Grocery Stores

Kellylynn322

Can anyone tell me where the Grocery Stores are near WDW? We are going August 20th-25 staying at OKW in a 2 bdrm and would like to save some $$$ on at least breakfast (1 character already planned and Whispering Canyons).

Thanks everyone!

EmeraldDolphin

:hammer: :hammer: guess I should read better before I reply... sorry... if you know how to get out to Rte 192, there are 2 that I can think of right there, and I know there are 2 over closer to Sea World on International Drive.

Upvote 0

EmeraldDolphin

I don't know anything about the store at OKW... but, another thought... there is a super WalMart down rte 192, and they are more reasonably priced than the Publix markets...

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

Wal Mart is the best. Especially for breakfast. We went there and got some Lenders (unfrozen) bagels and just ate them for breakfast. The hotel food court should have toasters and free butter, cream cheese, and jelly. It worked out perfectly! Also, look into the refillable mugs....a really great deal.

PS. there is a food store called Goodings nearby, but I think it has mainly gormet foods in it. Maybe someone could back me up on this.

Upvote 0

PAFAN

There is a small chain of grocery stores in Orlando called Goodings. They are very upscale supermarkets with full deli and take out sections. Freat desert section, plus all the regular provisions. Fresh Orange juice is always available.

There is one of these in the shopping center right at the WDW entrance/exit at Lake Buena Vista Boulevard...i.e. turn at Downtown Disney and pass all of the original hotels. At the light, (at the exit), just go straight.

There is also one of these in Celebration at the main square.

Prices are very competitive...

Have fun!

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by PAFAN
There is a small chain of grocery stores in Orlando called Goodings. They are very upscale supermarkets with full deli and take out sections. Freat desert section, plus all the regular provisions. Fresh Orange juice is always available.

There is one of these in the shopping center right at the WDW entrance/exit at Lake Buena Vista Boulevard...i.e. turn at Downtown Disney and pass all of the original hotels. At the light, (at the exit), just go straight.

There is also one of these in Celebration at the main square.

Prices are very competitive...

Have fun!

Wow...I don't think Goodings is competitive at all. I think they are really expensive compared to Publix, Winn Dixie, and Wal-Mart.

There are two Publix that I know of on the DTD side, and a couple on the AK/All-Stars end of 192.

Go to the light at the exit (like above), instead of going straight, turn right and procede to the first light after passing I4. Take a left there. You'll be headed down by the Factory Outlets, Mary Queen of the Universe shrine, Dixie Stampeed. Take the first right after you pass the Outlet Mall and you'll see a Publix off on your left.

The other one is straight on down after hanging that right out of DTD. It's at the 192 intersection. It should be on the left.

Upvote 0

nikechic

OKW store isn't that well stocked. I would find an other store. I can't remember where my parents go but it was recommended to us by one of our friends who is a CM, and she told us that is where all the locals go because they don't charge tourist prices. I will find that out for you.

Maybe I will see you at OKW...I will be there the 7-16 of August.
If not, HAVE FUN

Upvote 0

bigE86

The OKW store has a fairly large selection, everything from milk to juice and from mini donuts to pop tarts and snack foods. They have apples and other fresh fruit as well.

As far as saving money for breakfast, my family usually buys those little boxes of cereal at home, pack them and buy milk at the OKW store.

Upvote 0

Bagheera

Gooding's is exceedingly high-priced. We saved about 40% off our usual grocery bill by going to Winn-Dixie and getting their discount card (you can sign up either on the web or at the customer service desk there). Complete directions from Old Key West (since everyone is assuming that you can navigate to Hotel Plaza Boulevard):

Exit the resort and turn right onto Community Drive. Take it as far as you can go and turn right onto Buena Vista Drive. Take it to the entrance of the Downtown Disney Marketplace and turn left onto Hotel Plaza Boulevard. (It's the first intersection with a traffic light.) Take Hotel Plaza Boulevard to the end, where it intersects with SR 535. The Crossroads Shopping Center will be directly across from you. (This is where Gooding's is located, as well as some good places for eating off property, Jungle Jim's and Chevy's.) Turn left onto SR 535, and Winn-Dixie will be (I believe) less than a mile down the road on your right. That said, we've found the produce at Winn-Dixie to be less than great. The produce at Gooding's, while expensive, is excellent.

We've tried Publix in other cities, but haven't tried it yet at Disney. We may do that next trip, so thanks to everyone for the directions.

(One additional note: If you're signed up for Upromise, Winn-Dixie is a participating supermarket, while Publix is not.)

The Conch Flats General Store at OKW is good in an emergency, or for just a couple of items, but the prices are so high that if you're stocking up for many meals, bypass it and go to the supermarket.

Upvote 0

Kellylynn322

Original Poster
Originally posted by nikechic
OKW store isn't that well stocked. I would find an other store. I can't remember where my parents go but it was recommended to us by one of our friends who is a CM, and she told us that is where all the locals go because they don't charge tourist prices. I will find that out for you.

Maybe I will see you at OKW...I will be there the 7-16 of August.
If not, HAVE FUN

Sorry we will miss you. I would have loved to at least say hello to someone from this board. We will be there from Aug 20-25th. Don't use up all the fun! :lol:

Upvote 0

Passport

While I agree with everything said above, if you just want some good food that is already made up for you, Goodings is the place to try. And a dollar or two more per luch isn't too bad. Now if you are looking for chips, drinks and other non deli type items, go to Winn-Dixie but get their stupid discount card. If you don't, you will not get any sale prices and some of there things are a little high (though not as high as Publix).

Upvote 0

Cruella

Any feedback on CBR's store? It's new since I was last there. We are looking for small, cheap, breakfast stuff (pre-made bagels, fruit, etc) without having to travel too far.

Upvote 0

RLS Legacy

We stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort in May, and you'll want to stop at a grocery store before checking in. Bagels and fruit are only available at the food court (bananas were $1 each), and peanut butter and the like were at the store, but in small, more expensive sizes. Think hotel gift shop prices, and you won't be far off.

If you fly, be aware that a jar of peanut butter will show up as a solid item in the X-Ray machine and will result in your luggage being opened and examined. Happened both sides of the trip, and both times the X-Ray operator looked up and said 'peanut butter, right?'

We also wanted to economize on breakfasts but didn't rent a car, so we packed one suitecase with food (bananas, non-refrigerated milk boxes, fruit cups, cereal, etc.) and used the empty suitcase to transport souveniers on the way back. Bananas wrapped in bubble pack can survive airport handling, BTW. For bread, we made a corrugated cardboard box the size of the loaf and it arrived fine.

There's something terribly wrong when it's cheaper to ship bananas to Michigan and repack 'em to Florida than buying them in the Sunshine State.

If you're driving or plan to rent a car in Orlando, AllEarsNet Airport Driving Directions website lists grocery stores on the way from the three major airports serving WDW to various resorts (including Old Key West).

No grocery stores on The DIS' guide to I-95, but it lists gas, lodging and food options by exit if you're driving.

Upvote 0

Cruella

Thanks for the great advice! I like the idea of packing food in the suitcase and having more room for the return trip for the "extra" stuff. Do you happen to know if CBR had fridges that you could request? I didn't see it listed in the ammenities.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom