Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

StarWarsGirl

Is there a time to go to DLR when it is not crowded? I went last February 2016 which was our Mardi Gras in New Orleans and DLR was packed.
Have they improved on the security line, it was VERY SLOW?
Thank you!!!
Check the AP blackout calendar. Avoid dates that are blacked out and periods right after the blackout (because, as I found out recently, APs storm the parks when the blackout period ends). If Disney is running some sort of promotion on their rooms, it's a pretty good sign things will be slow.
Thank you! We use to know when to go to WDW and what parks weren't crowded at what times. Not anymore, I feel like a 1st timer sometimes because things have changed so much.

I guess it is the same with DLR and people who knew it.
I'd agree with you there. I used to say avoid DHS and MK on weekends, but now I'd say avoid MK on EMH days and avoid MK and Epcot on weekends. And pretty much on both coasts, there's just no such thing as "not crowded" anymore. Things change, and there's no set of rules that always applies. My last trip to DL, I was expecting the week to be less crowded and the weekend to be pretty crowded. Nope. Week was definitely more crowded. Indy on a Sunday night was a 15 minute wait. Hard to predict.

BrianV

Any word on when the electronic fast passes start? We will be there for our first visit in early April and would be just as happy if it was still old school. I have mixed feelings about it at Wdw.

Practical Pig

Any word on when the electronic fast passes start? We will be there for our first visit in early April and would be just as happy if it was still old school. I have mixed feelings about it at Wdw.

I believe (not certain) the most current info we have is simply what was announced on the Disney Parks Blog, and that is just sometime "later this year."

BrianV

I believe (not certain) the most current info we have is simply what was announced on the Disney Parks Blog, and that is just sometime "later this year."
Thanks. Didn't know if I'd missed something. I sort of like it at Wdw. But it makes you have to plan more. I know this one will be different, at least at first.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster

I wouldn't expect it to really start rolling out until June.

Californian Elitist

I'm not exactly sure what you were trying to say there, but it came off sounding kind of funny to me.

It's very much true. The first day I trained for Alice, my trainer told me to beware of ride breakdowns because the ride system was so old. Sure enough, in less than an hour of training, the ride broke down and we had to call the fire department and evacuate.

Californian Elitist

Sorry. It was specifically this part I was referring to:

Oh, I see. That part is true as well. For example, the system that helps the marching cards move no longer exists, so if that ever permanently breaks, they'll have to come up with something else to get it to work. Have you ever noticed the CMs that work Alice are very specific as to how many people can sit in the front and back of the caterpillar? That's because the vehicles are sensitive and too much weight in the front can cause the vechicle to stop and the entire ride to shut down.

Alice is quite fragile. I literally would pray the ride wouldn't break down every time I had to work that rotation. Toad can also break down easily, and it's included in the Alice rotation. Both are a recipe for disaster.

StarWarsGirl

Oh, I see. That part is true as well. For example, the system that helps the marching cards move no longer exists, so if that ever permanently breaks, they'll have to come up with something else to get it to work. Have you ever noticed the CMs that work Alice are very specific as to how many people can sit in the front and back of the caterpillar? That's because the vehicles are sensitive and too much weight in the front can cause the vechicle to stop and the entire ride to shut down.

Alice is quite fragile. I literally would pray the ride wouldn't break down every time I had to work that rotation. Toad can also break down easily, and it's included in the Alice rotation. Both are a recipe for disaster.
I actually did notice that when I was out there. It was me and one friend, and they always had both of us sitting in the back. At other dark rides, they weren't as picky. We were wondering what it was. Interesting. :)

Californian Elitist

I actually did notice that when I was out there. It was me and one friend, and they always had both of us sitting in the back. At other dark rides, they weren't as picky. We were wondering what it was. Interesting. :)

They could have had one of you sit in the front and one in the back, but yep, two in the back sounds about right. Imagine having a big group to separate. Lol.

Californian Elitist

Do they still have to close off Alice in Wonderland to all other guests when a handicapped guest rides through?

If the handicapped guests takes a significantly long time to board, then yes. Had to do that for Pinocchio once. A woman and her handicapped mother wanted to ride, but her mother took so long getting on that the ride backed up and broke down. We had to evacuate the ride and let the woman and her mother ride by themselves.

DisneyAndADoleWhip

So glad this forum exists! My family is planning our first Disneyland trip in March (long time WDW vets) and as the family's resident Disney expert, I know I'm going to be expected to know everything :confused:
We've got one day, so I have to make it count.
Thank you all for being so helpful!

Anything in particular I should know about a March visit? I've got the refurb list,park hours, FastPass info, and dining info.

BrianV

Less than two weeks for our first trip. Seeking advice. What is the easiest and cheapest way from Long Beach Airport to the nearby hotels for two people? (Hilton for us!). Quick search sounded like a taxi for 2 might not be a bad plan unless there is something decently cheaper.

We then fly out separately from LAX but I figured the concierge can help book travel back to airport.

We have lunch reservations one day at the blue Bayou but otherwise plan to wing it.

One last question. The the three day ticket we have it allows early admission one day. I know it is not every day they do that, but is it CA or DL, or is it only to one. We will be there April 3-5!

Thanks for any help!

PacNWTigger

Uber might be a way to go as well, but the locals might better be able to speak to that. Super Shuttle is also a great service even though it is a shared ride. I have found them to be timely and they text notices upon arrival.

There are early morning magic hours every day, but it does alternate parks. You're only allowed one early morning in one park...unless you make breakfast reservations and work around it a little bit. ;)

I hope you guys have a wonderful time!

Curious Constance

One last question. The the three day ticket we have it allows early admission one day. I know it is not every day they do that, but is it CA or DL, or is it only to one. We will be there April 3-5!

Thanks for any help!

Per Disneyland.com's entertainment schedule on April 3 extra magic hour is at DCA (8-9 am), April 4th at DL (7-8am), and April 5th back at DCA (8-9am).

Curious Constance

Less than two weeks for our first trip. Seeking advice. What is the easiest and cheapest way from Long Beach Airport to the nearby hotels for two people? (Hilton for us!). Quick search sounded like a taxi for 2 might not be a bad plan unless there is something decently cheaper.

We then fly out separately from LAX but I figured the concierge can help book travel back to airport.

QUOTE]

And here is a great thread on LGB to DL transportation.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ation-for-family-of-four.923844/#post-7546702

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom