?Hablas espanol, Mickey?

napnet

Original Poster
State tourism powerhouses are aggressively stepping up their plans to court Hispanic and black travelers, coveted for their growing purchasing power.

One sign of the marketing push: Talk by Disney executives that Cinderella and Snow White may soon learn Spanish so the characters can more intimately interact with tourists at Orlando's theme parks.

The outreach comes as tourism leaders, including state promoter Visit Florida, are looking for ways to boost the state's appeal, especially given sluggish growth of out-of-state tourists and traditionally big-spending international visitors.

The Walt Disney Co. hired African-American and Hispanic ad firms for the first time this year to create a new line of television spots and print ads designed to attract people who identify with those groups.

"We wanted to make sure our advertising was as compelling as possible," said Xiomara Wiley, Disney's vice president for multicultural markets worldwide.

Targeted marketing to blacks, Hispanics and gay and lesbian audiences is growing as Florida attempts to reinvent itself as a fresh destination to groups whose collective purchasing power is projected to swell to more than $2 trillion by 2010.

"Groups are seeking, patronizing and utilizing services and destinations that recognize their affinity and market directly to them," said Roger Dow, executive director of the Travel Industry Association of America. "The more they do so, the more prominently they appear on marketers' radar screens and the more services are offered."

Travel takes off

Travel by Hispanics in the U.S. is growing at a rate of 20 percent compared with 2 percent for total travel in the U.S., according to a 2003 TIA report, the most recent available. Travel by blacks is growing by 4 percent, double the rate of total travel, according to the report.

Along with Walt Disney World, other Florida destinations such as the Keys are feeling the pressure.

"Years ago, you could just say the word 'Florida' and that was all that was needed," said Andy Newman, spokesman for the Florida Keys & Key West tourism council. "Now it's so competitive out there. There are so many other states and countries spending a ton of money, it's absolutely imperative to evolve and look for different market niches and do different things."

Disney's answer: hire firms Carol H. Williams in Oakland, Calif., and La Comunidad in Miami.

One commercial, which ran in Spanish, shows parents replacing accomplishments such as a framed diploma with photos from a Disney vacation.

Translated from Spanish the ad's narrator says, "What matters most is in your children's smiles. Make the dream of going to Disney a reality."

"The idea was to touch an emotional chord," said Jose Molla, co-founder of La Comunidad, whose clients include Best Buy and Red Bull.

Once a company such as Disney captures the attention of Hispanic audiences, it must then decide how to best deliver the Disney experience.

Some possibilities include offering theme-park shows in Spanish and ensuring that some of the princesses and other characters who roam the parks and interact with guests do so in Spanish. Now those characters only interact with tourists in English.

"Those are the types of things we're talking about," said Wiley of Disney.

But the company is still missing what could be a key component to courting Hispanic visitors: an event equivalent to the Tom Joyner Family Reunion weekend at Disney that attracts thousands of blacks.

"We're looking for a similar opportunity on the Hispanic side," Wiley said.

The Joyner reunion, centered on the radio personality, is in its fourth year and next month will feature concerts by Aretha Franklin and LL Cool J.

Since 1997, the company also has sponsored the Florida Classic football matchup at the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando between historically black colleges Bethune-Cookman and Florida A&M University.

Ads target market

This year, the Carol H. Williams firm added to the company's targeted marketing plan with an ad designed to show how a Disney vacation would inspire children.

Though Disney, which began its targeted campaigns nearly 10 years ago, may be trying to reach further into black and Hispanic markets, the rest of the state is lagging.

In the past three years, Visit Florida has increased its spending on Hispanic and black markets to about $1.4 million from less than $750,000, Dale Brill, chief marketing officer, said. But focus groups conducted with Hispanics and blacks earlier this year showed few people were familiar with Florida vacations outside Disney, he said.

"It verifies what I already knew, which is that we're not spending enough money in those markets," he said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-tourism0306aug03,0,385502.story?track=rss

Mecha Figment

Groan, i dont' mind it if they make it voluntary for the characters to speak another language. but i do mind it if they force it on them. Grant it it is cool that an Aladdin i worked with could speak a few phrases in japanesse , spanish portuguesse and german.

simply put if i go to Disneyland Paris i'm not goign to expect the characters to speak english but french.

executivechef

Here in the good ole USA we make sure everyone can be understood. Even if it means WE have to learn how to speak several tongues. Who cares that it cost money and time for us to understand what language your speaking and to train and teach employees how to do the same.
Last I looked this was America. If I go to France, I need to speak French, Spain, spanish, China...Germany...where ever I go I need to learn and speak their tongue.
I'm so tired of it.
Sorry to rant.
Guy

darthjohnny

There is a My Pal Mickey version that speaks Spanish, but I don't completely understand. I think they will just teach the characters different languages, so if the opportunity comes, they can handle the situation. But I doubt they'll preform the shows in different languages, that is what those translators at Guest Relations. But I think the main language in the park should be English, since we are in America.

CaptainMichael

Horizons1 said:
Because this is their definition of equally...
To single out single races of people and target them...hmmm...

There is a place in WDW many languages can be found: World Showcase!...everywhere else should be strictly English.

MickeyTigg

executivechef said:
Here in the good ole USA we make sure everyone can be understood. Even if it means WE have to learn how to speak several tongues. Who cares that it cost money and time for us to understand what language your speaking and to train and teach employees how to do the same.

Only if you're catering to foreign business....if you want to function in this country you should learn english....in some cases you may want learn another language if the area is heavily populated by immigrants.

But this has nothing to do with that in this story....Disney is catering to a specific ethnic population for more visitors and in order to welcome those, they would like some CM's to know spanish...I don't see what the big deal is.

Besides....WDW is an international destination...having some of the characters speak spanish is not unreasonable.

MickeyTigg

STR8FAN2005 said:

It's called marketing. Find an underserved population and go after it...if it means learning spanish to get more hispanic visitors....that's how it goes.

It's not like spanish is becoming the predominant language in the parks....most if not all instructions are bilingual anyway.

DisneyRoxMySox

I think what most people are afraid of is that it is discouraging those who speak other languages than English. With everyone cateting to them, they don't even have to bother learning English. They can get by just fine speaking Spanish.

MKCP 1985

STR8FAN2005 said:

There is a place in WDW many languages can be found: World Showcase!...everywhere else should be strictly English.

well, that is one view. . .

On my last trip to Epcot, there were character appearances all around the World Showcase.

Princess Jasmine and Genie appeared in where? Morocco? Jasmine spoke English.

Sleeping Beauty appeared in France. She spoke English.

Mulan appeared in China. She was a bit of a grouch I am told, but she spoke English.

Mary Poppins appeared in England and spoke English. :lol:

Over at the Magic Kingdom, Cinderella is by all appearances from Belgium, Luxemburg, Austria or a country near there. She speaks English.

I see no problem with these characters, while in character, being able to speak any language, so long as they can continue to speak English, too.

It would be sad for me personally if I were with little kids meeting Snow White at Walt Disney World in Orlando or Disneyland in Anaheim and she could not speak English, but if she can speak English to my group and Spanish to another, Portuguese to the Brazilians . . . how sweet would that be for those kids?

CaptainMichael

So, why just spanish? What about little Chinese kids? Japanese kids? Korean Kids? French kids? etc?...I say only speak one language unless you are willing to cater to all.

I'd hate to be a CM and have to learn a million languages and then be able to figure out which one to use with certain people. IMO, it does more harm than good. We shouldn't be expecting a young person making little money to be able to do all of this...

MKCP 1985

My guess? Spanish is more commonly spoken by the majority of either non-English speaking guests or guests for whom English is not their first language. As was stated, many signs and recorded instructions are already broadcast in Spanish and most non-Spanish speaking guests probably give little attention. The monorail spiel comes to mind . . .

Remember, the company is looking to enhance the guest experience for as many of its guests as possible. This is not an assault on America. :)

CaptainMichael

Perhaps Disney should just have a bunch of cards with different languages to English translations for simple/common things. Then international guests can learn and have fun and CM's don't feel pressured :)

darthjohnny

Here's some info, since Disney is an American company, although the attractions in other countries are in the native language, pretty much everything is also in english, such as many ride signs and shows...something the French aren't too happy about :)

executivechef

OK, allow me to post this in another way....
This being just my opinion:
Having Disney employees learn another language for working at either Disney in California, or Disney in Florida is wrong. Time and money are being spent to cater to people who do not understand english.
Here's another way to look at this....
Go to Honk Kong, watch the disney shows and complain that Disney Hong Kong doesn't market to English speaking people and see how far they go to change the format. Visitors are just that...visiting. If your in the USA and are living here and still do not understand english...not our trouble. When one raises their hand to be sworn as an American, it's in ENGLISH. Learn to read it and speak it.
America changes way to many things to make others happy.

"One sign of the marketing push: Talk by Disney executives that Cinderella and Snow White may soon learn Spanish so the characters can more intimately interact with tourists at Orlando's theme parks."

This is just my opinion again.
Guy

yensidtlaw1969

You must remember, at a young age it is difficult enough to learn a new language, but at an older age it is even worse. I'm gonna guess that they're going to either teach these characters Spanish (or hire ones that already speak it) and over time introduce new languages to them so that way it caters to everyone. America is a Melting Pot and there is no "Main Race". There are many people in this country who were born here and yet they speak a language other than english. In that case, the whole "America is for Americans" argument goes out the window. This is their country too. I don't know why anyone has a problem with this; if it doesn't apply to you it should not affect anything, and if it does it will only make for a greater Disney Experience, and I have no problem with that.

Yensid " . . . And it will be
A Future Built with Care
For You and Me
A World we All can Share . . ." tlaw1969

wannab@dis

STR8FAN2005 said:
So, why just spanish? What about little Chinese kids? Japanese kids? Korean Kids? French kids? etc?...I say only speak one language unless you are willing to cater to all.

I'd hate to be a CM and have to learn a million languages and then be able to figure out which one to use with certain people. IMO, it does more harm than good. We shouldn't be expecting a young person making little money to be able to do all of this...
This is the aspect that worries me more than anything else. The arguments about hispanic targeting aside, if a CM is not careful, they may "assume" someone speaks a dialect and it could offend the guest if they are not correct. I know there's been issues at hospitals where a translator was brought in based on "perceived" nationality and they were wrong. They are then made to feel guilty of "stereotyping" based on race/language. What started out as an attempt to help the patient turns into an issue. As we all know, when an issue involves a large corporation, phone calls to lawyers are quickly made.

I understand the marketing slant, but it seems to be a "slippery slope" that could cause more harm than good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom