Guy that died on Big Thunder

Florida Man

Original Poster
Originally posted by DISNEYRULES!!!
Any More info about the guy who died on Big Thunder at Disneyland?

Nevermind, I thought I was in Rumors and News and it looked like nobody had posted it yet.

t3techcom18

Just heard about it on AOL. Pretty bad...and weird. It's like this: the guy that died on Big Thunder Mountain died in the tunnel scene, killing him, and injuring 10 other people, ages 9 to 47. It was reported that a locomotive broke loose from the train. No one knows what actually happened. Most of the injured were taken to the hospital, and only 2 were treated at the park. Is there any CM who works at Disneyland knows the whole story, or anyone heard it on the news?

GaryT977

In case the link doesn't work:

ANAHEIM, California (AP) -- -- A locomotive broke loose from a train on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster Friday, killing a man and injuring 10 other riders, officials said.

The man died inside a tunnel section of the ride, and his body remained there for the investigation, said city spokesman John Nicoletti. He was not immediately identified.

Eight of the injured, ranging in age from 9 to 47, were taken to the hospital, while two others were treated at the scene, Nicoletti said. One of those taken to the hospital had moderate injuries, while the other cases were considered minor, he said.

The accident took place inside a tunnel section of the ride, but exactly what happened was unclear, said police Sgt. Rick Martinez.

The roller coaster takes people on a twisting, turning ride aboard what is supposed to be a runaway train in the Old West. Riders zoom around outdoors past falling rocks and tumbling waterfalls, occasionally entering tunnels designed to look like mineshafts and caverns.

The attraction, which opened in 1979, can carry as many as 32 people. The ride is computer-controlled, and the operator does not ride aboard the train.

"On behalf of the entire cast of the Disneyland Resort we are shocked and saddened," said Cynthia Harris, president of Disneyland Resort.

Katherine

This is so aweful! I just have one question though which "tunnel" did the train break down on? I can't find it in any of the articles. My heart goes out to his friends and family.

BRER STITCH

Originally posted by DISNEYRULES!!!
Any More info about the guy who died on Big Thunder at Disneyland?

There was an accident at Big Thunder Mountain, killing Marcello Torres, 22, of Gardena, and injuring ten other riders, one of whom, Vicente Gutierrez, a 22-year-old from Wilmington suffered facial cuts and chest injuries, including possible broken ribs. Six were taken to UCI Medical, two to Western Medical, and two were treated at the scene and released. The injured included two boys ages 9 and 15, two men ages 20 and 47, and four women ages 19, 21, 37 and 47. According to the Orange County Register, "Anaheim firefighters arrived within two minutes of receiving the call about the accident at 11:22 a.m. Four Anaheim paramedic units and two Disney rescue units also went to the scene. [The accident] is being investigated by Anaheim police and the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

BRER STITCH

Originally posted by Katherine
This is so aweful! I just have one question though which "tunnel" did the train break down on? I can't find it in any of the articles. My heart goes out to his friends and family.

Here is some additional information that has come from various sources. The tunnel this happened in is the dark one where the train enters after passing by a coyote animatronic and a few hanging possums. The train enters this tunnel after a sharp dip and then makes a quick turn to the right, whereupon it exits outside briefly just before making a sharp left and entering the final tunnel of the ride, where the gold mine effect is located.

bearboysnc

Originally posted by BRER STITCH
Here is some additional information that has come from various sources. The tunnel this happened in is the dark one where the train enters after passing by a coyote animatronic and a few hanging possums. The train enters this tunnel after a sharp dip and then makes a quick turn to the right, whereupon it exits outside briefly just before making a sharp left and entering the final tunnel of the ride, where the gold mine effect is located.

That quote is from an Al Lutz @ Miceage.com story, here is the rest.

http://miceage.com/allutz/al090603a.htm

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom