Great Movie Ride - Visible Strings?

yensidtlaw1969

Original Poster
A little random, but I just came across a picture that reminded me of something I've wondered for a while:

Does anyone know what these weird Strings used to be in The Great Movie Ride? Look between Mary and Bert - there's a piece of, like, Monofilament that ran taught from the grid down to the floor. It wasn't there from the beginning but appeared sometime in its run, was weirdly visible, and though I can't summon pictures immediately I recall there being several of them throughout the ride in its final years. The one between Mary and Bert was the most conspicuous because it was right in the main focus of the scene:

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 2.27.08 AM.png

I've never been able to come up with a logical idea for what these would have been and why they would be there. Can't think of any other ride where I've seen somethign like this for no reason. Does anyone here have any insight? It's always been a funny mystery to me and I can't be the only one who ever noticed them.

Thanks!

DBF John

A little random, but I just came across a picture that reminded me of something I've wondered for a while:

Does anyone know what these weird Strings used to be in The Great Movie Ride? Look between Mary and Bert - there's a piece of, like, Monofilament that ran taught from the grid down to the floor. It wasn't there from the beginning but appeared sometime in its run, was weirdly visible, and though I can't summon pictures immediately I recall there being several of them throughout the ride in its final years. The one between Mary and Bert was the most conspicuous because it was right in the main focus of the scene:

View attachment 515819

I've never been able to come up with a logical idea for what these would have been and why they would be there. Can't think of any other ride where I've seen somethign like this for no reason. Does anyone here have any insight? It's always been a funny mystery to me and I can't be the only one who ever noticed them.

Thanks!
Considering what appears to be a lack of safe access for CMs, it might be a line to pull down a retractable life line to snap onto a safety harness when CMs had to climb the set to neaten up the AAs, had some where I use to work.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

I came upon this photo which shows an extended view including a portion of the line and the rafters above. At first glance there doesnt appear to be anything in the rafters (too dark) but using a magnifying glass there is something in the third square.

The-Great-Movie-Ride_Full_30767.jpg

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I came upon this photo which shows an extended view including a portion of the line and the rafters above. At first glance there doesnt appear to be anything in the rafters (too dark) but using a magnifying glass there is something in the third square.

View attachment 516364
Is this image flipped? I thought Mary and Bert were on the left side of the vehicle.

DBF John

View attachment 516364
I believe the rafters are a faux treatment to look like old school stages, if it is for Fall Arrest, it would need to be anchored to structure able to withstand a min. 5000lbs of force.

yensidtlaw1969

Original Poster
Considering what appears to be a lack of safe access for CMs, it might be a line to pull down a retractable life line to snap onto a safety harness when CMs had to climb the set to neaten up the AAs, had some where I use to work.
So far this is off and away the most plausible conclusion I’ve come across for what these lines could be. Seems very likely to me. Thank you so much for your response!

JIMINYCR

I believe the rafters are a faux treatment to look like old school stages, if it is for Fall Arrest, it would need to be anchored to structure able to withstand a min. 5000lbs of force.
Yes, the rafters dont look substantial to hold any weight bearing device as in a Fall Arrest... but the ceiling structured above those could. Unfortunately there are no lighter photos I have seen that will give us a look at whats above inside those rafter squares. Too bad we dont have a CM who once worked the attraction report in to clear up the mystery.

muddyrivers

I spoke with a GMR cast member who said "it could have been attached to the scrim to keep it out of the way when Mary moved up and down. But, let me ask the guys who built the place." I will post here if/when I get any additional information.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom