News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

ppete1975

Even though older... little saint nick would be awesome... then the jackson 5, elvis, then of course all of the classics .. they have soooooo many options.

1665411226990.png
1665411263727.png

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Is it a good experience? Yes, if you don’t get sick.

Is it revolutionary? No.

Is it in the right park? No.

Is it worth the budget? IMHO no.

Fully agree.

My thoughts:

The first part of the queue had me scratching my head - Why is this here? Apparently you have to be in that area for a while before you are "entertained" by it?

Upstairs part of the queue is rather ridiculous - way too much going on and it's overload (and over-done).

Pre-shows try to build towards something which never pays off, and the teleportation room is just silly. The upstairs queue and pre-shows are ... not very good. o_O

The ride itself is fine, as long as you don't get sick, as mentioned. Physically not something I'll likely do more than once per visit to Epcot, if I go back. It quickly loses the entire story that is trying to be told, or else you're so focused on other things that you lose it, which boggles my mind.

The music - I have no idea why people are gushing over the music. If you're riding this for the music, we're not going to be able to have a serious discussion about it.

But... a Christmas overlay!! That will fix everything...

chrisbarry

This ride is a total blast from start to finish. My whole family thought so. Another friend and her party of 16 on a recent trip all thought so. Pretty surprised to hear so many people disliking it. Or actually…. I guess I’m not.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
line will likely always be long
Right now, the lines are only the rather controlled Lightning Lane folks and the VQ folks. There is no standby.

Please explain how you experienced "long lines" all the times you rode Cosmic Rewind, when such new E-Tickets are usually more than 2 hours to ride and of my four rides (2 LL, 2 VQ) I never waited more than 30 minutes in a queue for it.

TrojanUSC

For those who didn't like the pre-shows: What should have happened instead? Just a bunch of switchbacks with no pre-shows? Armchair Imagineer for me how you would have done the pre-shows that would have satisfied everyone, especially repeat riders.

I think one pre-show is more than enough, not two. The Terry Crews writing is just cringeworthy. Starting with his first "Epcot-ians" line.

Just have Glenn Close narrating your mission of what you're about to do (a la Dinosaur). ROTR works because the second pre-show is a ride in and of itself. Plus the writing isn't godawful. Plus it's not just a roller coaster.

fgmnt

For those who didn't like the pre-shows: What should have happened instead? Just a bunch of switchbacks with no pre-shows? Armchair Imagineer for me how you would have done the pre-shows that would have satisfied everyone, especially repeat riders.
I think the direction and writing from after Glenn Close disappears to when you get on the ride is just not very good. How could it be better? I don't know; I work in public accounting.

Epcot82Guy

Five ideas:

1. In short, rework the Dinosaur story. The pavilion is renamed Wonders of the Universe (featuring Cosmic Rewind). The focus is on planetary history. The first room is and explanation of how galaxies form and planets are formed (based on real science) going back to the big bang. This could be done museum style or by Glenn. You then enter the showcase room, and it continues that story, focusing on the planets of our solar system. Again, based on real science. You then enter the transport room, allowing us to see the formation of our solar system - form using their time travel device. Our Raccoon friend then interrupts, offering to take us on a spin through space to get a better view instead. And, of course, you need tunes, and we get to close to the big bang and just make it back.

2. Wonders of Energy. The Xandarians are creating a showcase to explain energy to our young, curious civilization. So inspired by Epcot, they wanted to add their knowledge. The focus becomes around sources of energy in the main room, going back to the big bang. The second room showcases our primitive energy resources (sustainable options), in a humorous way pandering to us almost like little kids learning to ride a bike. From there, a similar story line to 1 where you go back in time to see that big bang and get too close.

3. Keep the Name as is. This would draw from the old ideas of Studios. The first room focuses on how CGI allows us to create the incredible worlds we see on screen. The showcase room includes actual tools and examples of how it's done in modern filmmaking. We then preview Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind, setting it in various stages of development. (Though without the Eson story if I had my choice), and the transport room is Rocket bringing us into the film. From there, we generally go as is. The exit hall becomes a showcase of how the effects on the ride were created.

4. A similar version to 3, but the story becomes how science fiction is created. You'd need to rearrange things a little bit. So, the first room is a more blank box area focused on famous sci Fi in history and it's role. You then go into the preview room where a Disney creator talks about finding inspiration. For example, you could take Epcot, and add the idea of the Xandarians being inspired by Words Showcase and wanting to showcase their technology. You then transport, going into that creation. And the ride plays out generally the same with the Xandarian showcase room coming next. You then have a shorter, additional pre show offering to take you to the planet to see it live, then Rocket offering to pilot you instead, and then a hectic ride through space with the Guardians. And we don't quite make it and come back to Epcot. You then add a post show with examples of inspirations Disney filmmakers used to create ideas from the Guardians films (and beyond).

5. This is total fan service, so I don't think it would actually be viable. But fun for those of us on these boards. You actually lean into the silly Peter Quill and Epcot story. The pavilion becomes the Wonders of Epcot. You first two rooms are actually based on Epcot history and the attractions of the past. The preview room is then a presentation about Epcot that Peter and team interrupt. They offer to take you back in time to"really see the Epcot of his childhood". You board the ships and, as always, something goes wrong - you go back too far. We then dodge the big bang to get back to present day. And, the dialogue has lots of Easter Eggs to lost Epcot attractions (like Veggie Groot Groot, "We're back at the big bang! The ding dang? The piggy bank?"). You could even do the backstage exit gag here with a lot of other references, like a store room for old Epcot things. Obviously, I'd love using old Epcot songs, but the Mix Tape makes more sense for relatability.

Hawg G

Hard disagree. Before riding it, I was concerned, but after having done so multiple times, it became one of my favorites.

They used parts of the song that feels exciting on-ride. All of the songs are fantastic.
I don't understand the people who have ridden enough for all the songs multiple times. Unless it was CM tests, how can you stand the trouble of getting the VQ and deal with the preshows that much?

bhg469

I don't understand the people who have ridden enough for all the songs multiple times. Unless it was CM tests, how can you stand the trouble of getting the VQ and deal with the preshows that much?
I have only ridden it three times but as a local I could easily have made an attempt to ride it virtually twice every weekend since it opened if I wanted to... Which I do not.

bhg469

Right now, the lines are only the rather controlled Lightning Lane folks and the VQ folks. There is no standby.

Please explain how you experienced "long lines" all the times you rode Cosmic Rewind, when such new E-Tickets are usually more than 2 hours to ride and of my four rides (2 LL, 2 VQ) I never waited more than 30 minutes in a queue for it.
I read it as, once the VQ is no longer being used, the lines will be long... Which absolutely checks out.. I have a feeling the wait won't be as bad as the rat because it is a coaster at the end of the day and even though it is mild, it will be way too much for a lot of Disney guests.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
I personally really enjoyed the ride the two times I rode it last month. I also enjoyed the pre-shows, even if they're not RoTR quality. Absolutely lost the story on the ride, but the ride is so fun it didn't bother me too much. It's fun to go back and try to piece it together on subsequent rides.

I almost always love holiday overlays, but I do find it a bit annoying they'd replace all the songs with one song/mashup instead of replacing the songs with a few holiday songs so it's still a surprise on each ride during the holidays.

Is the ONLY overlay change the song? Or will there be other changes too? Overlay implies visual changes to me, but the focus seems to be only on the song. I can't really imagine changes during the ride, but I guess Terry Crews might have an alt video wearing a Mickey Santa hat?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom