News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

EPCOTCenterLover

Baxter loves IP. I think because he doesn't excell in telling a story. Thunder works, beautifully so, but the whole story only became clear after decades. He found no good way of telling it on the ride (arguably intuitively the rider understood nevertheless, which is even better). At Imagination he used original characters, with not even an established physical universe to draw from as with Thunder, so he felt he needed to open with their introduction, the rather static 'origin movie' first three minutes Splash' does use IP, so now again Baxter doesn't explain anything, and the attraction story is exceedingly difficult to figure out. The only times he truly succeeded in telling a ride's story in an efficient way are indeed with Indy and Star Wars - drawing on well defined characters and universes.
And he’s such a genius at what he does, most all his attractions are beloved. Reminds me of the way Walt told stories as well.

The Empress Lilly

And he’s such a genius at what he does, most all his attractions are beloved. Reminds me of the way Walt told stories as well.
And not merely beloved, but fantastic rides too.

Tony can't tell a story like Walt could though...

When Baxter draws from his own backstory to inform his ride he either tells/told too little (Thunder), or too much (Imagination). When he draws from IP he assumes too much familiarity (Splash), or too little (Star Tours - fans never knew which Death Star he was blowing up. A third?)
He's great at creating a setting, at understanding where the fun is, at tonality: innocent, direct, non-ironic. Joyful Figment is a great mascot for Baxter's Disney, he encapsulates the spirit of his rides.

The Empress Lilly

The story of Splash Mountain is difficult to follow? Dude suffers from “grass is greener” syndrome, runs away, gets chased by a fox (all foxes are bad) and a dumb bear (all bears are dumb—see CBJ), ev’rybody starts telling jokes until the bunny gets caught in tar...err honey, but he escapes and everything is satisfactual again. Easy breezy.

All that’s missing is the happy slave and kid who’s parents are getting divorced. That kind of storyline only works at gritty DAK.
Now I'll never stop thinking about which ride Rhodhe would've turned Splash into....

...you enter through a queue with fifty million props Rohdhe and his team bought on a study trip hiking four months through Southern bayous in 1992... then you board a stagecoach driving through the Old South...when your coach gets stuck in the ruins of a war torn town....as you try to escape, your coach now SPINS BACKWARDS!...you make it back to safety having learned that war and slavery are bad...over.

ToTBellHop

Now I'll never stop thinking about which ride Rhodhe would've turned Splash into....

...you enter through a queue with fifty million props Rohdhe and his team bought on a study trip hiking four months through Southern bayous in 1992... then you board a stagecoach driving through the Old South...when your coach gets stuck in the ruins of a war torn town....as you try to escape, your coach now SPINS BACKWARDS!...you make it back to safety having learned that war and slavery are bad...over.
$700 million

MLevell

For DCA the obvious story is that because the kind-of-villainous alien The Collector has come to Earth and built a new museum in California, The Avengers have built a new West Coast HQ nearby to keep an eye on him, at that facility Peter Parker and Tony Stark are designing new Web Tech and run a training scenario (Spider-Man D-Ticket), Avengers West Coast HQ then gets attacked by another villain (Avengers E-Ticket). That makes perfect sense to me.

Personally as a lifelong comic book and theme park fan I have been waiting for new great superhero rides for a long time, there is no theme park commercial as iconic for me as the Islands of Adventure one with Spidey and Doc Ock battling on the wing of the plane, so I say bring it on, I want Universal to put a new Marvel ride in the Toon Lagoon theater space, I want Disney to put great unique MCU rides in every park, I want the DC characters to be treated better than Six Flags treats them.

So yeah, consider me a minority I guess but of all the things that we know are coming to WDW for the 50th nothing has me as excited as The Guardians Coaster.

seascape

Honestly shocked Universal hasn't tried to get the DC rights from Six Flags (who does zero with them). Imagine a Universal Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman/Aquaman ride!
Six Flags is not about to let the DC rights go. They never missed a penny when they were in bankruptcy and now that they are profitable they don't have to worry. Additionally, Universal can't buy Six Flags to get the rights because if either Universal or Disney purchased Six Flags the rights go back to WB. Any other company can buy Six Flags and get the rights but WB wanted to make sure neither Universal nor Disney could ever get these rights.

Rteetz

From Bioreconstruct

RSoxNo1

Baxter loves IP. I think because he doesn't excell in telling a story. Thunder works, beautifully so, but the whole story only became clear after decades. He found no good way of telling it on the ride (arguably intuitively the rider understood nevertheless, which is even better). At Imagination he used original characters, with not even an established physical universe to draw from as with Thunder, so he felt he needed to open with their introduction, the rather static 'origin movie' first three minutes Splash' does use IP, so now again Baxter doesn't explain anything, and the attraction story is exceedingly difficult to figure out. The only times he truly succeeded in telling a ride's story in an efficient way are indeed with Indy and Star Wars - drawing on well defined characters and universes.
Baxter also excels at using IP where it belongs by finding appropriate story treatments. He recognizes the need for a healthy balance and where to make the IP the star and where not to be. This is a guy that was involved with Indiana Jones Adventure, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, Star Tours and the original Figment. None of those attractions felt forced in any way shape or form.

Jon81uk

Honestly shocked Universal hasn't tried to get the DC rights from Six Flags (who does zero with them). Imagine a Universal Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman/Aquaman ride!
Six Flags is not about to let the DC rights go. They never missed a penny when they were in bankruptcy and now that they are profitable they don't have to worry. Additionally, Universal can't buy Six Flags to get the rights because if either Universal or Disney purchased Six Flags the rights go back to WB. Any other company can buy Six Flags and get the rights but WB wanted to make sure neither Universal nor Disney could ever get these rights.

and having been to Warner Bros Movie World in Australia they do a bit more with the DC characters than Six Flags. There are still big lightly themed rollercoasters, but also an excellent Justice League shooting ride (similar to Men in Black at Uni). Yes their use of the characters isn't as immersive as Islands of Adventure, but it was better than Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom