Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

Thelazer

1. We travel back through the portal Eson created, and the Guardians follow us (pre launch)
  2. Almost instantly, they knock the Cosmic Generator out of Eson's hand and grab it with their ship's tractor beam (pre launch)
  3. It turns out that the void we were in was before the universe even began; the Big Bang happens, propelling us into the backwards launch
  4. Eson is now chasing the Guardians through time and space, with us tagging along for the ride, as Rocket opens new jump gates with the Generator trying to get back to the present day
Points 1 thru 4 are lost on most folks riding this thing.

It's a coster, in the dark... that's about it.
Could have been SOOOO much more.

Epcot82Guy

Points 1 thru 4 are lost on most folks riding this thing.

It's a coster, in the dark... that's about it.
Could have been SOOOO much more.

I was actually just talking to a friend who is in town visiting WDW. She had an idea that - while 1000% pandering - actually would have been much better. She was only following the original D23 announcement. So she thought we were going to be sent back to Peter's Epcot, and then we got sent back to the big bang (as a UoE tie in) as the "something went wrong". We then were trying to get back to modern day, with a couple of misses along the way.

Honestly, as simple as it was, I think that would have made for a much better, simpler story for the attraction, been just as fun and - in a fan service way - even fit a bit better.

EDIT: Just thinking about it - I could envision any number of scripts where Peter and Rocket get into the "Big Bang", "Ding Dang", "Big Bang", "Piggy Bank?" exchange as an Easter Egg. And the system misunderstands, sending them back to the Big Bang vs. 80s UoE. There's a lot of fun they could have had making this more a love letter to classic Epcot vs. stand alone Marvel attraction with an odd story.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

1. We travel back through the portal Eson created, and the Guardians follow us (pre launch)
  2. Almost instantly, they knock the Cosmic Generator out of Eson's hand and grab it with their ship's tractor beam (pre launch)
  3. It turns out that the void we were in was before the universe even began; the Big Bang happens, propelling us into the backwards launch
  4. Eson is now chasing the Guardians through time and space, with us tagging along for the ride, as Rocket opens new jump gates with the Generator trying to get back to the present day
  5. Eventually, the Nova Corps show up and restrain Eson with their grid of ships (before the moon section).
  6. Since he's no longer chasing us, the Guardians are free to take us and the Generator back to EPCOT.
I think you're illustrating how confusing the story is here, because I'm not sure this is right.

The Guardians don't grab the Generator pre-launch, because Gamora announces DURING the launch that they have to get it because it's their only way back - which also makes no sense. How did the Guardians get to the past without a Generator? They couldn't have gone through the same portal we did, because the whole premise is that we needed to hurry through the portal before it closed since the Guardians were too far away. And since time isn't an issue (this is time travel, after all), why didn't the GotG get a Generator before... somehow... teleporting back in time? And why is Gamora worried about getting home at all, because we know the Nova Corps will be following us, and they apparently have lots and lots of Generators to spare?

I don't think the explosion that propels guests backwards is the Big Bang, it's... something that happens when the Guardians run into the generator. In any case, I believe the Big Bang takes place in the gravity building AFTER the launch. The pre-launch section takes place at some point between the "present" and the Bang, since Quill clearly says we are being sent "back," and thus the pre-launch can't be the pre-Bang void.

And none of this explains why Eson steals Earth itself and sends it into a portal, a plot element that is never explained or resolved.

It's genuinely one of the worst written rides in Disney history.

BubbaisSleep

The Guardians grab the generator immediately after the backwards launch & continue to have it the remainder of the ride. It’s the first screen projection scene & Rocket yells “got it” or something similar. Which probably explains why the backwards launch feature cosmic lights instead of a time jump since we’re blasting away from the Big Bang & do not have the generator yet.

The Big Bang part was confusing to me but I suppose the explanation by Giss Neric makes sense. I thought it was just an explosion from the generator at first.

Casper Gutman

The Guardians grab the generator immediately after the backwards launch & continue to have it the remainder of the ride. It’s the first screen projection scene & Rocket yells “got it” or something similar. Which probably explains why the backwards launch feature cosmic lights instead of a time jump since we’re blasting away from the Big Bang & do not have the generator yet.

The Big Bang part was confusing to me but I suppose the explanation by Giss Neric makes sense. I thought it was just an explosion from the generator at first.
It has to be a Generator explosion, because Quill says during the launch that we are going “all the way back,” so the pre-launch sequence takes place some time AFTER the Big Bang. The Bang is in the gravity building.

If the Big Bang is a central element in your ride, it sort of feels like it should be clear when in the ride it takes place - it should be a major, really cool effect.

TimeTrip

Got to ride yesterday. I didn't bother to try at 7am because I didn't want to get there early in the day. Given reports during the week, there would be ample time to grab VQ at 1pm. Arrived at 12:40, with a surprising (to me) amount of cars pulling in. We had to park back in create 50. Anyways, hopped over to the land for a quick snack. At 1pm grabbed a VQ spot to return at 2:15. Hung around the Land for a bit, then checked out merch at Creations. Boarding time was updated to 2:19. Then, while looking at the Connections Cafe (I was super surprised HALF of the space was a Starbucks facing the central area!), and got notification to get on line at 2:05.

Waited 30 minutes to get to the first pre-show, and were in the cars after 45 total minutes. Some thoughts:
  • I really enjoyed the queue and theming. Some have compared it to Space Mountain, to which I say.. yeah OK, but there is way more going on here.
  • The best piece of the queue was the "interview" piece where the various members are getting interviewed. The only issue is that you really don't get a chance to watch a lot of it because of the speed of the line... especially when a group stops to watch, leaving a large gap that they need to fill, and everyone fills and you sorta feel obligated to move past it quickly.
  • First pre-show, we were way in the front, and that was a bit neck-straining, as you need to look high to see Nova prime
  • The second pre-show, we were again near the front (but directed to stand inside the white dots). Given that there were visuals on the ceiling, we turned around. It kind of messed up the BIG reveal when the walls disappear since we were facing the wrong way. A cool effect, but felt Poseidon did it way better.
  • Someone mentioned the funnel. Yeah, it's not great, and I also don't like how it is on HM. They really ought to stagger it so the line for the coaster itself ends after the funnel.
  • The story... is... pretty bad. The 2nd pre-show set it up well... but I think everything fell apart on the ride itself. The dialogue was hard to hear before the launch and after. The ride itself has so much going on that I was enjoying the RIDE and MOTIONS, and sort noticed that "there are people talking in the background". I've been enjoying the banter on this thread specifically as people try to reason out exactly what was happening.
  • The on-ride screen visuals were really good, but I was enjoying the ride itself so much that I wasn't paying close enough attention to parse what exactly was going on. Next time, maybe I'll do better, but I was having so much FUN it didn't matter.
  • Yes I was having FUN, but the little planet things stuck out to me as pretty goofy.
  • I'm not prone to motion sickness, but I could sense why folks might be done for the day if they're sensitive to it. There are a lot of unusual motions that could throw people for a loop.
Overall, I loved it, and can't wait to ride it again. If I could only ride 1 ride at WDW today, this would be it.... for now. A year for now, my perception may change, but I want to ride it RIGHT NOW. Something I couldn't say about RotR. When I rode that, I was like "Hey that's cool.. what's the wait looking like for Tower of Terror?".

I expect Cosmic Rewind to remain my favorite at Epcot for a long time, though I would probably grow weary of the pre-shows.

mergatroid

Got to ride yesterday. I didn't bother to try at 7am because I didn't want to get there early in the day. Given reports during the week, there would be ample time to grab VQ at 1pm. Arrived at 12:40, with a surprising (to me) amount of cars pulling in. We had to park back in create 50. Anyways, hopped over to the land for a quick snack. At 1pm grabbed a VQ spot to return at 2:15. Hung around the Land for a bit, then checked out merch at Creations. Boarding time was updated to 2:19. Then, while looking at the Connections Cafe (I was super surprised HALF of the space was a Starbucks facing the central area!), and got notification to get on line at 2:05.

Waited 30 minutes to get to the first pre-show, and were in the cars after 45 total minutes. Some thoughts:
  • I really enjoyed the queue and theming. Some have compared it to Space Mountain, to which I say.. yeah OK, but there is way more going on here.
  • The best piece of the queue was the "interview" piece where the various members are getting interviewed. The only issue is that you really don't get a chance to watch a lot of it because of the speed of the line... especially when a group stops to watch, leaving a large gap that they need to fill, and everyone fills and you sorta feel obligated to move past it quickly.
  • First pre-show, we were way in the front, and that was a bit neck-straining, as you need to look high to see Nova prime
  • The second pre-show, we were again near the front (but directed to stand inside the white dots). Given that there were visuals on the ceiling, we turned around. It kind of messed up the BIG reveal when the walls disappear since we were facing the wrong way. A cool effect, but felt Poseidon did it way better.
  • Someone mentioned the funnel. Yeah, it's not great, and I also don't like how it is on HM. They really ought to stagger it so the line for the coaster itself ends after the funnel.
  • The story... is... pretty bad. The 2nd pre-show set it up well... but I think everything fell apart on the ride itself. The dialogue was hard to hear before the launch and after. The ride itself has so much going on that I was enjoying the RIDE and MOTIONS, and sort noticed that "there are people talking in the background". I've been enjoying the banter on this thread specifically as people try to reason out exactly what was happening.
  • The on-ride screen visuals were really good, but I was enjoying the ride itself so much that I wasn't paying close enough attention to parse what exactly was going on. Next time, maybe I'll do better, but I was having so much FUN it didn't matter.
  • Yes I was having FUN, but the little planet things stuck out to me as pretty goofy.
  • I'm not prone to motion sickness, but I could sense why folks might be done for the day if they're sensitive to it. There are a lot of unusual motions that could throw people for a loop.
Overall, I loved it, and can't wait to ride it again. If I could only ride 1 ride at WDW today, this would be it.... for now. A year for now, my perception may change, but I want to ride it RIGHT NOW. Something I couldn't say about RotR. When I rode that, I was like "Hey that's cool.. what's the wait looking like for Tower of Terror?".

I expect Cosmic Rewind to remain my favorite at Epcot for a long time, though I would probably grow weary of the pre-shows.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

TimeTrip

BTW, does anyone have an updated layout of the launch building that maybe mixes the 1st and 2nd floors i.e. from the guest experience ? After having been on it, everything in the dark purple shaded area feels wrong to me, especially since the lines "ramp up" from the entrance to what could be considered the 2nd floor pretty quickly.
The exit path also seems wrong to me.

1654551098643.png

ETA: better wording for "purple shaded area" to reduce possible confusion with the purple path for the train.

Last edited:

correcaminos

I know a few here have debunked this, but, are we sure??

4 rides on the right: 2 September 2 One Way Or Another
3 rides on the left: 2 Everybody wants to rule the world, 1 Conga
Can 100% debunk sides. Rode 2x and had Conga both times. First ride was from the left, 2nd ride was from the right.
Side note——

If you have a boarding group, and you need to use a DAS pass for someone in your group (we had a teenager with autism), you can just tell the CM at the front that you need a DAS for it once your boarding group time is open. They’ll let you in the lightning lane line.
My experience was that you had to go to a CM under a tent near the front, but off to the side. They wiped our BG#s and gave us a LL return for immediately. Not like Remy was where you just go to the LL line. Tonight with the way the ride had a break between BGs called, I wouldn't have needed it.

disneygeek90

Can 100% debunk sides. Rode 2x and had Conga both times. First ride was from the left, 2nd ride was from the right.

My experience was that you had to go to a CM under a tent near the front, but off to the side. They wiped our BG#s and gave us a LL return for immediately. Not like Remy was where you just go to the LL line. Tonight with the way the ride had a break between BGs called, I wouldn't have needed it.
Thanks for the confirmation! I had I Ran tonight for the first time on the right side so was extra curious. That’s some interesting odds.

No Name

BTW, does anyone have an updated layout of the launch building that maybe mixes the 1st and 2nd floors i.e. from the guest experience ? After having been on it, everything in purple feels wrong to me, especially since the lines "ramp up" from the entrance to what could be considered the 2nd floor pretty quickly.
The exit path also seems wrong to me.

View attachment 644037
What’s wrong with the purple? It looks 100% accurate to me. I’m not sure what the lines ramping up has to do with anything.

MagicHappens1971

They changed to this process after about the first week. I’m not sure if this will be permanent either

correcaminos

Thanks for the confirmation! I had I Ran tonight for the first time on the right side so was extra curious. That’s some interesting odds.
I get it! I was curious myself and think it's funny I got my favorite song out of the bunch 2x now which helped confirm. But crazy I had it 2 for 2.
They changed to this process after about the first week. I’m not sure if this will be permanent either
I personally had missed it so was a bit shocked last night. Under normal circumstances it seems fine though weird to make that extra step. Last night the main queue was walk on too and really unneeded

TimeTrip

What’s wrong with the purple? It looks 100% accurate to me. I’m not sure what the lines ramping up has to do with anything.
For one, it doesn't really cover the zig zagging the VQ does, or allow for the various "items and displays" in line. Next, it doesn't have the main room where nova prime talks from above... Or it might, but the door markings seem in accurate.

Then I thought it was a straight shot to the next room where it was a "oval of lights" versus a circle. Once the walls were lifted it was rectangular and everyone exitted through doors on the right. I can't see where that happens on the plans.

Then there was a longer hallway (than on the plans) before turning right than I can make out on the image. Beyond that the tweet from which this image came had a 2nd floor image where the preshow would allegedly exit to.. but I don't remember zigzagging at all. It was 2nd preshow, exit through the doors on the right.. walk a bit.. turn right.. funnel then the loading area was on the left. Turn left and you're going over the track then start descending.

The plans try to hint at 1 pre show duped for VQ vs ILL, but I don't see that as possible at all, especially since there are 2 actual distinct preshows. It makes me wonder if everything in that purple section is "off stage" rooms and such. Guests essentially walk up one floor in the first section of the queue and maybe we're "above" the purple section in the plans .

DonaldDoleWhip

Joining the spoiler fun, now that I’ve made it on 6x over three days.

Interestingly, I’ve gotten three songs, twice each: “September,” “One Way or Another,” and “Everybody Wants to Rule the World.” All fantastic, danceable experiences, but I really want Conga at least once.

As someone who’s been to all 12 parks, as well as UOR (have hit both Hagrid’s and VelociCoaster) and two Six Flags, this is now my favorite ride anywhere. It’s the best of Space Mountain, Rock n’ Roller Coaster, and Mission Breakout, along with some signature Guardians humor (I fell in love with MB before having even seen one Marvel film).

For me, it’s not scary at all, but it’s still the most fun ride experience I’ve ever had. Would be even better if the pre-shows were shorter or skippable, but it’s nice that they honor the Epcot of yore.

Elements of it even look like Tron, which is unfortunate for Tron as it’s going to feel underwhelming in comparison. Tron has zip, a unique ride vehicle, and cool glowing lights; Cosmic Rewind does everything else better.

Will keep riding until I get more songs, but overall this one opening has done so much to make Epcot feel more complete. I’ve got no desire to further nitpick it, as it sparks pure jubilance unlike any other WDW ride.

Also, rebuild both Space Mountain and RnRC now; they’re completely redundant in their current states.

Last edited:

TimeTrip

Elements of it even look like Tron, which is unfortunate for Tron as it’s going to feel underwhelming in comparison. Tron has zip, a unique ride vehicle, and cool glowing lights; Cosmic Rewind does everything else better.
I forgot to comment about this. With the ride length and everything else considered, Tron is going to feel like such a let-down IMO.

Bocabear

Having ridden Tron in Shanghai, and then this weekend got to experience GOTG, yes...Tron is going to seem like a letdown by comparison...It is a one-trick pony. Did I enjoy it at the time? Absolutely!
I enjoyed it, though it felt very very short.... I felt like the ride was hampered by the brake blocks at every turn.
It is fun to ride a coaster like a motorcycle, but GOTG delivers a much more impressive experience overall.

DonaldDoleWhip

Having ridden Tron in Shanghai, and then this weekend got to experience GOTG, yes...Tron is going to seem like a letdown by comparison...It is a one-trick pony. Did I enjoy it at the time? Absolutely!
I enjoyed it, though it felt very very short.... I felt like the ride was hampered by the brake blocks at every turn.
It is fun to ride a coaster like a motorcycle, but GOTG delivers a much more impressive experience overall.
Exactly, I liked Tron enough to ride it 5 times in a day. It’s a blast in its own right (super short standby waits helped, which will never be the case at MK).

Add in the same virtual queue shenanigans or 2-3 hour waits, and it’s not nearly as fun.

On the contrary with Ratatouille, it’s a much better experience in a park where it’s no longer the must-see headliner. That was a little ridiculous. Today I waited 40 minutes in standby for it and probably enjoyed it more than ever, with my previous ride being Cosmic Rewind. Such a mood booster.

Omega Centauri

I love the Guardians films, and the ride doesn't feel like it really features them at all.
Yeah about that, there's an elephant in the room here I'm surprised no one has brought up yet. I blame all of that on copyright BS since Universal still holds the Florida theme park rights to like 90% of the Marvel cast in perpetuity, not to mention the weird ways they decide what "counts" as an Avenger character/X-Men character/Fantastic Four character etc. The Kree first showed up in Fantastic Four #65 and Ego the Living Planet was Thor #132, so they couldn't even mention the specific events of their own films. In short, they took the table scraps they were left with and did with it what they could, hoping no one would notice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom