Guests wowed by live birth at Rafiki's Planet Watch

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Guests wowed by live birth at Rafiki's Planet Watch
Steve Langlois
06/10/2003

LAKE BUENA VISTA, FL (Disney) -- Disney's Animal Kingdom guests recently watched the birth of a baby siamang (pronounced sigh-uh-mang), a species of ape, on several monitors that broadcast the operation from a surgery room at Rafiki's Planet Watch.
"The guests loved it," said Sharon Joseph, curator of mammals at Disney's Animal Kingdom. "They applauded when the baby was removed."

Animal keepers had monitored the pregnant mother.

"We came in that morning, and the birth wasn't progressing as it should have been," said Zoological Manager Hollie Colahan. "We took her to the hospital and did an X-ray and saw that the baby was going to be a breech."

A veterinary team took the mother to a surgery room and performed a caesarian section. About 20 guests gathered in the hospital viewing area to view the entire surgery and extraction of the baby male. Many other guests passing by the area viewed portions of the procedure.

Hollie said the baby's well on his way to joining the other siamangs in Asia at the theme park.

"The baby's doing well now," Hollie said. "He's healthy, and eventually the first-time mom will get together with him."

Hollie said the televised birth, along with recent onstage births of a baby hippo and wildebeest at Kilimanjaro Safaris, added to the guests' experience at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

"I think it's great that people get to see what we do," Hollie said. "The hospital and examining rooms at Rafiki's Planet Watch provide a great learning opportunity for guests who can't experience this anywhere else."

Siamang1.jpg

Siamang2.jpg

Pictures are ©Disney

Dann Hazel

Very Cool!

It's great DAK's having such success in breeding the animals.

My favorite part of Rafiki's Planet Watch is the ability to see into the surgery. Last visit, I got to see a thorough examination of one of the bats from Asia.

Dann

Shaman

Re: Very Cool!

Originally posted by Dann Hazel
It's great DAK's having such success in breeding the animals.

My favorite part of Rafiki's Planet Watch is the ability to see into the surgery. Last visit, I got to see a thorough examination of one of the bats from Asia.

Dann

I agree...Its great to hear such great news from DAK. Planet Watch is really intresting...but its sad that it doesn't get alot of attention and is often overlooked....maybe its because people have to take the train...I love that train ride though. Just my opinion. :hammer:

mickeysaver

That baby is so ugly he's cute! Thanks for sharing that with us. I can't wait to go back to Conservation Station again. We had such a good time out there. Mickey

MrPromey

Hmm, I can hear it now: “Well, when a woman ape and a man ape love each other a lot and…” ;)

Seriously, with so much recent attention being on new or coming attractions that have nothing to do with real animals, it is nice to see something like this in the headlines about this park.

GaryT977

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
After reading this...I still wonder why people don't enjoy Animal Kingdom as much as the other parks....

Because it's not thrilling. It takes a bit of patience to enjoy it. When I took the AK tour last week, our guide told us that AK execs were frustrated that very few people would separate from the herd and explore the park.

leeocean

Originally posted by GaryT977
Because it's not thrilling. It takes a bit of patience to enjoy it. When I took the AK tour last week, our guide told us that AK execs were frustrated that very few people would separate from the herd and explore the park.

Thrill junkies... I agree with the Freak, people gotta slow down and enjoy the beautiful scenery once in awhile. Ya never know, you might learn something.

netenyahoo

We didn't go out to Rafiki's Planet Watch when we were at AK. It was out first time and I didn't think much of it and we didn't have too much time anyhow. I am really mad at myself now that I know what is out there. I know my daughter would have loved it too. Next time we'll be there! Those pics are so cute too!

GaryT977

Originally posted by netenyahoo
We didn't go out to Rafiki's Planet Watch when we were at AK. It was out first time and I didn't think much of it and we didn't have too much time anyhow. I am really mad at myself now that I know what is out there. I know my daughter would have loved it too. Next time we'll be there! Those pics are so cute too!

I'm not sure if this is in the guide map, but there is a petting zoo at Rafiki's so the kiddies can get up and close with some of the animals. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom