Guest Assistance Card

k.hunter30

Original Poster
I saw that this was discussed a little in an earlier thread - but I'm hoping to get some detailed information.

My mother called Disney today and explained her situation and asked what they recommend. She had double knee replacement surgery a few months ago. Walking isn't too bad for her, but standing in one place is. Despite what some posters here said, Disney told her she should get the "blue guest assistance card" which would let her sit and wait while her group stands in line. She will then be able to join us once we are ready to board the ride.

How exactly does this work? Are there designated places for her to sit for every ride? Has anyone used this card and done this?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Each attraction has its specific policies regarding Guest Assistance Cards. I won't get into detail as that information can be abused by unethical types, but typically there is a holding area in the queue, or near the exit that the person waits in until their party gets to the front of the queue.

To get one, just go to Guest Relations and politely explain your situation. You should be able to get one without problem.

PhotoDave219

Each attraction has its specific policies regarding Guest Assistance Cards. I won't get into detail as that information can be abused by unethical types, but typically there is a holding area in the queue, or near the exit that the person waits in until their party gets to the front of the queue.

Youre not suggesting that those are abused by anyone who patronizes these forums, are you? :lookaroun

Next thing you know anyone will be able to rent an ECV. :lookaroun

chester123

Experience with wheelchair/cane on March visit

My personal experience with a cane and wheelchair at WDW was very interesting. The first day we headed to the Magic Kingdom from the Poly and I was literally trampled to board the monorail. My family had to jump off before the doors closed as they saw that I had been pushed down. I was walking with a cane, slowly but surely. We waited for the next monorail and the cm saw that we got on ok. I was very saddened to see that other people treated me so rudely. Due to a slowly progressing muscle disease I am no longer able to walk quickly or any distances. While using a wheelchair, I observed several people whispering in regards that "she shouldn't be in a wheelchair or have a guest assistance card, looks fine to me." Needless to say I spent a lot of times in tears, I just wish people would understand that a person with a disability does not have to look unbathed, be obese, have torn clothes or be unhappy with their family. My famiy & I have developed a new appreciation for people with disabilities due to our personal experience. I am also offended that someone would imply that many people would have ecv's. Yes, I did have a wheelchair and yes I did have a guest assistance card, AND we chose to wait in some of the longer lines instead of taking the offer the cm's gave us, provided it was ok with them. There were some attractions that were not made for wheelchairs at all and I did not have a choice but to go where directed. We opted to rent a wheelchair at the park, as it would be easier for the bus drivers, etc, but after the experiences of being run down while walking slow with a cane, next time we will have a wheelchair delivered to the hotel for use the whole time. I feel for anyone headed to Disney with a disability, Disney tries to accommodate, but the guests did not. Sorry...........There were some nice guests, but most did not understand or offer help. Oh, and we got on a full bus and I told my husband I'd try to stand. Well, around a corner and I lost my balance, NOW- would an American offer me a seat, no a woman from Israel, go figure! A very nice lady whom I was gracious to. It saddens me that we as Americans take so much for granted and don't think of others. We love WDW and will definitely return, but with a different plan, not sure what but we'll know it when we get there!

I saw that this was discussed a little in an earlier thread - but I'm hoping to get some detailed information.

My mother called Disney today and explained her situation and asked what they recommend. She had double knee replacement surgery a few months ago. Walking isn't too bad for her, but standing in one place is. Despite what some posters here said, Disney told her she should get the "blue guest assistance card" which would let her sit and wait while her group stands in line. She will then be able to join us once we are ready to board the ride.

How exactly does this work? Are there designated places for her to sit for every ride? Has anyone used this card and done this?

Going to Disney...and staying at my favorite resort, no less!!! I have nothing to add (never used this card) except my best wishes and love. Hope you have a great time and your mom gets the most out of the trip...when you get back update and let us know your experiences! :kiss:

My personal experience with a cane and wheelchair at WDW was very interesting. The first day we headed to the Magic Kingdom from the Poly and I was literally trampled to board the monorail. My family had to jump off before the doors closed as they saw that I had been pushed down. I was walking with a cane, slowly but surely. We waited for the next monorail and the cm saw that we got on ok. I was very saddened to see that other people treated me so rudely. Due to a slowly progressing muscle disease I am no longer able to walk quickly or any distances. While using a wheelchair, I observed several people whispering in regards that "she shouldn't be in a wheelchair or have a guest assistance card, looks fine to me." Needless to say I spent a lot of times in tears, I just wish people would understand that a person with a disability does not have to look unbathed, be obese, have torn clothes or be unhappy with their family. My famiy & I have developed a new appreciation for people with disabilities due to our personal experience. I am also offended that someone would imply that many people would have ecv's. Yes, I did have a wheelchair and yes I did have a guest assistance card, AND we chose to wait in some of the longer lines instead of taking the offer the cm's gave us, provided it was ok with them. There were some attractions that were not made for wheelchairs at all and I did not have a choice but to go where directed. We opted to rent a wheelchair at the park, as it would be easier for the bus drivers, etc, but after the experiences of being run down while walking slow with a cane, next time we will have a wheelchair delivered to the hotel for use the whole time. I feel for anyone headed to Disney with a disability, Disney tries to accommodate, but the guests did not. Sorry...........There were some nice guests, but most did not understand or offer help. Oh, and we got on a full bus and I told my husband I'd try to stand. Well, around a corner and I lost my balance, NOW- would an American offer me a seat, no a woman from Israel, go figure! A very nice lady whom I was gracious to. It saddens me that we as Americans take so much for granted and don't think of others. We love WDW and will definitely return, but with a different plan, not sure what but we'll know it when we get there!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience...I would do as the OP did and call Disney and explain your exact situation and see what they recommend. And never you mind what other people say, they don't know your situation so try not to take it to heart. Do what's best for you so that you can enjoy Disney.

k.hunter30

Original Poster
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It is a shame that people can be so disrespectful.

however, do you have more information on the Guest Assistance card? Which rides was your party able to ride with you? Which rides did you have to go to the head of the line by yourself? Were there rides in which you would wait in a designated area until your party met you at the boarding area?

Any tips or just a heads-up on some of the details of the Guest Assistance Card would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Going to Disney...and staying at my favorite resort, no less!!! I have nothing to add (never used this card) except my best wishes and love. Hope you have a great time and your mom gets the most out of the trip...when you get back update and let us know your experiences! :kiss:
Will do Amy!

I have trouble walking or standing for long periods due to a motorcycle accident and so I usually pick up a guest assistance card (they usually give me a red one).

This allows me to make use of alternative entrances that makes it easier for me to experience the attraction (E.G: on HM you go in using an alternative entrance that bypasses the stretching room, bit of a shame but it reduces my standing time), this doesn't mean that you get "front of queue" or an instant fast pass, it's about comfort not wait time.

When I get the card though they asked me how many in my party and this was put on the card so they were allowed to come with me whenever I used the alternative entrance.

The type of card you get is dependent on the specific problem however, and I don't know what you get for any one apart from the red one.

I too noticed that some people looked at me like I was a "freeloader", assuming that the cane was an act to get special treatment but end of the day, I know the truth so who cares about the ignorance of others.

Shaman

Youre not suggesting that those are abused by anyone who patronizes these forums, are you? :lookaroun

Next thing you know anyone will be able to rent an ECV. :lookaroun

:ROFLOL:
It's just one of those things abused at Disney. It's kind of sad, because Disney is trying to help people out...but there are always those that like to milk the system for everything they can. Some need to be reminded that guest assistance cards does NOT equal God-like status at the 'world'....even if it is coupled with annual or Premium annual passes.

:hammer: :lol:

k.hunter30

Original Poster
I have trouble walking or standing for long periods due to a motorcycle accident and so I usually pick up a guest assistance card (they usually give me a red one).

This allows me to make use of alternative entrances that makes it easier for me to experience the attraction (E.G: on HM you go in using an alternative entrance that bypasses the stretching room, bit of a shame but it reduces my standing time), this doesn't mean that you get "front of queue" or an instant fast pass, it's about comfort not wait time.

When I get the card though they asked me how many in my party and this was put on the card so they were allowed to come with me whenever I used the alternative entrance.

The type of card you get is dependent on the specific problem however, and I don't know what you get for any one apart from the red one.

I too noticed that some people looked at me like I was a "freeloader", assuming that the cane was an act to get special treatment but end of the day, I know the truth so who cares about the ignorance of others.
Thanks! That's very helpful.

Since there are 8 people in our party, my mom will probably hit up the rides in which she can just sit and wait for us to get to the boarding area through the regular line when we're all together. If my parents, Dh and I split off then she might want to take advantage of different entrances. It's up to her.

My mom's in her mid-60s and you can tell by the way she walks that her knees are still recovering. I hope no one would say anything about her using the card, but I'm like you - I really don't care what other people think.

doombuggie

my mother needs a wheelchair...for knee problems..and my wife for severe asthma problems....trust me the special entrances are a SMALL benefit for this...they would MUCH rather walk around the parks..it is a MAJOR inconvieniece for them and ME to have them in a wheelchair..so the little advatages you may get...it is not worth it.(to fake it i mean)

Shaman

my mother needs a wheelchair...for knee problems..and my wife for severe asthma problems....trust me the special entrances are a SMALL benefit for this...they would MUCH rather walk around the parks..it is a MAJOR inconvieniece for them and ME to have them in a wheelchair..so the little advatages you may get...it is not worth it. (to fake it i mean)

Honestly, I think some people (at least a few that I know) fake it...for the attention. :shrug:

I'm glad that Disney offers special assistance though...somethings just come with the territory.

maelstrom

NOW- would an American offer me a seat, no a woman from Israel, go figure! A very nice lady whom I was gracious to. It saddens me that we as Americans take so much for granted and don't think of others.

Hey, there are some nice Americans out there! I like to think I'm one of them. I would definitely offer my seat to an elderly or disabled person as long as I knew that I could stand safely nearby. You see, I'm 4'11" and therefore I cannot reach the overhead bars on the bus and I need to be near one of the vertical bars to hold on (or on the older busses, all of the front seats have handle bars on the back, which is fine). I myself have had to stand holding onto nothing and had people LAUGH at me because, oh isn't it so funny that little girl (I'm 21...) flying around the bus like that. So, like I said, I'd offer my seat to someone, as long as I knew that I'd be safe standing up (just unfortunate that sometimes I wouldn't be and I need to keep my own safety in mind).

Hook's Girl

Thanks! That's very helpful.

Since there are 8 people in our party, my mom will probably hit up the rides in which she can just sit and wait for us to get to the boarding area through the regular line when we're all together. If my parents, Dh and I split off then she might want to take advantage of different entrances. It's up to her.

My mom's in her mid-60s and you can tell by the way she walks that her knees are still recovering. I hope no one would say anything about her using the card, but I'm like you - I really don't care what other people think.

Just a quick note, Guest Assistance Cards can only be issued for up to 6 people.

rdour@techminds

I know that in my experience with busses, people offer me a seat even when I don't need one. I'm blind, but I sure can stand and hold a bar or strap. However, I have a "visible" disability. Those who don't get the irritating treatment because people have had their problems seeing the system abusers. I personally have an issue when we are at WDW and someone has an ECV and they are switching turns with their kids playing around driving on it. Yeah, even then, maybe the person is taking a few moments to enjoy themselves on foot, but keep in mind that people are watching. If you keep in mind that people may not know what you're really doing, you may prevent hurting a stereotype. I do have one issue though. Take that little beeping device off the ECVs. I remember being honked at while toe to toe with everyone leaving Epcot after Illuminations. I was honked at for a solid 5 minutes. I asked the other guest if they were honking at me or if they were honking in the spirit of fun. They were honking at me. I think that is so rude. Where was I supposed to move? Do they get the ability to cut through the crowd? Answer is just no. I can't fully extend my cane in a crowd. It is sure to get broken or trip someone. Now, it is my right to mobility, but I have my limits too. I've had my share of tripping people, and I feel terrible about it.

Ryan

rcapolete

The shame of it is that people do in fact abuse the system. When we where there last MAy my ds who was 2 a the time was run over by a guy using the ELectric wheelchair at the Pop Century. Thankfully he was not injured. The guys response was i never used one of these before. Now i understand walking in the park is an issue, but if you are able to get around on a normal day without a Ecv then maybe a crowded resort area is not the best place to use one for the first time. If need be then maybe an old fashion wheel chair would surfice or if a ecv is needeed then amybe alittle practice would help before someone goes zipping around a crowded hotel lobby where there are a lot of small kids.

I've heard about people being verbally harassed by people in line, when using the guest pass to get in ahead of others. Is this true? I mean, I don't see why it's anyone's buisness. I've even heard this has happened to parents with visibly Autistic children. I can understand having a long hot day at Disneyworld, but come on.

I am anxious that this will happen when I go to the park. We're getting guest passes cause my dad has a memory problem. I don't know what I'd do if someone harassed me for using it cause I don't "look" disabled.

I have Asperger's Syndrome, but you wouldn't know it unless I told you. Or you realized what a video game/computer geek I am, lol. So the whole issue of "invisible" disability has plagued me throughout my life. Sometimes when there are issues like the guest pass.

I also am in a family of relatively plus sized people, and I'd be so :mad:, if someone made a comment like "Oh being a fat-something isn't a disability!", cause there is so much prejudice being allowed to be perpetuated on people of size now. I hope the cast members know how to deal with this. Sometimes I feel so frustrated about such people, I feel like being violent towards them.

I wouldn't but it's like you know, it's Disneyworld. What kind of person is going to harass a family with an Autistic child? Heck why harass someone in Disneyworld, why not just assume there is a good reason why someone was given a special guest pass, and be glad you're not having to deal with x situation they're in.

:sohappy:This rant is done!:sohappy:

AstareGod

I've heard about people being verbally harassed by people in line, when using the guest pass to get in ahead of others. Is this true? I mean, I don't see why it's anyone's buisness. I've even heard this has happened to parents with visibly Autistic children. I can understand having a long hot day at Disneyworld, but come on.

I am anxious that this will happen when I go to the park. We're getting guest passes cause my dad has a memory problem. I don't know what I'd do if someone harassed me for using it cause I don't "look" disabled.

I have Asperger's Syndrome, but you wouldn't know it unless I told you. Or you realized what a video game/computer geek I am, lol. So the whole issue of "invisible" disability has plagued me throughout my life. Sometimes when there are issues like the guest pass.

I also am in a family of relatively plus sized people, and I'd be so :mad:, if someone made a comment like "Oh being a fat-something isn't a disability!", cause there is so much prejudice being allowed to be perpetuated on people of size now. I hope the cast members know how to deal with this. Sometimes I feel so frustrated about such people, I feel like being violent towards them.

I wouldn't but it's like you know, it's Disneyworld. What kind of person is going to harass a family with an Autistic child? Heck why harass someone in Disneyworld, why not just assume there is a good reason why someone was given a special guest pass, and be glad you're not having to deal with x situation they're in.

:sohappy:This rant is done!:sohappy:
People can be very mean. It is sad. I am very accommodating with any situation really. It's not only my job but my responsibility as a human and a CM to make sure every guest has a great experience. It does get really difficult when a situation arises and people are dissatisfied to the point of anger and frustration, and there's not much we can do about it other than call a supervisor. In such a happy place, it's sad that that ever has to happen, but the CMs there have a responsibility to make your visit the best it can be. They are there to help you out.

As for the poster a couple of posts back referring to having to stand on the bus, all Disney buses should have DEDICATED seating for guests with disabilities. I'm glad the (very polite) woman who offered you her seat, but if no one does in that case, get the bus driver. Or just get other guests involved. I know even if I was off duty I would try the best I can to make sure those seats get used by those who need them.

alilance

my mother needs a wheelchair...for knee problems..and my wife for severe asthma problems....trust me the special entrances are a SMALL benefit for this...they would MUCH rather walk around the parks..it is a MAJOR inconvieniece for them and ME to have them in a wheelchair..so the little advatages you may get...it is not worth it.(to fake it i mean)
I absolutely agree with you! My mom was in a wheelchair our last trip because she has cancer and she would only use the wheelchair when she was feeling really weak because it was kinda a pain to get the wheelchair and maneuver it around the crowds in the park. (we actually couldn't get one at Epcot and they would call our cell phone when one was available - poor Dad had to leave the world showcase and walk to the front of the park :() I really hope people don't take advantage of the situation! Not worth it!! Plus, it sucks to have to wait for a wheelchair when someone really needed it as with my mom :cry:!

disneydudette

Can someone clarify something for me?

Does the GAC give "front of the line acess" to just that one person, or to the entire party traveling with that person.

From the way K.Hunter30 first started this thread, I was given the impression that the GAC gives the "disabled" person acess to the front of the line to wait for the rest of the party in the stand by queue. But as I read on, it seems like ALL members traveling with the disabled party gets "front of the line acess". Any clarification?

K.Hunter30, next time your in a Borders skim through Disney's Passport for special needs, from what I've read on other forums, it has some fantastic information for guests traveling to the parks with disabilities and use of the GAC card.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom