Great Trip May 2004, Great Disney Service Part 1

Hello, I'm a new member. My name is Alan. I've been reading these boards for tips the past few months. My family (wife, 2 children ages 1 and 3 1/2. And Parents.

I wanted to write how good our trip was to WDW during the last week of May. We had 2 connecting rooms at the Caribbean Beach Resort. Everyone in the family loved the resort. We had a good location in Jamaica Bldg 44 right neat the quiet pool and a walk across the Island to the food court. Let me start by saying that WDW is just a fantastic place to visit. The high quality of all the attractions and the friendliness of the all the employees is just amazing. My parents came along to enjoy a relaxing vacation and to help us watch my 1 year old daughter while my wife and I spent much of the time going to the parks with my 3 1/2 year old daughter. My wife and I made a few trips during the 90's before we had children and they were great trips. But finally having our own daughter and watching her really enjoy everything just really made the trip something spectacular. Her favorite things were meeting the characters and driving the cars at the Magic Kingdom.
Here's the not so good part about our vacation: My dad became ill at the resort late in the week around 9pm. We had to call 911 from the resort and the paramedics were there within 5 min. They took him to Celebration Hospital where he spent 3 nights(I'm not going to go into detail about what happend but he's fine and back home). The Caribbean Beach resort manager also stopped by while the paramedics were there. He introduced himself and told me quote "whatever I needed he would help me and my family and hoped my dad was going to be ok" He also paid for my cab back to the resort at 2am. 20.00 dollars. The resort also wiped my phone bill clean since I was making lots of calls. Since this happened at the end of our vacation I statyed in Orlando for 3 extra nights with my dad and the rest of my family flew home (didnn't want to pay 100 change fee per ticket for the entire family). Went to the Caribbean guest services and explained that I needed 3 more nights and asked if I could have my discounted rate of 89.00 per night and they said no problem. All of this good service really impressed and I can say that Disney really came thru and made a very stressful situation less stressful. Hats off to Disney!! part 2 coming up.

awitkov

Original Poster
Great Trip May 2004, Great Disney Service Part 2

Let me continue by writing about the attractions we saw and the places we ate.

Magic Kingdom:
Did almost all the attractions. Favorites were Splash Mountain, Spectromagic Parade, Wishes, The new 3D show.
I did the E-Night on Memorial Day and it was great
No sit down meals. Ate mostly fast food. All of it was very good.

EPCOT:
Mission Space is great. Did not get sick or anything like that.
We toured around World Showcase and enjoyed all the little shows and attractions. American Adventure, British Invasion, Off Kilter and the Living Statue were all excellent.
We ate at Japan - Great meal, Germany - Great Meal (my daughter loved the dinner show)
Finished with Illuminations - Great show.

MGM:
Tower is my favorite ride and I rode it several times. I don't know what's more fun, the ride or watching people ride it for the first time. This attraction is so well themed and the ride so unique that this may be the best theme park attraction anywhere I've been.
We ate at the Sci-Fi diner and the meal was good. I think I had a Rueben.

Animal Kingdom:
This park is very well themed and the attractions were top notch. The worst thing at Disney is that spining coaster. It's rough and not fun at all.
Ate at Tusker House and the pizza place. Good meals.
The new coaster they are building looks great.

In General:
It was a hot week but we visited the parks several times so we would not burn out my daughter. The crowds were heavy so we used fast pass when we could.

Other restaurants:
O'Hana - My wife and I went here and the food was great.
Boma - Our family's favorite meal
1900 Park Fare - To see my daughter meet Cinderalla was just awesome! The food was very good.

Well that's about it. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Alan

Lilmama21

Hi from a fellow Illinoisian! :wave: Glad your dad is doing better - how great that the Caribbean CMs were able to make it a less stressful time for you. I've been in similiar situations before (sick on vacation) and had people treat my fam like peons which makes it so much worse. And it sounds like the rest of the vacation was wonderful. Hope yall can make it back down again when the one year old can enjoy it too :)

awitkov

Original Poster
Hello, thanks for the welcome.
Talk about being treated like peons. United Airlines treated us all like peons. Long story but I think people everywhere know how bad the airlines are. Disney talks customer service and they really mean it. On the last day when my dad got out of the hospital (he's not really a big Disney fan) while siting at the Wilderness Lodge Whispering Canyon cafe for dinner, he mentioned how great everything was down here and he'll be back. By the way the dinner was very good there.

BeachClubVillas

Originally posted by awitkov
Hello, thanks for the welcome.
Talk about being treated like peons. United Airlines treated us all like peons. Long story but I think people everywhere know how bad the airlines are. Disney talks customer service and they really mean it. On the last day when my dad got out of the hospital (he's not really a big Disney fan) while siting at the Wilderness Lodge Whispering Canyon cafe for dinner, he mentioned how great everything was down here and he'll be back. By the way the dinner was very good there.

Glad to hear your dad is doing well! The airlines don't have to be bad though. We fly Song Airlines, which is operated by Delta. Honestly, it's like an extension of Disney. The seats are all done in bright colors and the staff are the nicest I have ever seen on a plane. On our last trip, they even serenaded us during a delay! They don't fly out of everywhere though, but if you can do it, go for it! It's cheap too

awitkov

Original Poster
That sounds like a great tip. I will look them up next time I go to Florida which hopefully will be next year. Never too early to think about your next trip. Thanks.

AndyP

Re: Great Trip May 2004, Great Disney Service Part 2

Originally posted by awitkov
. The worst thing at Disney is that spining coaster. It's rough and not fun at all.

I have to disagree with that, the coaster is great fun, i rode it 6 times in a row once! (There wasn't any queue as it was park closing time). Though I'm not so sure about the theming!

I'm glad you had a great trip and that your dad is ok too, plus I'm glad you're going to return!

awitkov

Original Poster
Perhaps I judged the ride too harshly. All in all I thought Animal Kingdom was a superb park. With the new roller coaster which from the picture looks very well themed, the park will get even better. It says you are vacationing in July 2004. Have a great trip. Also, thanks to all for mentioning my dad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom