?Hablas espanol, Mickey?

DisneyBride94

Mmmm.... well... shouldn't Belle speak French? (Isn't Cinderella originally a French Fairy Tale as well?) And Mulan should speak Chinese (or would that be Mandarin?)...though I don't think I've ever run into her... Jasmine should speak Arabic... Pochantas should speak whatever language would have been historically accurate for her tribe...

IcicleM

I love Walt Disney World because it's so diverse, and it's the reason why it IS Disney WORLD, and I think that the fact that they're trying to encourage different languages for characters is definetely really good. This means, however, that it might be more difficult for a woman to get a job as Snow White or Cinderella because the application may require her to speak English and Spanish, but you know, most of the people who live in Florida speak Spanish and English because of the Spanish Population.

Think about all the Brazillian kids who are Soccer Teams and school events who come to visit Disney World? And you have many many many different types of people from Europe and Asia visiting the park, and yes, I agree that I would expect them to speak French in France if I went to Disneyland Paris, I do know some French (lucky for me) and I know that, that park DOES HAVE English speaking people, and I would expect that a place called "Disney World" would have people who speak my language (saying if I lived let's say in China, haha)

So I think this is a good idea, but it's going to take quite some time for it to actually blend in with the parks.

By the way, I think it's really cool how I can go to Germany, France, the UK, and Mexico [in Epcot] and order food and hold short conversations with the people there. ^_^

LaughingGravy

...why do you think that so many other countries teach their children english from a young age. The majority of our schools have the kids take one language.... Look at most European countries and you will find that most of the younger generations can speak English very well.

Allegedly, a Pan Am 727 flight waiting for start clearance in Munich overheard the following: Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?" Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English." Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in Germany. Why must I speak English?" Unknown voice from another plane (in a beautiful British accent): "Because you lost the bloody war."

English is the international language of flight. When I speak to any control tower, it is in English. All pilots must be able to speak English to get their licenses.

Our oldest is learning Spanish in school and started in 2nd grade.
The younger the better as far as retention and ease of learning.
It's not an intensive course load by any means, but I do think it is good for the mind to be able to speak, or at least understand, another language, be it Spanish or any other.

That being said, our national language is English. There is a ton of money being spent to teach people English. I have no problem with that, since it is clearly for the common good.
Legal contracts are in English. The reason? English as a language is much more flexible and can also be more specific with no question, and no claim of misunderstanding if used properly.

How many times have you ever heard "there's no direct translation" for something in a foreign language, while for English, every thought can be conveyed.

If I am driving in a foreign country, I make it a point to learn the words I am likely to encounter while driving on their roads, like Exit, Toll, Reverse turn, Detour, etc.
I also am sure to have the best map possible. I do not expect people to give me directions in English if I am lost in another country, unless I'm in an airplane.

I don't think it's bad at all for castmembers to voluntarily learn words from another language. I would even go so far as to say if they can pass a literacy test in another language, that is a bonus for WDW and could justify a higher pay rate, since it is a valuable skill.

For safety reasons, in the US, English should be required.

executivechef

I read many, many posts on this site and I have to say I respect 90% of the people on here as well as their opinions.
Let me say, I applaud everyone for keep this thread as neat as it's been. This is a very hard subject to discuss.
I've posted my opinion and I stand firm on it.
I'm an Executive Chef in MA. and our patrons are from all walks of life. At no point have we ever thought of making change to our menu. French dishes have French names, but described in english. The same for all our food that come from all countries, but our menu still remains in english. My state of MA has many different types of people. Chinese, Spanish, French (Canadian), Portuguese. So I'm in the people business myself. I know that if I have to train my employee someone to speak another language to assit someone who doesn't understand english I'm not going to eat that cost. I'm going to pass it on to my customers at some point.
I'm in America, this country has a first language...it's English. The government has just said that very same statement, it's our first language. At what point do you say enough? Everyone on this board is writing and reading english. If we were told that we had to post in 2 different languages because it would make it easier for others to use would you still be part of this? Honestly, I can say no.
I'm against this totally.
Sorry about the rant again.
This is just my opinion naturally.
Guy

KrazyKowboy

Bubba Mickey

Heck , iffin yall gonna go round speakin Spanish n all that, ya need ta respeck them thar hillbillies too !

I kin hear it now, ole Bubba Mickey struttin up wif my stomach growlin and he sez" Bubba, yall best be gittin over to the Tavern so Miss Minnie can rustle ya up sum grub ta cure that moanin in yer gut. Yall gonna luv it, she's got possum roast, sweet taters, collard greens, and all da fixins. hurry on down thar ya hear !

Well maybe it will never go that far and the pont is, it never should have to.
The USA has a native language, it's English and if you live here or visit, you should be able to converse in the native tongue.

I like the signature one of the members here has about the Crayons in the box. It would be a great world if we could all just get along, but remember the saying, "when in Rome, do as the Roman's do !"

Teenchy

I'm in America, this country has a first language...it's English. The government has just said that very same statement, it's our first language.

Its unbelieveable but they are trying to pass a bill that will officially declair English as our first language....(surprising it doesnt exist already or thats its even needed) but can you believe there are people who are against it!

DDCT4U

and then mickey can learn to speak ebonics.

shizza my nizzle folks, fo dizzle rizzle cuz it's a small world yo! just tryin to get myself some chizzle!

tigger2

hi,

do the cast members not have to speak more than one language? i'm pretty sure that the cast members at Disneyland Resort Paris are required to speak at least 2 languages.

also the shows at DLRP are performed in both french and english.

beachclubbasics

I just had to resurrect this thread because it is one that is close to my heart.

I am American born, but speak several languages, not because I have to, but because I just enjoy learning languages and pick them up quickly. I can remember a time back in the 70s when WDW was still bilingual, but intead of the monorail announcements being made in Spanish an English, they were made in English and Japanese, because Japanese tourists were the number two largest group visiting WDW and, at that time, were going through a booming econo my and had more money to burn than we had in the US. It was quite common to see Japanese tourists in the 70s purchasing one of eveything in sections of gift shops (such as porcelain figures, stuffed animals, etc). Between the Japanese economy going into recession and the construction of TDL, you see few Japanese tourists in WDW these day, but you do see many hispanic groups, though many are from Brazil (which speak Portugese). Also, Kissimme, and areas around Orlando are becoming filled with Spanish speaking residents. So why Disney would consider marketing to those grous I can understand.

That being said, I have 2 problems with the whole bilingual issue. If you go to Japan, not everyone speaks English. They are mandated to take 8 years of the language in school, but rarely do they learn enough to be able to carry on a conversation. There are places in Japan who have signs posted that state if you are not Japanese (or speak Japanese) you are not welcome...and that is legal in Japan. If you are going to be able to function effectly in Japan for any length of time you must know some Japanese (although I am told that you can get around larger cities more easily). And, you can walk into establishments in the US where no one speaks English..and where they will let you know (more by action than anything esle) that gringos are not wanted in their store/restaurant/etc and some will even refuse to serve you. In this country if you discriminate against other groups (race, ______, disability) it is against the law...welll, this is also discrimination, pure and simple. If you are moving to a new country to live you should learnthe language...and the laws.

The other problem I have is...whose responsibility and cost will it be to make certain that some Spanish is learned? Is WDW going to pay for classes or will the $6.75 per hour worker have to pay? will WDW set up classes or will the Cms have to take classes outside of WDW?

Shaman

The other problem I have is...whose responsibility and cost will it be to make certain that some Spanish is learned? Is WDW going to pay for classes or will the $6.75 per hour worker have to pay? will WDW set up classes or will the Cms have to take classes outside of WDW?

They'll hire illegal immigrants and pay them less. :ROFLOL:

Seriously though, I get where you're coming from in your post. But, my problem with everyone that supports the implementation of an "official language", and the whole, "you should learn the language" bit... is that when the first settlers came over, they didn't learn the language of the native peoples. When the U.S. expanded west, they didn't learn Spanish (or French)..and again didn't care for the native tongues. It's a sociological phenomena...or something. Heck, English is the product of Latin, French and Germanic influences.

Hispanics are the largest minority...and growing. Lots of tourist in Florida come from Latin America. Disney would be foolish if they didn't make their experience at WDW comfortable. They want all that $$$. If the tourist would be Japanese...we would still be hearing Japanese spiels.

All that being said...I think having the characters speak Spanish is OVERKILL.

:shrug:

TinkerBell25

I think the characters learning spanish is GREAT idea! Imagine some little hispanic girl's eyes when Snow White can say 'hello princess' in her language to her. I think saying that this is America is ignorant. Our country is and has nothing been anything but a melting pot. It's an amazing thing if people would just open up to it.

DisneyCane

Our country is and has nothing been anything but a melting pot.

It was called a melting pot because many cultures came together and assimilated into one American culture. There is no problem embracing that idea. The issue is when certain cultures have a much higher "melting point" and are not melting in with the rest of America. Separate languages do not further the cause of the "melting pot."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom