the Magic Kingdom mountains (in a day, that is). My parents have always taken me as a child, and I still go to this day on my own. Liberty Square is my favorite land!! It is a real symbol of Disney, which is very American. Anyone remember the Spirit of America parade?? It started with the Constitution float?

mrtoad

I believe the parade you are refering to was America on Parade but could be wrong. I love Liberty Square as well. It is very nicely done.

tigger248

Liberty square is among my favorite lands. I really like the architecture and the area music loop. I also really like HoP. I can't wait to see it in November, mainly because I missed it in July (my friend wasn't interested...). On my cp, I worked in Liberty Square for a week and spent a great deal of time in Heritage House. It amazed me how many people there were that were amazed by this attraction. People from everywhere would exit and tell me how much they had enjoyed it. Many would ask if they were real actors and I would explain about animatronics. It's awesome how these animatronics move. I love how each one individually makes his own movements like whispering to the guy next to him, crossing his legs, turning his head, etc. It's fascinating to watch them! I also heard once that some of them are wearing actual suits from the president himself that they portray. That some of them or their wives or museums donated suits to wear. If this is true, then I think that is awesome as well and it truly adds magic to this attraction.

mrtoad

tigger248 said:
Liberty square is among my favorite lands. I really like the architecture and the area music loop. I also really like HoP. I can't wait to see it in November, mainly because I missed it in July (my friend wasn't interested...). On my cp, I worked in Liberty Square for a week and spent a great deal of time in Heritage House. It amazed me how many people there were that were amazed by this attraction. People from everywhere would exit and tell me how much they had enjoyed it. Many would ask if they were real actors and I would explain about animatronics. It's awesome how these animatronics move. I love how each one individually makes his own movements like whispering to the guy next to him, crossing his legs, turning his head, etc. It's fascinating to watch them! I also heard once that some of them are wearing actual suits from the president himself that they portray. That some of them or their wives or museums donated suits to wear. If this is true, then I think that is awesome as well and it truly adds magic to this attraction.

I am not sure if that is true about the suits but would not be surprised at all if it is. I know know that there is real antique mining equipment at BTMR (about 1/4 million if I remember correctly at the time of purchase). Also the HM has several antiques purchased from real haunted places. One of the organs is from the Queen Mary oceanliner which is believed to be haunted. Pretty neat stuff.

EpcotPhotoSchmo

hakunamatata said:
Now I believe that they update every year and the current president speaks.

Well, every four (or eight) years, right? :p

I was a CP during the fall of 2001. They took HoP off-line shortly after my August arrival to add Bush's current speech. During my first week there (I arrived 8/7/01) Clinton was still speaking. I remember wondering what on Earth was taking so long to update the attraction!

Then by the end of August it was down for rehab. Of course, the terrorist attacks occurred during this time. When the attraction reopened in October 2001, I was suprised at how timely Bush's remarks seemed. I don't think he ever actually mentions the terrorist threat, but he does talk about facing bold new challenges, and I saw his speech in that light.

My assumption has always been that the remarks were recorded before the rehab began, and therefore before 9/11. Does anyone know for sure when they were recorded?

Again, I always think it's kind of eerie that the remarks were made as general as possible but still seemed to apply all the more in the post-9/11 world.

stitchlvr

My son, who was 6 a the time, and I had a special day together at MK this past summer, while daddy took our daughters to IoA. Since my son didn't like the faster rides like the mountains etc, we had a full day of his kind of rides and shows. We had never been to HoP before, and since we had already seen the afternoon parade, we decided to skip inside during the heat of the afternoon for a little rest from the heat. We actually enjoyed the show immensely, which was sort of a surprise to me. I was sort of expecting it to be a quick little nap time, for both of us. I also left feeling very patriotic, and moved almost to tears at points, given the happenings in our world in recent years. It was also just a few days after Ronald Reagan's death, which was especially moving for me.

It was also on this special day that my son and I experienced CoP for the first time, which was also very special for us. It was something that I was not expecting to really enjoy (no offense Grizz) but ended up loving! My son and I sometimes find ourselves humming Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow at random points. CoP was one of my son's favorites of all of WDW. :sohappy:

matrtj

Speaking as a Brit, I have to say we have nothing like HoP in this country (that I know of), which is a great shame. The detail in the whole building was just right, and the view into American history was better than anything I've seen before.

But the best bit had to be hearing everyone chearing and clapping at the end - you certainly love your country! Good for you :cool:

It's a shame some people think it's just a place to get out of the heat or rain. I would have thought 'they' would have marketed it a little betterthan that.

M

waltdisny

I love the HoP. The AA's utterly captivate my attention. I love watching the subtle touches, like the President's whispering to each other. This is one of Disney's finest achievements. Not bold, or flashy, just elegant.:sohappy:

An often overlooked part of this attraction is the lobby, the symbology of the Presidency and the Republic are everywhere. The art work is very fine as well (Although I prefer the paintings in the American Adventure's lobby on the whole). It's well worth the time to check them out.

I wonder, what do our oversea's friends make of the HoP, and the American Adventure?

Personally, I've always felt the American Adventure was such a powerful show that it would make Osama want to apply for a green card.:D

ogryn

Not one of my favourites. Doesn't interest me that much (although I do respect the techincal aspect of the show).

oh, sorry, this is the appriciation thread! :zipit: :p

rosebud's mom

I'm a history buff, as was my father. I grew up visiting historic forts and battlefields every summer with him. This was always one of his favorite attractions, and he instilled in me that same appreciation. I am amazed that anyone can sit through it and NOT feel a swell of patriotism. Unfortunately, the ability to find such a show boring or laughable is one of the freedoms that make this country free.

surfsupdon

The Hall of Presidents is one of those attractions that we never do every trip, yet when we do, we regret missing it so many times.

I love America's history and am proud to be a citizen of this great Nation. I get very patriotic inside, and really enjoy the stirring show.

It does, too, creep me out. The Presidents are so life-like and and fluid. I know they are dead, yet when I see them I picture that they are alive, and it's crazy.

The above two reasons contribute to me thoroughly enjoying the attraction.

Gucci65

I love HoP!!

I drag my daughter in there every year telling her that it's part of her patriotic duty!! :lol: Maybe in time, she will not view it as a boring show, but as educational entertainment.

bork

This is one of our can't miss attractions every time we go to the MK. Not as moving as the American Adventure, but it is a great show. It's sad that so many people skip it without even trying it.

I didn't care for the Maya Angelou narration during the Clinton years, so I'm glad that was changed. The new narration is much better.

BTW, anyone think that Disney is hoping Bush will win so they don't have to update HoP for another 4 years?

zone15int

EpcotPhotoSchmo said:
(1)I was a CP during the fall of 2001. They took HoP off-line shortly after my August arrival to add Bush's current speech. During my first week there (I arrived 8/7/01) Clinton was still speaking. I remember wondering what on Earth was taking so long to update the attraction!

(2) My assumption has always been that the remarks were recorded before the rehab began, and therefore before 9/11. Does anyone know for sure when they were recorded?
(1)I saw the HOP in a rare transitional version where they moved clinton's aa into his current spot with dubya as pres. and it still had the maya angelou intro and pres roll call. but it just had lincoln's speech and bubba didnt utter a word. I remember being dissapointed because it was like a 15 min intro to a 5 min show (meaning 15 min maya and 5 min rolecall and lincoln speech)

(2)i dont know for sure but disney likes to put things "in the can" early most of the time. i mean the president of the USA is a busy man. he has more imporant stuff to do :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom