Pre-Trip Guess Who Has Two Thumbs and is Going Back to Disney?

I'm SOOO excited to officially announce that after 4 long years I will be returning back to Disney! I had known the possibility for a few months now, but I was afraid to put it out into the universe until we actually booked. Long story short, but there have been several trips that I got all excited about that never actually turned into fruition.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Melissa or Mel for short. I won't disclose my age, but lets just say I'm older than I look lol. I wrote my first trip report for my last trip (Aug 2016) and you can find it here if you like. For the First Time in Forever!- August 2016 Trip Report

14141593_10157421538725360_5756257624915912555_n.jpg

On my last trip it was me, my brother Matt, my Mom and Dad, and my sister Steph and now BIL Steve. Spoiler alert for my last trip report, Steph and Steve got engaged on our last visit. (If you want to read all about it, check out the trip report- Haha Shameless plug!) This time around it's going to be just me, my parents, and Matt. We just booked earlier this afternoon so here is what we have so far.

WDWRESORTSANDMORE_CHEFMICKEY1_20160828_7785809834.jpeg

Aug 18-19th- Room only reservation at Pop Century. We are planning on flying in mid afternoon/ early evening (still waiting for flights to be released). We aren't renting a car this time (more on that another time) so we are using Magical Express. We figure we can arrive, settle in to our rooms, maybe grab a swim, a bite to eat, and possibly a trip to Disney Springs or another resort. We can hit the ground running the next morning. Oh yea... We are all cramming in one room the first night. My Dad has been told he must bring his sleep apnea mask so he doesn't keep us all awake that night like the last trip.

Aug 19th-26th- Splitting into two rooms at Pop for the rest of our stay. We have 7 day Park Hopper Plus tickets and we are doing the standard dining plan w/ Memory Maker.

That's all we have so far! We always stay at a Value and our last trip was All Star Movies. We stayed at Pop in 2008 and loved it, so after doing the math we feel like the addition of the Skyliner makes the difference in price worth it to us.

Next step is analyzing the crowd calendars to start to determine a loose idea of which park we plan to spending the most in on which days. From there I can start figuring out our dining options. (I'm in charge of trip planning if you couldn't already tell). We have a few past favorites that have already been requested (BOG, O'Hana breakfast, Chef Mickey's) and we know that we definitely want to give Teppan Edo a try, I'll have to look at dining menus and see what has changed and what has things that everyone will eat. I can't believe I only have a little more than a month until I have to make ADRs!

I'll post more updates over the next few days (mainly updating how things have changed in our family from 2016 to now) but I just couldn't wait to officially announce that I"M GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!!!

Last edited:

ELeigh

Congrats and happy planning! My next WDW trip is in September so I will be counting down with you :) Try to get refurb rooms at Pop they are super nice.

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
So now that the initial high of actually booking the trip is starting to wear off, the next step is the planning! Since my 2016 trip a lot has changed in my life as it tends to do, I'll just run down the highlights.

-My sister Stephanie got married to her husband Steve in Oct 2018. As I mentioned before they got engaged on our last Disney trip. I originally was trying to squeeze a solo trip in before their wedding, but I just couldn't make it happen with all the wedding stuff I needed to save up for! They just bought a house in August, so unfortunately a trip to Disney is not in their budget anytime soon. We will miss them on this trip.

-I'm no longer working as a Pre-K teacher. This past March I left the field for many reasons and started working in a doctor's office as a medical biller. I'm currently a little worried because long story short things are changing a lot at my job and its time to start looking for another position which I hope is not going to impact my vacation plans!

- In June 2018 I became an Aunt for the first time. My other brother Sammy who hasn't been to Disney with us in years and his wife had a baby girl named Madelyn. I may biased, but she is simply the most beautiful, funniest, smartest little girl I know. She'll be two by the time we go to Disney in August and even though she's still a bit young we did try to convince my brother and his wife to at least join us for a few days. Maddie is just getting to the age where shes starting to recognize Disney characters and make connections to her toys and seeing them on TV. In fact, she's beginning to develop "Frozen fever" and for Christmas she got the singing Elsa doll. She now sits down in her little chair with all her Frozen dolls and when Let it Go comes on she presses the button on Elsa so the doll sings along with the movie. Anyway they declined our offer, but with good reason..... Maddie is getting a little brother at the end of March! My Mom and I have both decided we may need to bring an extra suitcase for all the presents we plan on bringing back for the two of them lol

-Finally, also in June 2018 my family went through one of the most scary experiences we've ever had. My Mom suffered from a major heart attack and if she hadn't listened to her body and told us to take her to the hospital when she did, things may have ended very differently. Thankfully she has done an amazing job at bouncing back and knock on wood everything continues to look good for her. Needless to say we are opting on renting her an ECV on this trip. Last trip she was in a wheelchair because of her knees (she had just had knee surgery) and that worked out well for her. this time she doesn't want any of us to worry about pushing her and thinks an ECV will be more comfortable for her. We are planning on renting from an outside company and having it delivered to the resort. Does anyone have experience with this and can reccommend a good company to use?

So anyway now the fun begins! The other night I renewed my Touring Plans subscription and I took a look at the crowd calendars. I'm beginning to fine tune a loose idea of which park we want to be our primary focus each day. I'll share my initial plans soon. Then I have to start thinking about ADRs. I can't believe I already have to start booking them this time next month!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So now that the initial high of actually booking the trip is starting to wear off, the next step is the planning! Since my 2016 trip a lot has changed in my life as it tends to do, I'll just run down the highlights.

-My sister Stephanie got married to her husband Steve in Oct 2018. As I mentioned before they got engaged on our last Disney trip. I originally was trying to squeeze a solo trip in before their wedding, but I just couldn't make it happen with all the wedding stuff I needed to save up for! They just bought a house in August, so unfortunately a trip to Disney is not in their budget anytime soon. We will miss them on this trip.

-I'm no longer working as a Pre-K teacher. This past March I left the field for many reasons and started working in a doctor's office as a medical biller. I'm currently a little worried because long story short things are changing a lot at my job and its time to start looking for another position which I hope is not going to impact my vacation plans!

- In June 2018 I became an Aunt for the first time. My other brother Sammy who hasn't been to Disney with us in years and his wife had a baby girl named Madelyn. I may biased, but she is simply the most beautiful, funniest, smartest little girl I know. She'll be two by the time we go to Disney in August and even though she's still a bit young we did try to convince my brother and his wife to at least join us for a few days. Maddie is just getting to the age where shes starting to recognize Disney characters and make connections to her toys and seeing them on TV. In fact, she's beginning to develop "Frozen fever" and for Christmas she got the singing Elsa doll. She now sits down in her little chair with all her Frozen dolls and when Let it Go comes on she presses the button on Elsa so the doll sings along with the movie. Anyway they declined our offer, but with good reason..... Maddie is getting a little brother at the end of March! My Mom and I have both decided we may need to bring an extra suitcase for all the presents we plan on bringing back for the two of them lol

-Finally, also in June 2018 my family went through one of the most scary experiences we've ever had. My Mom suffered from a major heart attack and if she hadn't listened to her body and told us to take her to the hospital when she did, things may have ended very differently. Thankfully she has done an amazing job at bouncing back and knock on wood everything continues to look good for her. Needless to say we are opting on renting her an ECV on this trip. Last trip she was in a wheelchair because of her knees (she had just had knee surgery) and that worked out well for her. this time she doesn't want any of us to worry about pushing her and thinks an ECV will be more comfortable for her. We are planning on renting from an outside company and having it delivered to the resort. Does anyone have experience with this and can reccommend a good company to use?

So anyway now the fun begins! The other night I renewed my Touring Plans subscription and I took a look at the crowd calendars. I'm beginning to fine tune a loose idea of which park we want to be our primary focus each day. I'll share my initial plans soon. Then I have to start thinking about ADRs. I can't believe I already have to start booking them this time next month!

Yikes, a lot has been going on. I'm glad to hear that things are settling down for your family.

As for the ECV rental, I have no information to share. However, I "think" there's one company that WDW contracts with. Perhaps try the WDW web site, and I'm sure there will be information on ECVs there.

Also, there has been multiple threads here on WDWMagic about ECV rentals. I might also suggest that you do a "search" on this forum for the latest thread on that. As I recall, it was rather comprehensive.

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
I can't believe that it is already February and I have to book our airline flights and our ADRs this month! Is it crazy that I actually bought a new laptop for the occasion because my old one started acting up. I think the fan was going on it because it started making strange noises and it was freezing up on me. I had nightmares of being up at the crack of dawn to book ,my ADRs and it freezing up on me so by the time it got going everything I wanted was already taken. I know... Pretty unlikely, but just in case I didn't want to take any chances and it was time for an upgrade anyway.

So I think I have a tentative itinerary planned out for our trip with our TS meals I want to book, Card is subject to change based on ADR availability, Halloween party dates, and projected crowd predictions. It's already been changed at least once lol. This seemed so much easier back in 2016, but SO much has changed I admit that I'm kind of nervous. I'm basing our plans on spending two days in MK, 1 1/2-2 days in Epcot, 1 in DHS, 1 in AK, and 1 flex day where we can choose to do whatever we feel like. I'm trying to leave some wiggle room especially because we may need an extra day in DHS due to SWL. Anyway so here is our current plan.

Tues Aug 18th- Arrival day. Hopefully booking an early- mid afternoon flight and arriving in Orlando early evening. Hopping on Magic Express. Checking in to Pop Century. Get settled and possibly take a swim. Dinner at food court or possibly going to Disney Springs to eat and window shop.

Wed Aug 19th- DHS (projected crowd level 5/10) TS meal Mama Melrose's. (We ate here on our last trip and everyone loved it and honestly I don't feel like DHS really has a lot of amazing TS restaurants. We've done the 50's Prime Time and Sci Fi Drive in at least 2-3 times each before,)

Thurs Aug 20th- MK - (projected crowd level 5/10)- TS meal Liberty Tree Tavern. We've never ate here before so I'm looking forward to it. We were going to do BOG but looking at the pre fixe menu I wasn't crazy about it and my brother is a picky eater. Last time we went I think he was able to order a grilled cheese. I like the idea of the family style meal and my brother will at least try the turkey and maybe the pot roast. If all else fails he'll eat the mac and cheese.

Friday Aug 21st- Epcot- (projected crowd level 4/10)- TS meal- Teppan Edo. Another new place for us. We enjoy hibachi food and even though I've heard the show is a bit more rushed than your local hibachi restaurant it offers a little variety to our meals.

Sat Aug 22nd- Epcot (projected crowds 4/10)- TS meal Via Napoli. I've always wanted to try this and between the Italian food and the individual pizzas everyone will find something they like here.

Sun Aug 23rd- AK (projected crowd level 4/10)- TS meal Rainforest Cafe. Not the most exciting restaurant, but AK is a tricky park because a lot of the TS restaurants offer a more exotic offering. Rain forest Cafe worked well for us last time and everyone found something they liked there. I was told this needs to be back on the list again.

Mon Aug 24th- Catch up day. I'm leaving this open to hop back to some of the other parks to catch up any missed attractions. This is also an opportunity to visit a water park. We honestly don't really ever do a day where we strictly stay a resort, so I'm sure we'll wind up somewhere. This is our idea of a break lol. TS Meal - Character Breakfast at O'Hana. A must do on every Disney trip in the past 20 years. This will be my 6th time I think. It's a tradition.

Tues Aug 25th- MK (projected crowds 1/10) I always like to end our trip up with the MK. Unfortunately, it is rumored that there may be a Halloween Party that night. My plan is to book dinner at Chef Mickey's for about 6:30ish. That way if the party is going on we can go right to dinner and if there's time go to another park if we want. Or if there isn't a party we can head back to MK.

Wed- Aug 26th- Departure day. Try to book an afternoon flight so we are not rushed in the morning and allows extra time for the Magic EXpress.

That's where we stand now. I don't think I'll have too hard of a time with my ADR choices but I'll be up early just in case. Let's see how much this changes before August lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom