News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

david10225

With a long ride time and I imagine several vehicles on the track at a time, I wonder what the reset time will be for a malfunction/sensor trip...

tommyhawkins

It’s a prototype. The speed of travel is irrelevant. It still spins when at certain points.
But its average speed is actually 25-30mph. And the chances are it will rotate from backwards to forwards position at around 50mph so I'm not really sure what his point is about being at a snails pace

tommyhawkins

With a long ride time and I imagine several vehicles on the track at a time, I wonder what the reset time will be for a malfunction/sensor trip...
what happens with space Mountain when this happens?
He doesn’t think it is actually possible to rotate the cars with any sort of precision while the train is moving at more than a slow speed.
seems somewhat deliberately antagonistic
cool vid this makes me even more excited for it!
glad you liked it

Hawg G

He doesn’t think it is actually possible to rotate the cars with any sort of precision while the train is moving at more than a slow speed.

Wow, someone gets it. Going from backwards to forwards at high speed, sure. Rotating to keep folks faced in a certain direction as they go around curves and helixes at speed? I just don’t see it. And, I just don’t see the point of spending a lot of money for that capability.

I’ve ridden Gringotts when the cars didn’t rotate properly before the final launch, and it wasn’t really comfortable. To rotate to see set pieces and screens like Gringotts, a coaster that is much closer to what the video shows, it makes sense.

I do really feel this will end up like the Dwarf Hill swinging. It’s essentially pointless, and most folks probably don’t even notice it until the brake run.

lazyboy97o

Wow, someone gets it. Going from backwards to forwards at high speed, sure. Rotating to keep folks faced in a certain direction as they go around curves and helixes at speed? I just don’t see it. And, I just don’t see the point of spending a lot of money for that capability.
It’s math. No different than Dueling Dragons calculating what was needed to get the two trains to duel over 20 years ago.

The capability is part of Vekoma’s offerings. It already exists. It was even conceived of to allow for dark ride segments and Vekoma advertises their flying coaster as able to switch to dark ride segments.

Hawg G

It’s math. No different than Dueling Dragons calculating what was needed to get the two trains to duel over 20 years ago.

The capability is part of Vekoma’s offerings. It already exists. It was even conceived of to allow for dark ride segments and Vekoma advertises their flying coaster as able to switch to dark ride segments.

If it’s nothing more than a set program of rotation that triggers at some point in the ride, that would likely work reasonably well. I still don’t really get the point. Motors and gears moving under high speed stress just seems like something that will quickly become a maintenance nightmare. And or a shakey mess like 4D coasters.

MaximumEd

If it’s nothing more than a set program of rotation that triggers at some point in the ride, that would likely work reasonably well. I still don’t really get the point. Motors and gears moving under high speed stress just seems like something that will quickly become a maintenance nightmare. And or a shakey mess like 4D coasters.
While certainly not apples to apples, motors drive ring gears that spin the cab and arm of large excavators. No way those are under lots of stress, right? I don’t see why this would be that difficult with sensors in the track and computers to make sure the car is at a set rotational point when it passes a sensor. There’s certainly reason to expect Disney to over promise and under deliver, but I can’t figure out why this is your hill to die on when it doesn’t seem to be super complicated to implement.

mergatroid

Ok, here's a somewhat finalised POV. it comes with a lot of caveats, Planet Coaster/No limits 2 "experts" need not come back to me with feedback I have no interest in mastering coaster renderings, but perhaps this will give you a sense of what you're getting and somewhat put to bed some misconceptions and perhaps spark conversations of what it could be rather than discourse

Well done, enjoyed watching that.

tommyhawkins

When SM cascades, they have to release the cars one at a time, bottom to top. Takes about 45 mn to hour
thats what I thought happened, but couldnt speak with confidence .

I mean i don't know they are dispatching this way, however we have only seen the trains pictured in Pairs, and the load platform is only 18 metres in the longest straight part so I really can't see them sending long trains, I can count at least 10-12 block sections so i think the SM style dispatches is possible.

Hawg G

While certainly not apples to apples, motors drive ring gears that spin the cab and arm of large excavators. No way those are under lots of stress, right? I don’t see why this would be that difficult with sensors in the track and computers to make sure the car is at a set rotational point when it passes a sensor. There’s certainly reason to expect Disney to over promise and under deliver, but I can’t figure out why this is your hill to die on when it doesn’t seem to be super complicated to implement.
It wasn't my hill to die on, but the Diznoids attacked when I questioned just how much it would rotate.

But comparing excavators to coaster cars is.... perhaps a bit off?

MaximumEd

It wasn't my hill to die on, but the Diznoids attacked when I questioned just how much it would rotate.

But comparing excavators to coaster cars is.... perhaps a bit off?
Stress on a ring gear and motor driven pinion doesn’t know or care whether it’s on a coaster car or John Deere 60 mini-ex, provided the materials are properly spec'd and engineered. You stated that a rotation mechanism may be stressed to the point that it would be a maintenance problem. My experience with heavy equipment in harsh conditions says otherwise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom