Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

Hawg G

Cosmic Rewind is a phenomenally designed and paced coaster by itself. If it was outside it would still be arguably one of the best non-looping coaster in the world, but there isn't a ride (including TRON) where projections and scale add so much.

The music is also fantastic, but that doesn't sell this ride; it's the way you're flying around space in such a satisfying fashion. I've been to every Disney park in the world, but this was mind-blowing. It's also very, very long, which is much appreciated.

It shouldn't be understated. This is up there with Hagrid's, Velocicoaster, Rise, Shanghai Pirates, and FoP for most technically flooring attractions.

I'd put Ratatouille as the second-best ride in the park after Guardians, so for me at least, EPCOT's redo has been a massive success. Obviously, it's different than what it was originally, but it hasn't been that way since the 90s.
You’re joking with this hyperbole, right?

Hawg G

When you rode it did you get the impression that loads of people were judging it based on it's price, or just enjoying a really good attraction? ;)

My guess is they were all very happy to actually be riding a new major ride at Epcot, ignorant to the fact the reason the park gets so few rides is the astronomical price Disney spends on them for many features that don’t impact the ride experience.

bhg469

My guess is they were all very happy to actually be riding a new major ride at Epcot, ignorant to the fact the reason the park gets so few rides is the astronomical price Disney spends on them for many features that don’t impact the ride experience.
The guests have the following to look forward to... Tron, a refurb of a beloved attraction, and fancy water fountains.. The typical Disney guest will eat it up.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
You’re joking with this hyperbole, right?
I try to have a good time at theme parks. Except for GMR to Mickey, I've preferred every new addition to the parks to what was there before (or better yet, rides like FoP & Ratatouille that were expansions).

EPCOT is easily my favorite Disney Park in Orlando at the moment even with the hub being unfinished (and Figment being in its current state). It's only second to Islands of Adventure for me.

I can spend 2 full days at EPCOT taking in the park slowly and seeing all it has to offer. While AK gets the upper hand on theming (easily the best in the states), EPCOT feels very DisneySea in the regard of how much depth there is.

MK has a ton of rides, but most are outdated, and it lacks exceptional ones with the park as a whole paling in comparison to other "castle parks" around the world. You also don't have to wait in 90+ minute lines like every ride at HWS has which is absurd. You can space things out at EPCOT. I like that.

Cosmic Rewind is phenomenal, and I'll say that my praise goes beyond just Orlando. It's an absolute blast, jaw-dropping, and meticulously paced.

The controlled motion of the vehicles paired with the scale of it make it not even feel like a coaster at times. It's Space Mountain times 100x1000. And to be honest, it feels like we got a Xandar Pavilion at EPCOT with the Big Bang Coaster. The Guardians just gave it an excuse to have a great soundtrack. It's a blast!

Have you been on it?

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I try to have a good time at theme parks. Except for GMR to Mickey, I've preferred every new addition to the parks to what was there before (or better yet, rides like FoP & Ratatouille that were expansions).

EPCOT is easily my favorite Disney Park in Orlando at the moment even with the hub being unfinished (and Figment being in its current state). It's only second to Islands of Adventure for me.

I can spend 2 full days at EPCOT taking in the park slowly and seeing all it has to offer. While AK gets the upper hand on theming (easily the best in the states), EPCOT feels very DisneySea in the regard of how much depth there is.

MK has a ton of rides, but most are outdated, and it lacks exceptional ones with the park as a whole paling in comparison to other "castle parks" around the world. You also don't have to wait in 90+ minute lines like every ride at HWS has which is absurd. You can space things out at EPCOT. I like that.

Cosmic Rewind is phenomenal, and I'll say that my praise goes beyond just Orlando. It's an absolute blast, jaw-dropping, and meticulously paced.

The controlled motion of the vehicles paired with the scale of it make it not even feel like a coaster at times. It's Space Mountain times 100x1000. And to be honest, it feels like we got a Xandar Pavilion at EPCOT with the Big Bang Coaster. The Guardians just gave it an excuse to have a great soundtrack. It's a blast!

Have you been on it?

Don’t mind them. They aren’t happy unless everyone else is also miserable.

I am glad you love the attraction, it truly does look spectacular! A lot of the reviews and accounts I’ve found through YouTube and other sources have a lot of people agreeing with you, seeing many say best ride on Disney property.

Andrew25

Has anyone tried entering the queue with an expired boarding group? I got called at ~10:00AM and probably won't be able to get to the park until 7:00PM.

Vtlsgns2

Have you been on it?

I felt like we weren’t on a track. It’s phenomenal, I agree.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is it just me, or does this look/feel more like a Universal ride than a Disney ride? It's the screens, the movie tie-in, and the design. It's not a criticism of the ride, but more an observation about what Disney is trying to be and where they're taking their inspiration from.
The uses of "SCREENZ" that people are dismayed about is usually in reference to 4D theaters and simulators, not simply the use of TV screens or projectors (although, Nemo is an example of such things used poorly).

Uni tripled down on them while WDW had relatively few.

Using such large projections on a coaster is a far cry from a 'flying theater' (Simpsons, Fallon) or the simulated motion of F&F or Kong. So, yes, it's a big screen like you find in Uni, but the difference is that you're actually on a somewhat thrilling ride with Cosmic Rewind and the motion isn't simulated.

Jenny72

I think you may be lumping me in with some other people's complaints about simulators, which is not what I mean. It's just my own impression about the style of the presentation and the pre-shows, etc. I guess it's the nature of the IP, too, which feels a bit different than the Mr. Toad/Snow White/Swiss Family variety. It's just not how *I* think of Disney rides. Maybe I'm stuck in the past. No, yeah, I definitely am. Sigh.

Casper Gutman

I think you may be lumping me in with some other people's complaints about simulators, which is not what I mean. It's just my own impression about the style of the presentation and the pre-shows, etc. I guess it's the nature of the IP, too, which feels a bit different than the Mr. Toad/Snow White/Swiss Family variety. It's just not how *I* think of Disney rides. Maybe I'm stuck in the past. No, yeah, I definitely am. Sigh.
Actually, it feels like an OLD Universal ride, not one of the ones they are currently building. With its multiple screen-based previews and emphasis on physical thrills over theming, it feels like what Disney fans (somewhat accurately) accused Universal of offering before IOA and, particularly, the Potter-lands saw Universal arguably surpass Disney in their dedication to deep, foundation-up theming and intricate detail.

And I love that, since Disney has turned very heavily to SCREENZ, we now have to heavily modify that complaint so it contorts to sort of fit Universal and not Disney. The multiple, cost-cut preshows of Rewind are, by any definition, an example of the overuse of SCREENZ when other effects, particularly AAs as originally promised, would have been far superior.

Amidala

Haven't ridden yet (may head over to Epcot later this week and try for a boarding pass then) but nervous since I'm a huge baby about launches. Don't care so much that it's backwards, more concerned with how quickly it accelerates. Any thoughts on how this launch measures up to RNR? It's the only ride at WDW I avoid like the plague — all other coasters (Everest, Slinky, etc.) are fine. Would hate to miss out on the fun but I think I'm starting to psych myself out.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Haven't ridden yet (may head over to Epcot later this week and try for a boarding pass then) but nervous since I'm a huge baby about launches. Don't care so much that it's backwards, more concerned with how quickly it accelerates. Any thoughts on how this launch measures up to RNR? It's the only ride at WDW I avoid like the plague — all other coasters (Everest, Slinky, etc.) are fine. Would hate to miss out on the fun but I think I'm starting to psych myself out.
If you're fine with the backwards portion of Everest, you'll do good with Guardians. Guardian's launch felt less intense than RnRC's (to me). Hope you give it a try, the ride is a lot of fun.

SplashJacket

Guardians launch is very tame.

For RNRC they tell you to keep your head back firmly in the headrest.

If you’re launched backwards there’s no headrest to cushion your head during the acceleration.

It’s way more tame. Go and give it a try! It’s a phenomenal attraction.

bhg469

As a coaster baby myself.. The launch is much much much less intense than Rock n Roller coaster. The reverse launch doesn't last too long either and the car rotates to a sideways motion pretty quickly after. The intensity level of it is a very smooth space mountain. Don't sweat this ride at all.

Amidala

If you're fine with the backwards portion of Everest, you'll do good with Guardians. Guardian's launch felt less intense than RnRC's (to me). Hope you give it a try, the ride is a lot of fun.

Guardians launch is very tame.

For RNRC they tell you to keep your head back firmly in the headrest.

If you’re launched backwards there’s no headrest to cushion your head during the acceleration.

It’s way more tame. Go and give it a try! It’s a phenomenal attraction.

As a coaster baby myself.. The launch is much much much less intense than Rock n Roller coaster. The reverse launch doesn't last too long either and the car rotates to a sideways motion pretty quickly after. The intensity level of it is a very smooth space mountain. Don't sweat this ride at all.

Thanks everyone! We'll be at Epcot this Friday so maybe I'll be brave enough to give it a shot. I wish the Wiki would update with the acceleration speed, since seeing numbers usually calms me a lot!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thanks everyone! We'll be at Epcot this Friday so maybe I'll be brave enough to give it a shot. I wish the Wiki would update with the acceleration speed, since seeing numbers usually calms me a lot!
Given the length of the track and the time it takes to traverse it, the average speed of the vehicle is 25 mph.

The biggest acceleration is the 'backfacing' launch. And you can't whip people backwards with no shoulder restraint, and there are no shoulder restraints, so the acceleration is mild.

And there are no significant drops or significant 'air time.' It was built to be a 'family coaster' like Slinky Dog Dash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom