News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

ChrisFL

Premium Member
or they could make it a silver building, then build a pyramid on the other side of SSE and they could get sponsored by EA

Electronic_Arts_old-logo.png

GlacierGlacier

In fairness, they had tax reasons for doing so. It was cheaper for them to spend the extra money to get the work done faster than pay a higher tax bill.
It was also mandated on high from Comcast.

After Execs rode the attraction in Hollywood, they ordered on in FL. And they wanted it in a year.

To get it done in time, they cloned it pretty much to the blueprint. So much so that they copied a few issues from the original attraction that they encountered during construction.

The ride contains four lifts. During the testing of one right after installation, they crushed a drywall wall.

They had crushed the exact same wall in Hollywood.

Mike S

It was also mandated on high from Comcast.

After Execs rode the attraction in Hollywood, they ordered on in FL. And they wanted it in a year.

To get it done in time, they cloned it pretty much to the blueprint. So much so that they copied a few issues from the original attraction that they encountered during construction.

The ride contains four lifts. During the testing of one right after installation, they crushed a drywall wall.

They had crushed the exact same wall in Hollywood.
Who doesn’t notice that they’re building something in the direct path of an elevator? Let alone doing it twice?

GlacierGlacier

Who doesn’t notice that they’re building something in the direct path of an elevator? Let alone doing it twice?
Attractions are complicated construction pieces.

The number of issues like this that show up is sizable.

And the reason it showed up twice was because they didn't have the time to alter/double-check the original plans. 11 months from start to finish doesn't allow many design/engineering changes.

LittleBuford

Having just got back from WDW and seen the building for myself, I’m satisfied that it isn’t the blight on the skyline that some feared. Honestly, the Test Track building is more conspicuous, not to mention the Swolphin, which is by far the most jarring disruption to World Showcase. Since I paid special attention to sightlines during this trip, I noticed for the first time just how visible the Contemporary is from Liberty Square. It’s not a problem, of course, because our eyes generally know what to notice and what to disregard in any given context. Those not looking to be bothered by the Guardians building won’t be.

yensidtlaw1969

Having just got back from WDW and seen the building for myself, I’m satisfied that it isn’t the blight on the skyline that some feared. Honestly, the Test Track building is more conspicuous, not to mention the Swolphin, which is by far the most jarring disruption to World Showcase. Since I paid special attention to sightlines during this trip, I noticed for the first time just how visible the Contemporary is from Liberty Square. It’s not a problem, of course, because our eyes generally know what to notice and what to disregard in any given context. Those not looking to be bothered by the Guardians building won’t be.
At least Swolphin, Test Track, and The Contemporary are designed and themed buildings, meant to be encountered by guests onstage, imperfect though their intrusions are. Guardians is a building they painted blue so it "wouldn't be noticed", despite being the second-tallest building in the park and the largest by volume.

I'm less concerned with how it looks from World Showcase (not that I'm thrilled) than I am from the arrival to the park. For 40 years it was a pure, designed experience with no intrusions. Now there's a big blue box that's just as noticeable as the park's icon.

LittleBuford

At least Swolphin, Test Track, and The Contemporary are designed and themed buildings, meant to be encountered by guests onstage, imperfect though their intrusions are. Guardians is a building they painted blue so it "wouldn't be noticed", despite being the second-tallest building in the park and the largest by volume.

I'm less concerned with how it looks from World Showcase (not that I'm thrilled) than I am from the arrival to the park. For 40 years it was a pure, designed experience with no intrusions. Now there's a big blue box that's just as noticeable as the park's icon.

But if the issue is sightline integrity, why is a boring blue box that calls little attention to itself worse than a themed eyesore like the Swolphin? One of them is easy to edit from view, the other impossible to ignore.

As to your second point, I admit to not being as concerned as others are about how the parks look from the outside (with the exception of the Magic Kingdom). I can see how the building would bother those for whom such views matter.

yensidtlaw1969

But if the issue is sightline integrity, why is a boring blue box that calls little attention to itself worse than a themed eyesore like the Swolphin? One of them is easy to edit from view, the other impossible to ignore.

As to your second point, I admit to not being as concerned as others are about how the parks look from the outside (with the exception of the Magic Kingdom). I can see how the building would bother those for whom such views matter.
I'm generally of the opinion that the box DOES call attention to itself by the nature of it being so massive, to the point that it would have been better to just theme the thing -- "If you can't hide it, feature it". I agree that the Swolphin is a problem within Epcot, but at least it doesn't insult our intelligence by pretending we can't see it.

Guardians fares a little better from inside the park than outside, but not so much that it's worth trying to pretend the building isn't there. The Gravity Building for Rock N' Roller Coaster is really only visible from one or two spaces in or outside the park, and even that got dressed with the Soundstage Treatment that characterized DHS. And isn't the Guardians Gravity Building even bigger than RNR?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom