Half a day early. What to do?

heychadwick

Hi All,

My family will spend 4 hours driving to stay with my parents just north of Savannah, GA. The next day we drive the last 4 hours to Orlando. We will come in some time after noon. We don't have park tickets for that day and don't want to pay for park tickets for that day. We are paying to stay at our hotel for a day early. Our hotel is the Caribbean Resort.

What should we do for that half day there? At first, we thought about just swimming at the resort and getting to bed early. Maybe go to Downtown Disney if we get bored. Is that the best thing to do? The pictures of the swimming pool there are really cool. I can see everyone wanting to burn off some energy after some driving. Also, I expect that we won't spend much time at the hotel after we hit the parks. We have 5 days of park hopping to do. I don't think we will go to the pool much.

Is there something else to do? My daughter is 15 and my son is 9. I don't want to spend a lot of cash. So, the idea of Downtown Disney doesn't sound very interesting. It's just a bunch of shops. Oh, there are the other places that we can pay a good amount to go to, but once again, I don't want to spend a bunch of cash to do something.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I know you said you don't want to spend a bunch of cash, but you do have to eat so you could always book a meal at an interesting resort to visit or do one of the dinner shows. AKL is fun to visit and all three restaurants have good food. Although I only briefly walked thru WL on my last visit, it seemed like another interesting resort to visit. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Redhawk

I think you've got the right idea. Check in, get settled with unpacking and setting up, then hit the pool or beach area, explore the resort, have a meal, go over plans for visiting the parks.

If it seems the kids need to be taken out somewhere that evening, you could go to one of the other Disney resorts and explore it, for example, the Animal Kingdom Lodge which has a walking trail where you can see some of the animals.

Or go walk around the Boardwalk area, where you could have ice cream for dessert and then see some of the Epcot fireworks from the bridge there, the view is good. They're over by 9:20 or so and after that everyone should be ready to wind down and rest for the next day. Not sure what the parking situation is, perhaps go to the Dolphin and tell them you're going to the ice cream shop there on the lower level, and that might count as "dining" for their free parking purposes (if they do that, not sure as we don't go by car). From there it's a nice easy walk to the rest of the Boardwalk area.

Upvote 0

heychadwick

Original Poster
For food, we were just going to do the food court at the hotel. If we went to one of the full sit downs, we are talking $40 a plate. I'm fine with waiting a day.

Fireworks sounds cool, but 9:20 is late for the 9 yr old, especially if we are just kicking off a week of Disney!

The more I think about it, it might just be best to chill at the hotel.

Upvote 0

SeanWM48

IMO walking around downtown without actually buying stuff is still a heck of an experience. take the kids to T-Rex, the place is crazy and they'll love it and it isn't expensive if you make the right picks on the menu. they'll love checking out the lego store which has interactive stuff like building/racing lego cars. you can do some other semi-cheap thrill stuff like the hot air balloon which i believe isn't that pricey. there are bands playing and a stage where kids can dance too.

pool for a couple hours + a downtown walk-through makes for a fun first day and doesn't have to be expensive if done right

Upvote 0

Swissmiss

Premium Member
You can still go visit other resorts without eating there (and there would be nothing stopping you from eating in the food court of one of the other resorts either). Since you aren't going to a park, it is a great day to resort hop as you won't be rushed.

Upvote 0

heychadwick

Original Poster
IMO walking around downtown without actually buying stuff is still a heck of an experience. take the kids to T-Rex, the place is crazy and they'll love it and it isn't expensive if you make the right picks on the menu. they'll love checking out the lego store which has interactive stuff like building/racing lego cars. you can do some other semi-cheap thrill stuff like the hot air balloon which i believe isn't that pricey.

It might be worth checking out. I will need to order an electric scooter for my trip to Disney due to a busted up ankle. I'll probably need to order it for that day early.

You can still go visit other resorts without eating there (and there would be nothing stopping you from eating in the food court of one of the other resorts either). Since you aren't going to a park, it is a great day to resort hop as you won't be rushed.

Well.....what is there to do at the other resorts? What's exciting to see?

Hidden Micky hunt at your resort!

I do like that idea! I have a book on Hidden Mickeys from about 6 years ago.

Upvote 0

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I know the AKL the best as I have stayed there so in addition to seeing the animals at the AKL (there are lots of viewing areas), it also hosts one of the largest African art collections on display outside the African continent. If other resorts have a theme that interests you or a family member, it is fun just to see how it is carried out. And the hidden mickey hunt @Minthorne suggested is a great idea - you can make it into a family competition to see who finds the most.

Upvote 0

tlev

There is plenty to do there if you don't want to spend extra money or be out too late. The pool is great. There is plenty to see at the resort. Walk around, explore, eat at the quick service restaurant, and go to bed early. Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

Redhawk

I think you'll find once you get there that your resort area is all you need for that half day. Especially since it will all be new and exciting.

Upvote 0

smk

I think it would be a good idea to check out a scooter rental from off site, much cheaper. Check out apple scooters. That is IF you think you are going to need one. WDW rents for like 50 a day and you have to leave it in the park you rent in. If you have one delivered to your resort you take it with you to wherever you go, making it much easier on a sore foot. I know form experience that going with someone who is in pain and trying to be brave for the family does not make a good time for all. If my family member is in pain, so am I, basically.

When we arrive early our plans are always staying around the resort. The one time, last year, I talked my husband into go to DTD, it was packed, we were hungry, tired from traveling and I feel like it was a waste of time! I regretted the time I spent hunting down food, ended up just getting back to the resort in time to grab a pizza. Started out vacation off on the wrong foot. IF I had to do it again I would not have done anything other than just sitting by the pool, eating a QS meal at our resort. Whatever you decide have fun!

Upvote 0

heychadwick

Original Poster
I think it would be a good idea to check out a scooter rental from off site, much cheaper. Check out apple scooters. That is IF you think you are going to need one. WDW rents for like 50 a day and you have to leave it in the park you rent in. If you have one delivered to your resort you take it with you to wherever you go, making it much easier on a sore foot. I know form experience that going with someone who is in pain and trying to be brave for the family does not make a good time for all. If my family member is in pain, so am I, basically.

Yep. I went to the foot doc to see. He tells me that I just need to get the scooter. I've researched it all and started a post on it. There are 5 companies and they all have comparative prices. Everyone seems to talk about Apple, though. Not sure why they get everyone's attention. Maybe the name? I'm a (relatively) young guy and felt stupid for the scooter, but the doc is right. I will not be able to walk for 5 days. Now that I've accepted it, my 15 yr old daughter will have to get used to being seen next to it with me. :)

OK....so I'll arrange for the scooter to be there that half a day early. We might go out. You never know.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

What does your family want to do? Maybe your wife and daughter would like to go walk around Downtown Disney. You do not have to buy everything. For some girls going to the store is a fun activity even if you do not buy anything, it is fun to look. I am guessing your boy would just be happy swimming. Talk to the family and find out what they want to do. A Dad's job is keep his family happy and pay the bills. :joyfull:

Upvote 0

hanwill

You can also take the bus to the Magic Kingdom, and ride the monorail... Take the Monorail back and forth from MK to Epcot- it's free... and you get to see a tiny bit of what you are going to do.... (The buses are a little bit of a pain for the scooter- but used to them being there- shouldn't be a problem at all in the middle of the day).
Although- if your kids have never been- they might not sleep....

Upvote 0

Redhawk

Might be a good idea to have a family meeting after dinner to plan your days. Are all four of you going to stick together the entire time, or will one parent pair off with one child sometimes to do different attractions? It's neat to sit down and look at the park maps and plan your day, check your FP+s, and get excited for the fun to come.

First rule of Disney World: Be flexible and let the Magic happen! (Don't worry about sticking too closely to a fixed plan. Things have a way of working out.)

Upvote 0

DManRightHere

If you want to spend the least amount of money possible...

1. Hit the pool, if you get bored go to Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is very nice and you can see the animals and talk to the guides. They have an excellent quick service restaurant at Jambo House. At night they have night vision goggles they bring out.

2. Hit the pool. At night go to I think contemporary lounge or the beach at the I think Grand Floridian and watch the Magic Kingdom Fireworks show.

3. Costs some money..same thing, hit the pool. If you get bored, go and play putt putt if you're into it. The courses look great and I've never made it over to play :(.

4. Could cost a lot more. Pool, then downtown Disney. If you know you're going to downtown disney at some point on the trip, go ahead and get it over with.

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

I second Mini golf. If you booked a package, it includes mini golf vouchers for 2 and the price is inexpensive over all.

You could stroll the boardwalk. Grab a pizza at the pizza window or snack at the boardwalk bakery.

Upvote 0

Kosmo1986

Mini-golf is fun and its right next to the boardwalk which is fun to walk around. We love going to downtown Disney and never really buy anything. Splitsville is a great place to eat, its not super cheap but if you get a pizza or 2 it will be about the same pp as eating in the food court at the hotel.

Upvote 0

heychadwick

Original Poster
Might be a good idea to have a family meeting after dinner to plan your days.

Funny...as that's what I did! Well, it was during dinner, actually.

We talked about Downtown Disney and realized that everything there is pretty much something we can see anyways. We have a Lego store in town. Broadway On The Beach at Myrtle Beach is something we've done a dozen times. There really isn't anything there that we want to do. The women aren't really into shopping (thank the Great Mickey). There is ONE thing, though. My daughter is an ice cream nut. Ghirardelli is not something we have at home and my daughter has seized on the idea of having ice cream.

So, the plan is to drive to Orlando and get there about 1pm. Go straight to Downtown Disney and get ice cream at Ghirardelli. Go back to hotel and check in. Go swimming and looking for Hidden Mickeys at the resort for the rest of the day. Hit the sack around 8-9 and wake up ready for the first day at Disney.

Thanks guys!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom